1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD Player and Processor

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Francois72, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Francois72

Francois72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings from a new member!

I am considering buying a new DVD player so that I can use my existing Sony unit in my bedroom. However, I bought the Sony because it has a built in DD/DTS decoder, whereas the Yamaha 492 only handles Dolby Pro Logic. Replacing the Sony therefore means either buying a new DVD player with an on-board processor or buying a separate processor. I am reluctant to buy a combined multi-channel amp & processor as I currently use 4 Linn power amps (the Yamaha has powered centre and rear channels, these are bypassed in my set up).

So the question is, can anyone recommend a DVD player and processor for around £700 together?

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Francois,
    Welcome to the forum

I think you will struggle to buy a seperate DVD player & processor for that budget. The problem will be the processor, the cheapest one I can think of is the Yamaha DSP800 which IIRC is discontinued. You'll probably be able to pick on of these up for around £200 s/h but it certainly isn;t leading edge. I'm also not 100% certain that you can disable the internal amplification.

You may be able to get hold of an old Lexicon, which are very good but agin they miss out on newer features. Perhaps a reciever with pre-outs might be an option allowing you to use your current amps on say the front channels and use the recievers amps on the surrounds.

HTH
    John

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I would get something like the Denon DVD-2900 which has 6ch output of DD, DTS, DVD-A and SACD to feed your existing Yamaha (I would go for the Denon even you didn't need 6ch out!). Then save up another whole pile of money and buy a decent processor as your next upgrade...

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You might find a Rotel 1066 for around £600 but that leaves you only £100 for a DVD. Possible but difficult.

5. ridd

ridd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a rotel rsp976 (preceeds 1066) on ebay currently at £295.

6. Francois72

Francois72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: Well i guess I blew my budget then!! I saw a Linn 5103 processor on eBay and bought it :thumbsup: it might not be the the most modern design or have all the latest multichannel processing but it fits my needs and is an excellent analogue pre-amp :D

So now all I have to do is choose a new DVD player - the Denon seems to be everybody's favourite for under a grand

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    If your intrested i have a 3 month old denon 2200 in the classifieds and you live in notts so would be able to demo it.
    Cheers Gonzo.

8. Francois72

Francois72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer, but I was considering the model above yours, the Denon DVD 2900. I'm only down the road in Nuthall as well!

Cheers

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    There isnt alot in it between the 2200 and 2900 so if you change your mind and want an as new 2200 let me know.
    PS i will be away on holiday for 2 weeks from this friday.
    Cheers Gonzo.