Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

new dvd player or screen?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Taq, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Taq

Taq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I currently project my ae300 image on to a lightish green wall with a Pioneer dv444 player through svideo.
    I am happy with the picture quality and the green wall doesn't seem to make much of a difference to what I think the colour should be (the room is in complete darkness when viewing films). There's always room for improvement though so I was thinking of improving my system a bit.

Which do you think would be the best way to upgrade my system - a new prog scan dvd player (I was thinking of the Sony 730) or a proper screen (or at least a DIY one)? Simply painting a square on the wall icestorm 6 with a black border would be the easiest solution, but the missus is dead against that idea (typical!).

I recently tried the projector through vga from a laptop and was blown away by the difference so at the moment I am leaning towards a new DVD player (even though that will only do component there should be a marked improvement).

Thanks,
    Taq

2. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why don't you do both.
    A new progressive dvd (130) for a 730 would be a big improvement, probably on par with a HTPC (please lets not get pedantic about this boys) and build a screen from 4 pieces of wood and a black out blind from JL (about 30quid in total)
    The screen will make a big difference, as although the green looks like it doesn't make a difference, if you compared with a neutral screen it does.
    Azzo.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    to agree with azzo, a proper screen makes alot of differnce to pic quality. a high quality 7ft screen ca be had for £250.

(try grandview screens fo good quality and price)