1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD Player: Panasonic S97 or Philips DVP9000S?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by astensland, Aug 29, 2005.

1. astensland

astensland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am want to buy a new dvd player, and after some internet surfing I have ended up with 2 alternatives. The Panasonic S97 and the new Philips DVP 9000S. In Norway they cost about the same, so that is not an issue.
    Does anyone have any experiences with these two?? Pros, cons etc. Any recommendations?
    The player will be used both for movies and for music. I have a panasonic th42pa50 plasma tv, and want to use component/progressive scan.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Panny 97

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    i have the panasonic,no probs what so ever the picture looks fantastic through hdmi :thumbsup:

4. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the 9000S and am very happy with it. I saw a Pany S97 in a shop, connected to an AE700 projector via HDMI, and to be honest, I was not overly impressed - it looked very grainy to me. However, and this is a big However, you are never certain whether the shop had set the player and projector up well enough. It certainly did not do enough to persuade me to buy either products.

I also like the look of the Philips over the Pany - personal taste but another consideration.

The audio side is very good with the Philips, and the video is on a par at least with my old Arcam DV27 through component: £240 machine vs £1500 machine - can't be bad! Oh, and I am using the Philips with the QED HDMI 7m cable.

5. astensland

astensland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx guys! I just ordered the Philips :)
    Will pick it up today!