New DVD Player or VP/Scaler

sapper

Hi all,

If i were to buy an HDMI compatable plasma *eg Panny PHD9 or a fuji 58 series, Iwas intending to buy soon afterwards a more modern DVd player with HDMI.

Would I be better off buying a lumagen VP instead?

After althe PQ of my Denon 2900 is very good as is the sound

Adrian

philipb

I had the 2900 - one of the best machines ever made. Now have Arcam DV79 into Lumagen HDQ then into Fuji 58 and the picture is in a different class.

If you cannot do all three, get the Fuji and the Lumagen. The 2900 will be reborn.

BTW - the step up from 433 MXE to the Fuji will be night versus day. They really are that good.

sapper

philipb said:
I had the 2900 - one of the best machines ever made. Now have Arcam DV79 into Lumagen HDQ then into Fuji 58 and the picture is in a different class.

If you cannot do all three, get the Fuji and the Lumagen. The 2900 will be reborn.

BTW - the step up from 433 MXE to the Fuji will be night versus day. They really are that good.

Hi Philip,

I remember us almost 4 years ago swapping settings for the 433, a good relaible machine.

I do still like it, and to be honest happy with the picture, but we are having the living room redesigned, with bespoke furniture.

i think this is a good time to upgrade to a 50 inch, but for several (sensible) reasons, Mrs Sapper is not so keen.

I have not seen the fuji in the flesh, as yet, but I would like to, together with the Pio5000EX

I shall wait for the living room to be finished before i make a final decision.

any dislikes about the fuji???

adrian

Barcoing Mad

Decent VP is a must (with HD i/p abilities for future proofing). HDMI for DVD players is a nice bit of hype to keep sales up. If you want the max out of a DVD player, go for one with an SDI mod into a SDI capable scaler, otherwise stick to component and enjoy your existing machine.

philipb

Hi adrian - sorry the inbox was full, I've cleared it out now.

I had the 2900 - SDI modded - through the lumagen into first the 43 MXE1 and then the Fuji 42". I then went for the DV79 which outputs 576i over HDMI into the Lumagen HDQ, which in turn is set to output at 720p into the Fuji. So I think I am in a position to make a comparison and whilst the 2900 over SDI was great, the DV79 is even better. Sorry, but for me its clearly better.

Why did I ditch a good player? - to get a better one.

binbag

With a new DVD player you'll improve one source, with a scaler you'll improve all of your sources.

Top Bottom