New DSLR or 4/3. What to get?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Three6ty, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Three6ty

Three6ty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,
    Time for an upgrade to my trusty Panasonic TZ7. I used to have a Canon 350d so have experience of DSLR as well. I sold the 350 as I wasn't using it enough at the time but now being the older man that I am fancy putting some time into photography.
    I am stuck on what to get. I've narrowed it down to a Canon 600d, Nikon 3200, Sony A57 or a Panasonic G3. All get very good reviews so I am stuck.
    For starters will be sticking with the bundled lens but will get a new lens or 2 during the following 2 months. Having said that my local Argos has the G3 in stock and they are doing the 200mm zoom for it for £199 and it has £50 cashback. I have cheekily reserved the last lens in stock this morning.
    Any opinions on the above please? How much of a difference is there between the G3 and the other DSLR's that I have mentioned. I would imagine the PQ between them all would be pretty similar. My only concern with the G3 is that it's a year old now and the G5 is soon to hit the shelves. Does the G3 still hold it's own against the newer models?
    Cheers, Rich

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,063
    For me if i could only have one camera,it would always be an DSLR,i would look at all 3 and see which felt better for me.

Try an G3,in manys a nice camera,just not for me the build qualty to was not that good :)

3. DolbyDan

DolbyDan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    If your spending a large amount of money like you, consider a Nikon D7000, semi-pro body that has/is dropped in price, amazing camera

4. Three6ty

Three6ty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Going to look at the G3 and test the quality later.

Unfortunately the D7000 is out of my current price range by the time I buy a lens to go with it. I want the camera within the next couple of weeks before my holiday.
    Cheers, Rich

5. Gordab

Gordab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The main advantage of m4/3 is size/portability. If that's not an issue for you then buy a DSLR, especially if you want to do low light work without flash or sports/fast moving subjects.

I have the Panasonic G3 and got the 200mm lens this week. Love the camera and don't feel restricted by it at all.

6. Three6ty

Three6ty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,
    Are you saying that the G3 is not good at low light, sports/fast moving stuff.
    Or is it plenty good enough, just not quite as good as a DSLR?
    Cheers, Rich

7. Three6ty

Three6ty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,
    Well I plumped for the Canon 600D. Used to love the 350 so stuck with what I know. And the reviews on the whole seem very good. Now off to have a good old play with the new camera.
    I just got it with the stock 18-55 lens for now. But over the next couple of months I will be getting a couple more lens's for it. I will be getting a zoom in the 250mm sort of range and I am very keen to get a nice macro lens.
    Any chance of a few recommendations please? Not top of the range stuff I'm afraid. Mid range stuff of a reasonable quality please. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Cheers, Rich

8. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Hi,
    may I ask where you purchased this camera and how much it cost?

I'm in the process of researching my first DSLR and have settled on the 600D. It's the right price (which seems to be on the way down since the 650D) and I've read A LOT of owner reviews for a broad spectrum of cameras of this ilk and it seems to be the favourite.
    I'd also be interested to find out how you get on with it.
    Cheers, :thumbsup:

9. Three6ty

Three6ty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,
    It was £550 from Argos. But I had some vouchers to bring the cost down further from that hence going there.
    First impressions of the camera are excellent. Great build quality and the menus are easy to get round. The manual is huge though and is going to take some time to read. Not actually used the camera yet though as I only got it out of the box late tonight as not had time today. Should be going out on a little test shoot tomorrow. I really want the new lens's to, but they will have to wait for now.
    Cheers, Rich

10. Bill Bruner

Bill Bruner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Conratulations on the new camera, Rich.

eob - right now, you can get a 600D for £511 from Amazon.

Cheers,

Bill

11. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
  12. Three6ty

Three6ty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,
    I have decided to go for a lens today. I am so impatient. :)
    I am going for the Canon EF-S 55 - 250mm f/4.0 -5.6 IS Lens. I know it's far from the best lens however it is currently reduced from £249.99 down to £139 at Argos. Also have a £10 voucher from yesterday's purchase so brings it down to £129. Lens here.
    It seems to get pretty decent reviews looking around so it will definitely do for now until I get serious and at that price I feel I can't go wrong. It also has image stabilization.
    My next lens will be a decent macro but will spend a few extra £££'s on that one, but that will be in a couple of months time.
    Cheers, Rich