1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD or CD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by t-force, Dec 16, 2002.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I've currently got a Marantz DV4100 (not OSE), hooked up to a TAG McLaren AV32R and 100x5R, with M+K speakers (as well as a TAG T32R). It's now clearly the weak link in my setup, especially with regard to CD playback. What I'm currently trying to work out is whether I should go for a new DVD player - possibly the Arcam DV88+ - , or get a CD player to sit along side. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I'd be looking at the sub-£1000 mark.

Thanks in advance,

T

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Anyone got any ideas? Please?

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The general rule is almost always that a separate (dedicated) CD player will yield better quality sound than using a DVD player as a CD player.

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    buy neither. get a killer dac and hook up to your existing dvd player. search these forums, it's been topical.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Could not agree more Dood Dude :) !!

Check out the hifi forums DAC FAQ Below :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41923

Get back with any questions if your interested, you are better off posting on the hifi section for CD related queries IMHO.

6. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does it really excite you to have to go to your CD player every 40mins and change the CD, put the next one and then listen for another 40mins or even less.

Why not save some money and gain in sound quality by investing in HTPC with high-quality sound card.

Just imagine sitting in your sofa/armchair with your entire CD collection and custom-made play lists just a mouse click away. All of that without having to compromise sound quality.

I done it and I know it is possible.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Branxx

Speaking for myself, a HTPC PC in my listening room is a non starter for the following personal reasons :

A Fan whirring away in my listening room.
    A White/Black PC set up in my lounge would not be tolerated by she of the fashion police of the household.
    1 VDU + TV seem like visual overkill in the one room.
    A HTPC setup beside a normal hifi rack of amplification & speakers again seems like a space constraint.
    Can a HTPC be regualted with individual power supplies ?
    Can it be isolated in its individual components by support means to stop vibrational effects impairng sound quality.

These are only my personal reasons why I would prefer a DVD or CD instead of a PC in my listening room, but I do not doubt that good sound can be had from a setup like yours bro !! (I have a PC with DVD Rom & Sub Sat system in my study and very good it is too off a crappy soundblaster live card).

BTW CDs are 74 minutes long where I come from :D

ATB duder

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CJROSS
    many of the points you make don't really apply to a well designed, well built HTPC with excellent components.

HTPC's can run virtually silent if the right methods are applied

PC cases are no longer beige/black/white only nor do they have to be large

as for the display if it's only to be used as a source for playing music and DVDs then a tiny LCD screen would do and would hardly be noticed

as for individual component isolation, i don't see why not but I don't know how practical it would be.

9. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    CJROSS,

Many of the problems you mentioned re HTPC are real but surmountable with reasonable ease.

Look for example at this particular site. It has a sub-forum dedicated to Home Cinema style PC Case. Check LMP PC. There a several other manufacturers that are responding to the need for stylish PC cases.

Noise would certainly be a problem when using non-customised PC. Small investment into quiet PSU, cooling fans and hard disk sound enclosures would reduce the noise to very reasonable sub 26dB. See for example audio computers offered by Carillon.

As for individual power supplies and other audiophile bits and pieces that contribute towards the ultimate sound quality, you need to listen for yourself, as I have done, and determine that £6,000 dedicated CD/DVD player does sound better than £1,200 PC.

If the percieved additional quality warrant a visit to a local mortgage provider than the argument is settled. On the other hand saving £4,800 would go long way towards buying those 'support means to stop vibrational effects impairng sound quality'.

Finally, I do agree with you that even on a £6,000 CD player one would need to change the disk at least every 74mins (or more frequently depending on the actual length of performance recorded).

Needles to say I decided to save £4,800, have in excess of 1,000 hours of music available at the click of the mouse, browse the Internet while listening, and invest in some extra speakers (not to mention that DVD video quality is also significantly improved).

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don´t need any "killer" DAC, you already have a pretty good one on the AV32R, I assume you use it for CDs too...

Get a good DVd player, the DV88+, for instance... or the FMJ DV27...

11. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Dudes of the HTPC brigade I salute your valiant efforts & sound reasons for promoting the PC based solutiion but they are not for me to be honest. Im aint saying they sound bad, in fact from what Ive read they are pretty good by all accounts. But it seems to me like a real hassle compared to selecting & matching individual components from a hifi dealers.

Anyway a chocolate watch must go to Lowrider, I never spotted the AV32R lurking up there, the DACs on the AV32R in hifi mode are on a par (or probably exceed) with £1500+ hifi CDPs IMHO, I use the earlier 2 channel TAG DAC and it is superb, again by dudes who have changed up the AV32R DACs are an upgrade on the old DAC 20, so no need for a DAC. I would agree though that you should feed that level of AV processor, with a very nice DVD player in its own right along the lines of Pioneer 757i, Denon 3800, A88, FMJ 27.

12. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    My thoughts on the AV32R's DACs were fairly similar: ie. I'd have to spend a LOT more if I wanted them to improve (like a Chord 64 or something similar). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean that I would have to swap the coax interconnect between stand alone DAC and AV32R each time I changed from CDs to DVDs? I could be completely incorrect though.

I will be upgrading the AV32R's DACs to the 192s sooner or later, but I think that the 88+ seems to be the way for me to go, as my display will be the next-but-one thing (after the sub) to get upgraded after the DVD player, and PAL progressive interests me big time, as I'm planning on a projector.