• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

New DSLR from Olympus

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Olympus have today anounced the E500 DSLR which should be available for less than £600 with kit lens from October.Just been looking at the launch details on dpreview details below.

Looks like dslr prices are continuing to come down.I have just got a panny Z5 which i am really pleased with but I have a few days to take it back under the 30 day money back offer with jessops.Wondering whether this would be a good move or not?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05092604olympuse500.asp

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Looks like a nice camera. If you are looking at going down the DSLR route than things are certainly getting cheaper. Aren't Jessops selling the 350D for about £699 now?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I am not saying I am unhappy with the Z5 quite the contrary.Just wonder whether 8mp camera with high ISO along with relatively light weight for a dslr might be worth considering.

Against:Cost,have to change lenses,small & lightweight for a dslr (maybe too lightweight Z5 feels a little toylike, my only real gripe of the camera)

mjw123

scratchyjase said:
what more can a dslr give you than your new z5 cant?

Better low light images and good results at high ISO's...apart from that though not a massive amount though.

Outdoors in good light you won't see a huge difference between say an Olympus 7070/8080 and an entry level DSLR....que flames.......

mjw123

350D.

Having seen what the 7070/8080 can produce I honestly do think for good light outdoor shots the difference is now minimal. Obviously you can be a lot more creative with a DSLR but you have to pay for all lenses / filters etc...

If this wasn't the case people would never spend £400-500 on these Oly's.

RobertP

Standard Member
I still get messages from a Oly group I joined some time back. Owners of the E300 say its high iso performance is poor and are wondering if that has been improved with this camera as it has the same sensor.

I also remember messages praising the dust removal system - apparently it works ;)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
same sensor but aparently it has a switchable noise filter to improve noise levels at high ISO settings.

Ikki

It looks like a good camera (just from posted info) but I would still go for the KM 5D as it seems to have an advantage with AS and possibly high iso noise.

Just my ten penneth :)

mjw123

For what it's worth I do like the look of this DSLR but will try the 7070 first and then decide whether I need to give this one a go in the future.

Having a young daughter it annoys me having to use flash all the time to get acceptable results indoors from my FZ3.

mjw123

Probably not but then again at about £1K for the body alone it's hardly entry level....

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom