New driveway/drainage question

Munzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After some advice RE a new block paved driveway and drainage.

Our new driveway slopes towards our house, because of this we had a row of aco drainage placed a few feet away from the property along the width of the driveway. At one end it runs into a drain that already existed. At the other end it runs to, well, nowhere.

Amongst the waste that was left was an "end cap" which I put at the "non-drain" end and sealed in place to prevent the water from flowing out and hopefully encouraging it to go out the other end where the drain is. Upon checking the level of the "capped end", the first 3 aco's (out of the 11) encourage the flow to the capped end and now water just sits there.

Am I incorrect in fitting the end cap, should the water flow out both ends?! My understanding is wherever the water goes in, it should exit in the drain and NOT at both ends.

If you have some downhill flow, a soakaway should be fine to cope with this. Essentially it's just a hole filled with gravel, so easy to construct.

The likelihood is that the other end is already connected to a soakaway, as it's unusual for domestic properties to be connected to storm drains - and you would not drain a drive into a sewer.

Did they bed the drainage on a concrete bedding? or is just on some type 1 or similar?

The centre point where the water starts to flow the wrong way, take that section up and remove some aggregate from underneath, then it should return the flow to the correct way, hopefully.

If you have some downhill flow, a soakaway should be fine to cope with this. Essentially it's just a hole filled with gravel, so easy to construct.

The likelihood is that the other end is already connected to a soakaway, as it's unusual for domestic properties to be connected to storm drains - and you would not drain a drive into a sewer.

Thanks - I reckon it does drain into the sewers, the small drain filters into a larger one (the sort with the metal lid). It’s always been in place, even before we had the driveway done.

Did they bed the drainage on a concrete bedding? or is just on some type 1 or similar?

The centre point where the water starts to flow the wrong way, take that section up and remove some aggregate from underneath, then it should return the flow to the correct way, hopefully.

Yes it was layer on a bed of concrete, but the concrete wasn’t laid on type 1, I think that’s the key problem here and I may have suffered a small amount of sinkage!

Either way, we’ve had a ton of rain this afternoon and the water has had no choice but to flow to the drain so fingers crossed no further issues otherwise I’ll have to pull it up and re-lay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom