new DVD player wanted...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Manuman, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Pioneer 717, which i also use for CD playback. However, the 717 doesnt play SVCD's, can anyone recommend a player for around £400 that is good with movies AND music and also plays SVCD's?

Thanks.

2. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you considered just getting a cheapo do it all DVD player that will play vcds, svcds, mp3s etc. For example I bought a Dansai 952 (£99 from Tescos) for just such a purpose, I am sure there are cheaper models about.

3. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i have a decent Tv and would like DVD playback to be up to scratch so i hadnt thought of anything along those lines really, you think its up to it?

4. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Manuman, I meant in addition to, not as a replacement for, your current player. I had perfectly good DVD player at the time but wanted SVCD capability. However if you are interested in a general upgrade for picture and sound quality then ignore my suggestion.

5. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaah, sorry mate. I get you now. Hmm, i think id prefer to keep the box count down tbh, although it is a good suggestion. Thanks for your input mate.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I would (depending on budget) go for something like a Pioneer DV-656A This way you get DVD-A and SACD if you want it in the future and it should play SVCD. Look here http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=PIODV656BK I would email Hifibitz to check on SVCD playback (hifibitz, are great IMHO).
    PS a GOld 717 MR just sold for £145 in the classifieds, So you should get some money back from your player if you didn't want to use it elsewhere.

7. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i wouldn't trade a serie 7xx for a serie 6xx player, though the 656 it's a great player.

Go for a 757! I had a 717 (loved it) and now bought a 757, best piece of kit ever had!

8. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it play SVCDs?

9. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: