New DTTV reciever from Argos ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MonkeyDonkey, Aug 12, 2002.

1. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks suspiciously like an old onDigital/ITVDigital box.... in which case, avoid!

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    External design is Nokia, so as Squirrel God says it's is probably old unsold On/ITV Digital recievers that Argos have picked up dirt cheap.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    There is nothing wrong with ex ITV-D boxes except for the OnDigital branding on the menus. The later Pace 735 and Pioneer boxes were very competent and had the advantage (over the new Pace DTV Adapter at least) of having a programmable timer and 2x SCARTs (one for the TV, on for the VCR).

On Sunday, COMET at Rotherham had a few remaining ex-ITVD boxes on sale at under £50, including a wodge of VHS tapes, free.

I'd describe that as a bargain.

These boxes will quite happily receive all current FTA offerings and there's no reason why they won't pick up the new BBC channels when they start.

I don't know why people keep telling others to avoid them, nor why they'd rather pay at least twice as much for something that is functionally poorer.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as I understood, there are no future software updates on these boxes.

Less than £50 is a good price though for a first box.

6. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I didn't have a pace box then I would buy it. Twin scarts are a plus in my book.
    As long as it's reliable then who cares about software upgrades?

:rolleyes:

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Quite probably. But why does one need software updates, if the thing is working? A software update isn't necessary in order to receive channels. They are only necessary to fix bugs in the firmware. If the bugs either don't exist, or dont have a significant effect, you don't need updates. Even when ITV-D was still trading, I never found any updates for the Pace 735.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    nigel, well said. They are indeed available for £50. Bargain.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what happens when the BBC take over and start using some additional MHEG functionality that requires an OTA update?

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    They are fully backwards compatible. I posted a link to address compatability issues some time ago.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lynx,

You mean any BBC updates will be fully backwardly compatible with these £50 boxes?

12. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    No.The BBC have admited that there will be no support from them towards the old boxes (nothing to do with them,was how they put it). What i meant was that these boxes will continue to function as DTTV recievers.If i can find links to sites i'll post them latter.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clarifying. That's as I suspected. So you can still receive all the channels, but you might miss out on some of the interactivity because of the lack of updates. So £50 is good if you just want to watch the channels, but not good in the long run if you want to futureproof for any additional interactive services in the future (which some people might want to do). Probably better as a second box rather than your main box.

Thanks Lynx - I'd appreciate it. I'd like to read more about this :)

14. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't realy see the big thing about all this interactive stuff anyway . I would be more than happy to give it all up to get rid of those damn red dots on sky :mad:

To me it's just like the extras on dvds , they are ok for a mess when you are board but the interest soon wares off .The real reson for having a set top box is to watch tv .Tht 50 quid is a very good bargain if you ask me . If i still had an arial i would be out there right now with dosh in hand (well maybe not right now as i'm sure they are all shut :D )

15. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Quite. Watching TV is why I have a set top box.

I suspect that much of this (horror - don't touch it - no software updates) comes from people who have a personal need to forever tweak and change stuff - usually so that they can tell their mates in the pub how they now have the latest version of ....whatever.

The same people who post in computer and software forums- I've just updated my XXX software to version 2.000005 and now the YYY function doesn't work. It used to work perfectly in version 2.00000 but.....

To which the response should always be - if it wasn't broke, why did you try and fix it?

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's alright Nigel - I'm not offended.

I actually use the interactive services, and for others that also use them, the point about software updates should be brought to their attention.

After all, the consumer should have as much information to hand before deciding on their purchase.

17. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    After all, the consumer should have as much information to hand before deciding on their purchase.

I don't disagree. What concerns me is the unqualified (horror - don't touch it) style of comment, without any reasoning.

Much better to say, if you buy one of these, be aware that......(whatever). If (whatever) doesn't concern you, go ahead.

In any case, less than £50 isn't much to loose if, indeed, you do find that your box doesn't have all the bells and whistles than the next man's does. It is arguably preferable to spending, say £100, £130, £150 or whatever, on the lastest thing, only to find that it has features you will never use, but is missing important stuff like a recording timer (as is the case with the little Pace and AFAIK the Grundig offerings).

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough :)

£50 to get hold of a box just to see if you can even receive DTTV is handy as well ;)

19. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The BBC bar buggered up quite a few DTTV receivers - including my TV - Sony released an update which fixed it!

20. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Squirrel, i no longer have the links, sorry.I've tried to find the articles, but alas to no avail.If i venture across any relevant info i'll post the link. :)

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries - thanks for looking :)

22. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was just out shopping and popped into Dixons for the usual look around/laugh at prices and noticed a pile of boxes in the corner. So I went to have a look and they were the 4 remaining ITV Digital boxes, the bottom black one caught my eye with a lovely Pioneer logo on it.
    So I got it.
    Its now plugged in, tuned and recieving an amazing picture quality. It's what I expected from Digital TV in the first place, shame NTL couldn't provide us with it on the 3 installations they've done.
    And to top it off I'm using a small indoor aerial.
    No more gosting for me :D
    I was ready to fork out £99 for the Pace DTVA or wait for the Panasonic but at £50 this box is perfect. Its nice and fast too.
    This must be my best bargain purchase ever!

Shame I didn't read the box of the phono lead I got with it tho, I picked up a Phono extension lead and meant to get a Phono-phono, DOH! :rolleyes: