• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Dune - looking for help with Jukebox

gazingsouth

Standard Member
Hi all,
I have just received my new Dune D1 and am partway through ripping my DVD/BR collection.
Now it's time to decide on the dukebox (is that the right word) software for it.
I'm looking at Zappiti, Yadis, MyMoviews, Movienizer and DuneX (haver a mac but don't care if it's windows sw as I have VMWare images running)

My current file structure is as follows

Nas/movies/movie title (year)/video_ts/*.* (or the equiv for BR)
Nas/tv/series/season/video_ts/*.* (eg. nas/tv/frasier/frasier s01 e01 e05/video_ts/*.*

I have found every one of the programs mentioned above scraped the movie files pretty much perfectly. Some like MyMovies were better at overlooking typos and spelling mistakes in the title as well as mismatched year

However I am yet to find one, or work out HOW to get one to handle the TV Series.
These aren't a 1 episode 1 file rip - often the discs contain multiple episode per disc.

If none of them can handle multiple episodes in 1 video_ts folder can you recommend the best file format and naming convention for the file/folder structure, as well as the best program at handling TV series?

Cheers
GS

Mr Eric

the only turnaround I know with yadis is to use ISO instead of video-ts. Naming for the file should be SxxExx-xx. ex : S01E01-05 yadis will scrap all episodes from 01 to 05. BUT : this is only a "fake" scrap, as it will only launch your iso each time you will start the playback for episode 01 or 02, 03...So you will always start to the first episode (or DVD menu) of your ISO.

I'm not sure about MyMovies but it should be able to launch the correct episode, but ONLY if you add your TV series as discs, not files (so you will need to search for the released dvd and map your disc chapters, if it's not already done in their database).

Don't know for zapp...

gazingsouth

Standard Member
the only turnaround I know with yadis is to use ISO instead of video-ts. Naming for the file should be SxxExx-xx. ex : S01E01-05 yadis will scrap all episodes from 01 to 05. BUT : this is only a "fake" scrap, as it will only launch your iso each time you will start the playback for episode 01 or 02, 03...So you will always start to the first episode (or DVD menu) of your ISO.

I'm not sure about MyMovies but it should be able to launch the correct episode, but ONLY if you add your TV series as discs, not files (so you will need to search for the released dvd and map your disc chapters, if it's not already done in their database).

Don't know for zapp...

Thanks Mr Eric.
If it Yadis plays the DVD menu then this isn't too bad (as they are full rips with menus) and I can then start the episode I want. I don't want to have it start the first episode and then have to FF through to the one I want.

I was reading up tonight about MM and mapping the disc chapters to episodes, however there appears to be some issues with exporting these to the dune and not having them work.

Looks like I'm in for some trial and error.... don't' have any heartburn with converting to ISO or MKV - would rather keep in VOB if I can though.

Mr Eric

unfortunately I'm sure that yadis can't start video-ts for series, I'm not really sure for MM (but as you said TV series on dune with MM is not very stable it seems) and I don't know anything about zappiti.

I would say the the best you could try is with yadis. Changing video_ts into ISO with ISO burner should be a piece of cake I believe (you just add your folders to an ISO container, so it should be really fast to do).

anorax25

Morning,

I use DuneX ( don't have a PC ) and it's well worth spending sometime renaming and getting the right folder structure. I didn't do this of course, typically jumping in and scratching my head for days.

I just have a 'Multimedia' folder on the QNAP where I have movies stored by month and year. I also have a folder called 'TV Series' and they are arranged as Mr Eric says.

I've only ripped one as an ISO as I'm not too bothered about menus etc. The one ISO I have done is some 35GB and doesn't play that well across my network but, once copied to the Dune Smart D1 HDD works a treat.

I think there is a setting on the Dune where you can select "play from last viewed position'.

I love the Dune, so much so, I bought my Brother-in-Law one as he's a bit of a luddite. He uses YaDIS and after a few days really got into the swing of it. He loves his too!

MarkE19

IIRC for Zappiti you can name a TV series rips as S01E01.S01E02.ISO (just add as many epsiodes to the name as required) and as long as it is in a folder with the series name it should scrape ok - or name it SeriesName.S01E01.S01E02.ISO
I'm not sure if Zappiti will correctly scrape a Video.TS folder with multiple episodes.

Personally for TV I just rip each episode to an individual MKV which works fine and saves working through the disc menu to get to the episode you want to play. Using the likes of MakeMKV you get exactly the same quality on the rip as no file conversion is done to the .VOB (aka MPEG-2) file, it is just put 'as is' into an MKV container.

Mark.

MadScientist

I'm not sure if Zappiti will correctly scrape a Video.TS folder with multiple episodes.

Mark.

I couldn't get to work and I tried a quite a few naming permutations. ISOs are fine.

The syntax I use for ISOs is: S1E1 S1E2 S1E3.iso

as indicated above: S1E1-E3.iso may also work (I haven't tried that)

Last edited:

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
My Movies doesnt support episode mapping in ISOs, they recommend video_ts structure, and don't support bluray episode mapping unless they're distinct episode files (MKV etc).

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom