1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD player or scaler ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lukassk, Aug 7, 2005.

1. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any one on this forum had the same problem ?? Can someone give me some advice on this ? What will give me better picture quality: standalone dvd player like Denon 3910 (or similar quality player) or cheaper player( 100-200 pounds price) with connection with scaler. I know that scaler going to give me better flexibility to connect other devices like freeview or sky , but I am after better picture quality.
    :lease:

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Best is likely to be an expensive player hooked up to an expensive scaler/deinterlacer. Next best would probably be a cheaper player connected to an expensive scaler/deinterlacer, and so on down the line till you reach just a cheap DVD player on its own. Bear in mind the DVD player has to be of sufficient quality for the scaler to be able to do something with it. Even an expensive scaler/deinterlacer can't make something out of nothing.

Your best bet is to try and get a demo and see which one you think is the better picture. I was lucky in that the chap who sold me my Lumagen gave me a seven day grace period to return it for a full refund if it didn't do what I wanted it to do. Luckily it did, so I kept it.

Regards

Mark

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'd take the scaler route

4. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Another vote for the scaler

I was faced with this very question, but the cost of the DVD players which gave a noticeably better pq was way too close to the cost of the scaler- plus, there are SDI upgrades for players like the Denon 1910 which, with a scaler, were better to my eyes. there are also some 2nd hand bargains about.

Given the new formats, my decision was just what I needed, and I've stopped looking at the latest greatest DVD players, which will anyway within a year or so, be usurped by HD-DVD or Blueray in the ultimate picture quality stakes.

Then there's HTPC...

5. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well my experience woth HTPC is mixed, from one point it can give really good PQ, but the real pain in the a..ss is to set that whole thing up, there is always problem with software, versions, compability between them. I was trying many times to play with Zoom palyer, TheatreTek, FDDShow, Dscaler, and there was always a problem, if not wrong decoder, then filters conflicts. Lets be honest HTPc is noty plug and play solution. So anyone can recommend any scaler plus dvd solution. Currently I have Denon 1910 and everything is fine with this machine apart that sometimes it produce somekind of noise that drives me nuts (specialy in the backgrounds) .I was thinking about SDI modification of this player then pluging it into scaler, but this cost around 300 pounds plus 700+ on scaler. I was just wondering if DVD player like Denon 3910 or Pioneer DV-868AVi-S or Maranz 7600 will get rid of that problem.

6. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone knows place in London (Ealing) or person where I could demo scaler ?? :lease:

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    lukassk

Keep in mind the retail price of any unit is NOT a guide to how well it performs.

DVD Players - very few if any DVD player have the processing power and flexibility to match what you find within a well engineer external Video Processor.

DVD Player with up-scaling - a sort of half way house; though not very flexible in terms of output resolution matching with your Display device and usually no provision for using the extra on-board Video Processing with other sources.

DVD Player as a Transport - you don't have to spend big to get a reasonable Analogue (or Digital) Video stream out of a player and into an external Video Processor; keep in mind though the player has to deliver the goods as an Audio transport too.

Video Processor - way ahead of anything on offer within a DVD player in terms of processing, flexibility and adjustment.

Installation, Configuration and Calibration - unless you have lots of experience with this type of kit your never going to get the best out of it on day one. If your keen and willing to invest in some basic set up aids then DIY is perfectly feasible if you have the inclination. If not then ensure you budget to have the system professionally set up by your dealer.

Best regards

Joe

8. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    just off the high st, theres a road called new bond street,on the corner theres a 7-11.
    theres a hifi store there thats just been taken over.
    try in there. clever lot,they should know something.

9. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mo
    Are you talking about this Bang&Olufsen shop on Bond Street in Ealing ?
    Does SevenOaks stock scalers ?

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    PRESTIGE in Rickmansworth, surely only around 20mins drive have a Lumagen HDP Pro oon demo in their reference suite. You would need to call them to arrange appointment before poppng over to look at it. Currently plugged in to a 55" Hitatchi plasma and a Runco/Barco CINE8 hybrid CRT projector I think.

Gordon

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Definitely scaler.

Go and have a look and take your chequebook! :)

12. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have visited that store in Ealing but they currently dont sell scalers (guy was telling me something about some new Faroudja scaler comming out but this one will be around 2000+) I will give a try to that store in Rickmansworth (Thanks Gordon)
    Does any one have any pics to compare dvd to dvd+scaler ?
    Lucas

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Lucas: Static pics probably wont show you the difference. It's the ability to deal with moving images that's the trick.

Gordon

14. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does Iscan HD/HD+ offer any noise reduction ??
    I could not find any thing about on DVDO web site.

Thanks