New DVD player to go with new TV

oglop44

Standard Member
Just bought a LG 32LB75, I've already got a Yamaha 5.1 system set up but my amp doesn't have HDMI connections. So I'm looking for a DVD player with traditional connections that'll still give me a decent picture on my new TV but it needs a Digital Coaxial socket too for my sound system.

Any ideas?
No budget at the moment but I'm not looking for anything special :D

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Just bought a LG 32LB75, I've already got a Yamaha 5.1 system set up but my amp doesn't have HDMI connections. So I'm looking for a DVD player with traditional connections that'll still give me a decent picture on my new TV but it needs a Digital Coaxial socket too for my sound system.

Any ideas?
No budget at the moment but I'm not looking for anything special :D

Why do you need a AV amp with HDMI connections?
Get either an upscaling DVD player with HDMI out and if you have run out of optical connections on your AV amp then yes you will need a DVD player with co-ax out.
It would have been useful if you stated what else is connected and how.
Hopefully you have not connected the TV to the Av amp via optical as that is a total waste of time via one of your Scart connections you should have audio left and right out available as that is all the TV is going to give anyway.
If you got the Toshiba EP35 HDDVD (with 7 free HDDVD's) with 5.1 direct out this would connect to your AV amp using the 5.1 direct in (6x phono leads) and not require optical or co-ax, the DVD player would decode everything including Dolby HD audio for a great sound.

oglop44

Standard Member
OK, at this very moment in time I've got a 20" SD TV connected witha video lead (yellow) to my Yamaha amp. the amp has got 5 speakers + subwoofer connected to it + Very cheap DVD player (Video cable and digital coaxial for audio) + Xbox 360 (Composite cables) and Freeview box (Composite cables).

My new TV is coming in about a week. I want a new DVD player to get the best out of my DVD collection on my new TV but I want to keep my 5.1 audio. Any better?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
OK, at this very moment in time I've got a 20" SD TV connected witha video lead (yellow) to my Yamaha amp. the amp has got 5 speakers + subwoofer connected to it + Very cheap DVD player (Video cable and digital coaxial for audio) + Xbox 360 (Composite cables) and Freeview box (Composite cables).

My new TV is coming in about a week. I want a new DVD player to get the best out of my DVD collection on my new TV but I want to keep my 5.1 audio. Any better?

DO NOT use yellow or composite connections on your new TV, that type of connection is utter rubbish/poorest connection possible etc and you will be VERY dis-appointed with the quality on your TV.
XBOX use HDMI/Component/VGA never use SCART/composite.
Freeview Box if still required use SCART to TV and set to RGB.
DVD player I have already stated.

What 5.1 inputs has your Yamaha got? is it 2 opticals and one co-ax? therefore 1 optical for XBOX and one for your old DVD player.

oglop44

Standard Member
DO NOT use yellow or composite connections on your new TV, that type of connection is utter rubbish/poorest connection possible etc and you will be VERY dis-appointed with the quality on your TV.
XBOX use HDMI/Component/VGA never use SCART/composite.
Freeview Box if still required use SCART to TV and set to RGB.
DVD player I have already stated.

What 5.1 inputs has your Yamaha got? is it 2 opticals and one co-ax? therefore 1 optical for XBOX and one for your old DVD player.

That's my Yamaha
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv359.html

It's got no HDMI sockets so HDMI on the Xbox is out of the question I think?
Freeview will be built into the TV (Is there a way to get 5.1 from that too?
And where is the offer on the above DVD player? Which website?

Thanks for all your help so far

EDIT: If I can get 5.1 out of my Xbox with the new TV, would the 360 HD DVD player be worth a look?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I go back to my original question?
Why do you need a AV amp with HDMI connections?

The best advice I can give is "ONLY CONNECT VIDEO SOURCES TO A AV AMP IF ABSOLUTLY NECESSARY".

So XBOX video connection to TV = VGA or Component. XBOX audio to AV amp = optical.
Optical from TV to AV amp is a waste of a good connection just for Freeview as it is only stereo. When you get your TV check to see if one of the Scart connections has audio out from the TV then all you will require is a Scart (with in/out switch) to two phonos and connect to a stereo input on the AV amp then select Dolby prologic II which is pretend surround.
That should leave you with a co-ax and optical spare on the AV amp for a DVD player.

If you just want normal Dolby then http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3497129/Toshiba-HD-EP30-HD-DVD-Player/Product.html
Else http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...5-HD-DVD-Player/Product.html?searchtype=genre for DOLBY HD Audio

You get two DVD's with the player (Bourne Supremacy and 300) and send off for 5 others http://media.play.com/trailers/elec/hddvd/5_bonus_hddvd.pdf

oglop44

Standard Member
Thank you so much! I've never thought about doing that, only putting the audio through the Amp. Very clever. That's that sorted then. It's a nice offer with those DVD's too but is it really that much better than the Xbox HD-DVd player. There's a decent price difference but will I be able to see the diference?

Thanks again, almost sorted now

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom