1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DLP tv's

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sheep, Jul 8, 2005.

1. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all sorry i haven't been posting lately been pretty busy ;-) as you may know i have issues with my samsung 50" , well i now have had confirmation from comet that i can keep the sammy until i find something i like,they will then take the samsung back and also give me £400 off the price of the new tv :)))result me thinks lol,so has anyone got a list of new model DLP's coming out in the next few months,i think samsung are bringing out a next gen model of mine but wondered what else was available..cheers

sheep

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Sheep :hiya:

RD65, RD65 errrr :rolleyes: RD65 :D

3. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    lol Razor if i had the room mate :)) but i dont have an aircraft hanger so any other tasty DLP's on the horizon???

sheep

4. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: Sheep

I was just reading the thread you started about your Samsung & green tinges.....

Did an engineer ever come out to you in the end ???

5. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, me too mate. Tell me, is the RD50 as good?

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Yes it is if you aint got any region 1 dvd's or if you dont mind using a HTPC to view NTSC discs.

Get the RD65 a much more impressive display :D

7. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ha ha, yes Razor, I'm sure. But then I do have to get other furniture in my lounge as well ! Also, I've worked the other half into submission for spending two grand. It'll take me another year to justify four! :eek:

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya: Hartigan

Furniture is now out of fashion go for the contempory look. :smashin:

Don't tell the missus. Say it was £2,000-00 they do the same with shoes. :D

9. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Razor :hiya:

Ah, so that's why the credit card bills never seem to add up! :D

Doubt if I could conceal 2K tho. And doesn't the extra size maximise the 'rainbowing' effects et al? I won't be sitting more that 12 feet from the screen and don't want to ruin the experience. I was thinking 50" was pushing it.

10. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    J80FAB i was eventually told that samsung were having problems getting their sets repaired as the company that was repairing them no longer dealt with the sammy 50" due to transport issues regarding its size,Comet do not repair the sets themselves and only offer an exchange policy and as i said in earlier posts i tried another samsung in curry's(thanks guys)and it showed the same green tinging as mine,yet when i tried my dvd player and cable on the sagem all was fine which shows me that their is a definate issue with samsung tv's and hdmi input,even samsung themselves admitted this,now i know a lot of you have the samsung and suffer none of these problems which leads me to believe it is a batch issue and the more worrying aspect for me is that many people will have bought this model just because it was a big telly and will not have used the hdmi input...should be interesting when hdmi becomes widely available!!, i wonder how many green tinging tellys will rear their ugly heads,anyway so now i am looking for a new baby(not rd65 lol) and thanks to comet i'm not in a rush :) the only down side is i havent watched a dvd for months :-(( ..i dont think i will ever watch The matrix,Hulk,Soylent Green,Green Mile etc again lol

sheep

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:hiya:

No not at all. No rainbows here mate. I too sit about 12 foot from the screen and the missus sits about 9 foot away. Its a totally different experiance to the 50' screen. :devil:

12. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Mmmmm...... too much 'green I suspect ! :rotfl:

I did forget to ask if you bought the SP50 in-store or on-line at Comet. I know that you physically went to a store for assistance. :confused:

13. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, you give your missus the front seat..? And I thought romance was dead! ;)

Seriously, though, no issues with that? Interesting. I might need to re-evaluate my choices. And envy you and your RD65 just that bit more... :)

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Regardless of what others (who are fortunate enough to not be affected at all by rainbows) might say - I'd contend that the larger the perceived screen size (i.e., a combination of actual size and/or viewing distance) the greater the possibility that you will see rainbows - all other things being equal - because larger perceived size means increased need to scan your eyes around the screen.

15. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks LV426 :hiya:

That was my understanding too. But, seeing as you're, admittedly, sensitive, I'm also inclined to go with the guy with the, erm, large piece of kit. :D

Guess I'll just have to try an audition one for myself. Does anyone know where I could find such a beast, or any substantial range on display, in the North East?

16. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    That's exactly what you must do. In conditions as close as they can be, to what you will have at home. It is a combination of

- a given TV
    - a given Person
    - a gven environment
    - one or more given sources

that will reveal what you need to know. The given Person is you (and anyone else who may share your new TV with you).

17. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would love to, I really would. But like I said, it's finding somewhere with enough on display to compare. Currently I'm running between 3 stores just to see 3 different models in action, so they are all in different environs therefore difficult to compare.

So, the $64000 question is, which do you guys consider to have the best 'bang for the buck' so to speak? I really need something of a max 50" that will sit on a cabinet. So therefore I reckon I'm looking somewhere between the Sammy, the Sagem and the Tosh. Possibly with a dash of Optoma, and even Thomson, in for good measure. I'll take any feedback, positive or negative, into consideration. But I have a couple of grand burning a hole in my pocket RIGHT NOW! :)

How's that for a way to start an argument... :D

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Hartigan

On this rainbow issue which is a DLP trate the RD65 screen size sitting from a distance of 9-12 feet is not that large that you end up looking around the screen to cause this effect.

If you are prone to this effect you will see it on any screen of any size. Front pro screens are far larger than the RD65 and seating distance is around the same as I have for my RD65. On this size of screen (8 foot wide) approx 100' your eyes will scan the sceen more at a distance of 12 foot. :rolleyes:

I have spent many hours viewing a screen of 9 foot wide at a distance of 12-15 feet and haven't seen the rainbow effect. The techonolgy in this area has improved so much that it isn't an issue unless your one of the unlucky few. If you are one of the unlucky few you will see the rainbow effect on all but 3 chip DLP projectors.

My recomendation to anyone looking to buy a DLP front or rear pro is demo in all conditions. Even try and bring on the effect if you can, I couldn't. :D

I would also do as others have said and take your whole family or anyone who lives in the house who are going to use the set.

My next recomendation is see the RD65 as once you see it you will want it. :devil: The extra screen size seems to bring out more detail and the picture doesnt suffer with the size increase. Its the first thing I noticed after seeing other 60' displays.

If you want a demo contact Optoma and they will point you in the right direction. I demoed at their HQ in Watford and at the AV show.

:D

19. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, thanks for the advice Razor :hiya:

Like i said before, I was inclined to agree with you as you had the experience. Besides, I don't think I can be too sensitive to rainbows cos I've never really noticed them. Did manage to 'force' them by bouncing around in front of the Sammy SP50 (much to the amusemment of the sales assistant) but, strangely, not with the Toshiba 46.

May well give Optoma a call to see where their kit might be stocked - but you know what it's like when you're ready to buy. Might just go and take the pllunge and hope I don't regret it later.

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya:

I am more than happy with my RD65, go and grab yourself one :clap: :D

21. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    ......provided that you have no wish to watch NTSC material (Region 1 USA, Canada, or Region 2 Japan, for example). This particular TV does not handle NTSC sources well.

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya: LV426

Very true, but a work around with a pc is possible. We all now my fustration with this issue untill I found a cure. :D

23. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Hartigan is a new member, and perhaps does not know of this particular issue or of your frustration etc. Perhaps he also doesn't want his TV room gracing with a PC..........I certainly wouldn't be wishing to go that far. It's only fair to let him (and anyone else) know that there is an issue here with this TV. Hopefully they will be a bit more intelligent with their next model(s).

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Quiet right LV, you know I'm the worlds worst for kicking up a fuss with the the 60Hz issue. After all I discovered the bloody thing much to my dismay :eek: :suicide:

Having a pc in the lounge is no great shakes LV, I have just sorted one out for my father and it is so silent. If you dont want a pc shaped case then there are so many new HTPC case's which look like av equipent this coupled with a silent set up and you have a powerful Home cinema tool. You can store movie, music, games, internet, processors, scallers, multi format play back, divx, hd, WMV, Divx HD.... etc. You can build a HD capable HTPC for around £500 (normal case). Give it a few years and yu will have a HTPC connected up to your home cinema system. I was a serious doubter before I tried for myself and saw the results. When Blue ray and HD-DVD arrive I will be installing a combi drive meaning I have both formats in one system.

http://www.zylux.com.au/UNEED.htm

http://www.silverstonetek.com/2005ces show.htm

But just incase Hartigan doesnt know the RD65 can't do 60Hz without judder. You will need a pc or an external scaller to correct this fault. This means that no NTSC disc's or material can be played on the RD65 or RD50 with out judder. If you have a large region 1 collection and you dont want to connect a pc or scaller to the RD65 I would think very hard. I wasn't happy with the NTSC/60Hz issue untill I found a work around. I loved the size, quality of finish and excellant PAL performance but the 60Hz issue wound me up. On top of that Optoma never came up with a fix for it. Instead they claim it has been tuned especially for PAL performace, this was a lie of course as they didnt know anything about it untill I brought it to their attention. If you want to read more check out two of my old threads.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176400

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171415

As I say to everyone always demo before you buy. No matter what make or model you go for. Look for rainbows if you are not used to DLP. Check the quality of the picture is it better than what you are used too, is there blurring or colour banding? Is the screen very reflective or frosty? etc.

To summarise this all I am very pleased with the RD65, it still never fails to impress me. Why do you think all my posts have the silly gin on at the end. SD is great, HD is amazing, Screen Size is the biggest at the moment for a DLP rear pro in europe. :D

:D :D :D

25. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thnaks to both you guys for all the information and support you have given. Although I'm a noob to this forum I'm not entitrely green. I used to work as a DM for a major electrical chain upto a couple of years ago and am a bit of a techie. I do indeed have a PC in the lounge but, as a compromise to the asthetic desires of the other half, it's a tiny lifestyle unit that I mainly use as music source. 10,000+ tracks at your fingertips beats the hell out of fishing around for CDs! :)

However, DLP was in it's infancy when I quit my post for another career. And lots of things happen in two years, so I am a bit behind the times. I was used to always knowing exctly what kit I would want, now I feel like a fish out of water. This forum has been a major help. However, I am still finding it difficult to audition all the kit on my list. As Razor points out, all the screens in my price bracket seem to have issues. With the Sagem, it's 'frosty', the Tosh blurs on motion, the Optoma can't handle 60hz and the Sammys seem to favour softness over detail. Mind you, I suppose you can't expect perfection for under £2K, huh?

26. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Hartigan :hiya:

Time to get demoing :smashin: Good luck :D

BTW I'm still grining :D

27. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If you've got a PC and are willing to use it, get the ThemeScene!!!!

Razor went through a world of **** with his and he's *still* grinning, only a picture that good would drive a man to go to such lengths to not depart with his telly

28. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Liam :hiya:

LOL..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yep still grining :D :D :D

29. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers again guys. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to demo an Optoma later this afternoon. I'm going to have to be seriously impressed to pay £500 more than I can take away a Tosh for, so I hope you're right.

Either way, hope to post some pics of my new set up by the end of the week! :D

30. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have heard of processing woes with the Toshiba, worse/more noticeable with digital TV than DVD (presumably since most DVDs connect progressively) but the processing in the set seems to "smear" horizontally panning images. A search for Toshiba on this forum should bring up any info. I had a client with said issues so we tried out a Lumagen video processor to see if it could be down to the processing within the screen, and not some other issue. As far as can be seen this has eradicated the smearing - while of course more importantly adding Lumagen powered processing for a more detailed, 3D like image. However at £695 for the processor, the Toshiba stops appearing the bargain it would seem.

Of course now I've said that, if you are going to use the PC for video (including Sky/Freeview processing or what have you) then this would be the same theory as putting in dedicated processing and would likely remove the smearing issue too!! Either way, buyer beware...