1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new DVD-A/CD hybrid disc

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MikeK, Apr 13, 2003.

1. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been reading an article

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/enterta...0,7492200.story?coll=sfla-entertainment-music

which suggests that a new DVD-A/CD hybrid disc is about be launched (ie DVD-A on one side, and standard CD on the other), which will be priced "similarly" (I read into that just a few dollars more :) ) to current CDs.

Anyone know anything more about this?

If true, could this be the "smoking gun" which will see DVD win the format war with SACD?

Seems to me that if these new discs are truely backwards compatible with standard CD players, then SACD has just lost it's only real advantage over DVD-A (not that they always used it anyway).

Perhaps we'll see DVD-A/SACD hybrids too!!!

2. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have also seen that rumour in a few places. I'm sure there's no tecko barrier to it as I already have some double-sided DVD-A's.
    I think it would be a killer blow in the format war.

Have a look at the collective responses to Guthrie's anti-DVD-A comments at the DSOTM launch.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/features/mlp_encode.asp

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hasn't the DVD-Forum just voted not to approve DVD-A / CD hybrids and also rejected double-sided discs as being too thick ?

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Not sure about the DVD-A / CD hybrid ... but I do remember once seeing a DVD-V / CD hybrid music disc in HMV once so obviously it's doable ... sorry can't remember any more details.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD-A needs to get it's house in order. I have both formats and the worst thing about DVD-A is the lack of convenience. For a start the cases are odd sizes, which I assume is a temporary measure, but annoying. Also, I have to turn the TV on the play some disks. Some play automatically and some don't so they need to organise something there. With a SACD you put it in and press play and thats it, unless you want the 2 channel and you player is defaulting to the 5.1 etc.

I'm not biased in any way and hope they both survive. Of all my recordings, some SACDs are dissapointing, whereas all my DVD-A's are very impressive. They best that I have encountered though is DSOTM on SACD. It's CD sized, it looks like a CD, I can play it in my car or another room. Most of all, it sounds completely awesome. It cost me £8.99 delivered from Play.

This is the way forward and DVD-A better realise it, and quick.