1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD-A discs from Warner.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by CJROSS, Mar 14, 2001.

1. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Have just read an article in WHF re. new DVD-A releases from Warner & DTS which have different formats on 1 disc so they can play on existing DVD-V players as well as the new DVD-A players emerging. The formats playable on the new DVD-A players are 5.1 surr. @ 24bit/96 and the two formats for existing DVD-V owners (like me - Pioneer 717) are 5.1 surr. @ 24/48 and a 2 channel stereo output @ 24bit/96 resolution (I'd imagine like the old DAD discs by Chesky & Classic sold through Vivante) This if true is excellent news for existing DVD-V giving access to higher resolution recordings which are playable on their exsiting machines. I reckon this is a clever move by the DVD-A camp to entice existing DVD-V folk into buying their DVD-A discs and one to give the SACD camp a real hurdle to overcome. I've looked at the discs available on SACD and it is lamentable. The discs on offer with DVD-A are of much more interest (to the general public i'd say more mainstream), I dont think I'd ever be interested in 5.1 surround sound due to space considerations, so the stereo mode sounds like the business to me. No doubt the disc costs will be extortionate. I'm off to check out the Warner website for stockists.
    What do you think of all this skullduggery is it just an attempt to put the boot into SACD or will it be a viable long term proposition.

I've posted this on the Hifi-Choice forum but I'm also interested what the HC forum reckons to all this. comments appreciated.

CJ

2. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "...I dont think I'd ever be interested in 5.1 surround sound due to space considerations, so the stereo mode sounds like the business to me..."

...but... but... but... the plain vanilla stereo-only mode obviates the need for DVD-A... The only reason they put it on there is so that people who can not (yet) take advantage of all the supposed specific advantages that DVD-A offers can already buy the discs - and then, when they update their playback equipment at some later date, they can marvel at what they've been missing all this time...

It's exactly the same with DVDs: not everybody has a 5.1 (let alone 6.1!) surround setup in their home, so every DVD offers either a 2.0 track in addition to the 5.1 (or 6.1) tracks, or the DVD player will mix down that soundtrack to 2-channel, which -depending on a person's equipment- can be listened to in stereo or DPL... and then, when they update their playback equipment at some later date, they can marvel at what they've been missing all this time...

Don't you see?

! [​IMG] !

[This message has been edited by Hendrik (edited 14-03-2001).]

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hendrik - thanks for your reply, I knew i'd irk the HC fraternity by saying 5.1 didn't matter to me (its only a personal preference - the good ladies) I'm more interested in the higher resolution these discs can output in stereo mode @ 24bit/96Khz from my 717, I appreciate that some people will down the line upgrade their system to 5 speakers and a sub and have no problem with that, I'm more interested in 2 Channel Hifi, but I have a Widescreen TV because I appreciate the HC quality of DVD-V, the sound that comes out of 2 speakers (5.1 down mixed) is sufficient for me. Again only a personal preference but not everyone is the same.

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Nice to see DVD-A debated again ...
    I have one DVD-A disc ELP's BSS and it was made for multi-channel listening !! ...
    I cant wait to get some more and have ordered some Classical (Greig) and Rock (Metallica) to do a bit of comparison ...
    The scary thing is that I am only listening in DD mode (as I dont have a DVD-A player - YET!) I am looking at the Tosh 500E for an upgrade in the next few months ...
    I agree that the DVD-A camp have made a really shrewd choice of making the discs work on any DVD-V player (this is where DTS Audio discs crapped out IMO)
    Lets see some more DVD-A stuff NOW!
    BTW www.dvdaudiopreview.com is quite good ..

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Paul - Full article below from WHF - thanks for the link to the website - does'nt seem to mention any details of the resolution of the DVD-V stereo mixes, i'll keep an eye on the site. I'd be interested to hear a DVD-V 24/96 mix mixed into 2 ch. stereo to hear any difference, KD Langs - Invincible Summer would be good test as I have the normal 16bit/44Khz CD. I'm currently waiting on a Chesky DAD (DVD-V 2 channel stereo) disc 24/96 from Vivante, these are oddities but this is why I'm so keen on this latest news if the higher resolution discs are becoming available. One thing to remember is that a future DVD-A may possibly go up to 24bit/192Khz sampling rate but how many DACs can cope with that? The other discs that Vivante have are Extended Resolution CDs with 24bit/88Khz resolution I've got one of these on order as well, It seems a waste having a 24/96 capable DAC in my DVD-V and not to be using it.

CJ

The news that many DVD-Audio discs will soon be playable on DVD-Video hardware can be taken two ways. In one interpretation the move by some large software manufacturers, notably Warner and DTS, is a boost for the format, meaning that consumers can build a software collection up, listening to the discs as normal on a conventional DVD player (although not to DVD-A standards), and then upgrade to a DVD-A player as and when they wish.

The other way of looking at it, of course, is that the companies are worried about alienating potential buyers, who would be nonplussed if they bought discs they couldn’t play on their existing hardware. And when estimates suggest some 30 million DVD players have already been sold worldwide, that’s quite a consideration.

Warner discs offer a multichannel Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack (to give DVD-V compatibility), coupled to a multichannel DVD-A (offering, in most cases, 24bit/96kHz surround audio to as many as 5.1 channels of sound). If you don’t own a surround system, or prefer to listen to music in stereo, this is complemented by a stereo-only 24bit/96kHz DVD-Video version. 24bit/192kHz performance is possible from stereo DVD-A, but the discs to date offer only 24bit/96kHz.

DTS, meanwhile, has released four discs, all with DTS multichannel, DVD-Audio, and Dolby Digital 2.0 – giving full compatibility with all existing players. However, the DVD-Audio stream is only 24bit/48kHz.

And just what kind of music can you play? Audiophile stuff? Actually, no – the variety of titles on offer is surprising. While it is true that little of the Top 40 is included in the initial releases, there are discs from the likes of The Corrs, Stone Temple Pilots, The Doors, Neil Young, Deep Purple and kd lang.

Just as with DVD-Video, it seems it’s going to take some time for the disc inventory to build up, but at least now there’s the reassurance that discs made for the new format will also play on standard DVD hardware.