New DSLR Owner

thelegendofyrag

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As a new DSLR owner, i have been trawling the site reading various threads.

I have a Nikon D3000 with 18mm-55mm VR Lens Kit. Very confusing at the moment but im sure i will learn a lot quite quickly!

I would like a bag for it, but don't want to get just any old bag. Is there anything that people would particular recommend?

And also a spare battery, is it wise to get the same official Nikon battery that it currently uses?

Ta

Anything by Thinktank or Lowepro, 3rd party battery.

I got a 3rd party battery off e-bay and it has been just as good as the offical Nikon one. I found the following book to be helpful in understanding my D3000 when I first got it:

Nikon D3000: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Good luck and enjoy your new toy! :smashin:

I can recommend this bag. Not too big but plenty of room for carrying things round. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YIYQ30
Only downside is no strap on side for tri-pod.
I have a D3000 = 2 other lenses.
My experience of batteries is. Nikon lasts for ages and never runs out. 2 OEM batteries from Amazon charge fine but lose power very quickly.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Andy98765 said:
I can recommend this bag. Not too big but plenty of room for carrying things round. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YIYQ30
Only downside is no strap on side for tri-pod.

I use the same bag, very handy for times when I need to take my laptop with me but limited in storage space for my ever increasing collection of camera gear.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Bags for me Think Tank,Kata,or Billingham,batteries i tend to stick to Nikon ones :)

I agree. Though third-party batteries do work fine and many people prefer these due to cheaper price but for some reason I never thought of using 3rd party batteries for a DSLR. Once you have invested good amount on a DSLR and its accessories even if it is an entry level DSLR, I don't think saving on a pair of batteries is a good idea.

Last edited:
I agree. Though third-party batteries do work fine and many people prefer these due to cheaper price but for some reason I never thought of using 3rd party batteries for a DSLR. Once you have invested good amount on a DSLR and its accessories even if it is an entry level DSLR, I don't think saving on a pair of batteries is a good idea.

Yep,once you brought your DSLR,seem to me very little point in then buying,the cheaper price batteries you can find. :)

Yep,once you brought your DSLR,seem to me very little point in then buying,the cheaper price batteries you can find. :)

That's alright if you can afford 10-15% of the camera price for a battery with a particular label on it I suppose :rolleyes:

Jim

I've had no issues with 3rd party batteries in my Sony A55. They perform perfectly and at a fraction of the original battery price.

About as good as £5 for a NEX battery and it lasts as long as genuine?

Better - but you really need a lookout to distract the Security Guard :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom