1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD Player required with NTSC/PAL Prog Scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by toadie, Dec 11, 2003.

1. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, Im after a dvd player that can output both NTSC and PAL progessive scan. Im not having much luck at the minute and just cannot decide what to get.

Im quite keen on the Harman/Kardon DVD 506 Limited Edition, although i'm not quite sure if it does PAL Prog?

Then I was also after a Toshiba 530, but cannot find anything about this player anywhere, so I guess that is outta the question.

Im open to other suggestions too.

Budget is pretty much anything under the £500 mark, but looking around the £300 if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Toadie

2. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about teh Samsung 935?

3. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried on google to search for that player, but didnt really get any joy.

Also looked on the samsung UK site, and it's not listed there.

Cheers

Toadie

4. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  5. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks RAD, looks good. Although looks like a very new product. Would like to read some reviews 1st or hear from some members.

Seems very cheap for what it can do.

Cheers

Mart...

6. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm in the same boat mate, so apologies for hijacking your thread, but I've looked at the following:

YAMAHA DVD-S540 (£199)
    SONY S730 (£139.95)
    MARANTZ DV4300 (£199.95)
    Harmon Kardon DVD-25 (£250)

all of which I think offer prog. scan (both Pal & NTSC).
    Struggling to decide which is the best way to turn myself! i'm leaning toward the Sony, 'cos my last player was a sony and it was (still it) fantastic...

7. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries, tell me about it !!! I must have made a decision about 5 times on a player, then decided NO. LOL it's starting to get on my nerves a bit now though.

Think I might go for the Harman/Kardon DVD 506 Limited Edition

Does anyone own one of these yet ? Or seen a review !

Cheers

Toadie

8. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just found this link (Here) to HK DVD506 Limited Edition £280 ish. Definately doea both Pal and NTSC Prog scan according to spec. looks cool.

Cheers

Croc

9. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    toadie,

The HD935 is excellent via DVI but not as good as an old Tosh 210 via component.

If you are feeding a device with a DVI (HDCP) input then go for the HD935.

If you are looking at a component feed then I can recommend the Denon DVD2200

See also my quote from another thread below-

Regards,

Chris L.

---

"fred1213go - just to let you know that I have today sold my HD935

Having played around a bit with my Denon DVD2200 I must admit that I could not get the Samsung HD935 on either 720p or 1080i to look as good / natural and have as vibrant colours as the 2200.

I also saw very slight juddering on the 935 in Monsters Inc when Sully is in bed and the scene pans round to mike standing next to the alarm clock, I did not get this on the 2200. To do with PAL disc and signal being shifted to 720p /1080i via NTSC for DVI out.

I also wanted the Denon for its audio disk play as well and so the 935 is surplus if "in my eyes" it is not a significant improvement over the DVD2200.

If I just wanted a DVD player then the 935 is just the job and a cracking player over DVI for the price, now at £146.00 from panther.

720p and 1080i is currently the highest progressive outputs that I know of and the most the Z2 can take.

The pic from the HD935 via DVI for £146 is definitely unbeatable on value for money scales"

Regards,

Chris L.

---

10. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris.L, the Denon is a tad over my budget really, my tv doesnt have dvi inputs, so would be a bit of a waste.

I'm really tempted by the new Harman Kardon to be honest, seems really good for the money.

Just need to to find a multiregion one !

Cheers

Toadie

11. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris L. - I've just taken the plunge in ordering a Samsung HD 935 player from pantheronline for use with my Z2 after all the favourable comments from yourself and others, but can you comment on the possibility of lip-synch problems when in progressive mode through DVI - my Cyrus AV8 has no audio delay so I'll be stuffed if there's a noticeable PS lag...... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Will.

12. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Grannysmith,

I had no problems with either PAL / NTSC disks in any of the modes (p / i) , when runing the audio via a Denon 3802 and video via DVI / Sanyo Z2.

I had lined up my father to buy my 3802 and get a 3803 just in case, having read of lip sync probls with the 931 in the USA. But never saw/hear any problems myself.

Regards,

Chris

13. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Chris, very reassuring to hear..... I really hate the gamble of buying blind! You've kept your Denon 2200 player over the Samsung - is it's progressive output through component a good deal better than the Samsung through DVI? I have the opportunity to purchase a Denon 2900, a very similar performer to your 2200 apparently, for under £700 - did you find the sound quality of the Denon much more satisfying than the Samsung's or were they close in this regard. Thanks again, your comments are much appreciated!

Will.

14. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I am also in the same boat.

Need to buy a machine which will work well in in the meantime until my 868 arrives.

Have HDMI but am not about to order a dvi to hdmi cable just to use with a temporary connector.

My only concern which doesnt seem to be addressed here is, is the samsung multiregional?

15. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Adam,

This is from another thread (it's the MR hack):

Samsung 935 MR hack:

1. Turn on the player.
    2. Press PLAY and STOP on the player. Keep the two buttons pressed until the language selection is displayed, then release them.
    3. Select language.
    4. Press REPEAT.
    5. Enter 57538. The region code will be displayed.
    6. Press 9.
    7. Press OPEN.
    8. Press STANDBY.

If that doesn't work, repeat the process but in step 5 press 38767

Cheers,
    Rich.

16. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, think im defo gonna go for the Harman Kardon DVD506LE player, just trying to find out if its multiregion 1st though.

Would you assume that if it does NTSC/PAL prog scan that it would do multiregion ?

Have contacted av-sales ( only place I can find at the mo with it ) and they cannot confirm that its multiregion outta the factory nor can they confirm that it will play RCE disks !

anyone got any ideas please, much appreciated.

Cheers

Toadie

17. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Rad, that's great.

It is this a permanent change that is auto switching, plus can we confirm it plays rce?

18. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Adam,

I'm not sure mate.
    There are a few posts on here regarding the Samsung though.
    Do a search on 'Samsung 935 code' you should find someone with one then just PM them.

One thing I noticed about the Samsung is that it says this :

DCDi und Scale up Technologie von Faroudja
    DVI (Digital Visual Interface)
    10 bit Video D BY A Wandler
    24 bit BY 192 KHz Audio D BY A Wandler

Surely that means it's 10bit video (Cool)
    and 24bit/192Khz audio (cool as well)

With a 24bit audio DAC how can the sound be rubbish?, or am I being dum.

I did a search on '24 bit BY 192 KHz Audio D BY A Wandler ' and found a couple of dedicated DACs that were not cheap so I was assuming they were fairly resonable DACs
    Oh yeah and a DCDi Faroundja scaler which I also thought was good.

Did I miss anything ??

Rich.

19. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    grannysmith,

On pic quality the HD935 via DVI was on a par with the Denon DVD2200 in PAL / NTSC prog via component, but I found the HD935 was a bit "computerish / artificial when compared to the Denon. Whether I would have noticed this if I only had the HD935, I doubt. I could also get the colours to be more alive / to my liking with the Denon

Had both running Mosters Inc and T3 disk at the same time (10 seconds apart) and so I could flick between the Z2's input 1 and input 2 and get a direct comparison between both players.

As for audio the Denon was significantly better than the HD935 and this is where the price difference really showed itself. Likewise the 2200 has a cheaper transport and dac's when compared to the 2900, so the 2900 will be better still.

Though I must admit I still favour my old Marantz 6000 K1 Sig for straightforward CD play.

I also have to be honest in that I'm also trying to fit a Mission M78c, Tivo, Denon 3802, Marantz 6000 K1 Sig and a NTL Digi box in a 4 shelf AV under my TV and not having the HD935 allows this. Though this is a benefit and not a reason in me getting rid of the HD935

I must also point out that the best pic I got out of the HD935 was in 1080i mode, which resulted in the Z2 downscaling the signal for projection but it seemed to add a more cinematic edge to the 720p computerish signal.

You will not be disappointed with the HD935, but if money is no option (lucky you) then go for the DVD2900, but then you could also go for a Teac DV-50 at circa £4000.

Regards,

Chris

20. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris - your opinion on these players is greatly appreciated, as I am currently unable to demo either prior to purchase. Something tells me I should make do with the Samsung for now, as Denon's next replacement for the 2900 will almost certainly have a DVI or HDMI interface, and this will the best possible PQ, as well as top sound..... always something better just around the corner in this game..... :suicide:

Will.

21. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been going through the same process looking for a prog scan player.

On friday I had a Yamaha SD530 delivered, installed it and was not impressed, ghosting being a particular problem on my plasma.

On Saturday morning I phoned the dealer I bought it from (Peter Tyson), they said no problem, what would you like to do...

Thought, for a while about it then decided to bite the bullet and move away from budget players.....and went for the Denon DVD2200, just got to wait for the stock to come in this week....

I'm very pleased with everything I've read so far about the Denon, and feel happy about spending so much more than previously on a player, only problem I see now is I'll be looking for SACD & DVD-A software now too.......

Oh, and the next Denon's will have HDMI, announced earlier this month, and I'll be waiting for a couple of years to upgrade everything to HDMI interface (less cables :clap: ).

22. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    toadie

Did you go for it yet? I just noticed that it has the Burr Brown 24 bit/192 kHz Audio DACs as opposed the Wolfson XWM8740 Delta Sigma 24-bit/192kHz DACs as in to the DV25. Wonder why they changed? It is the reverse of the switch Arcam made in recent times I think.

Anyway I'd love to here some feed back on this player before I go for the DV25 as I'm thinking of doing

Cheers

Croc

23. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, no have decided agaisnt the HK 506LE, I cant find enough info on it or any reviews yet. Have decided to go for the Toshiba SD900e instead now.

I will just have to lose out on the PAL progressive, but since I mainly buy NTSC material now it's not much of the a problem.

Cheers

Mart...

24. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hi

I've just got a Denon 2200 and it's very nice indeed. Superb picture quality - maybe not as instantly sharp as progressive from my previous Panasonic S75, but that just makes the picture seem richer & more realistic, like film in fact. There's certainly an incredible amount of detail on screen - textures look almost real. The colours are another strong point - no bleed at all, just rich and well-defined. But the two biggests improvements for me were the sound, which instantly seems a world away from my previous budget players, and the layer change / menu navigation, which is incredibly quick.

Would definitely recommend the 2200 for the sort of money you are thinking of spending, if it helps

Cheers