1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new DLP rear projector

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by smooth-op, Jul 30, 2005.

1. smooth-op

smooth-op
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hello there

i need some advise

i have £2000 to spend on a new TV

was looking at rear projector

would like a HDTV as i hear good things

would some one please tell me the best one for my money or would it be better off spending a bit more on a plasma

ps i play a lot of xbox and watch movies

best pic and siz please

any links to buy would be great also

2. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    most dlp's will play xbox games, movies wise, from my experience and well razors :D go for a samsung, i am getting 1. basically its just for movies and tv which i will be using it for and soemtimes xbox.
    or if u thinking big then sagem 56" or even the 45"
    if u want more details got the the manufacturers web site they will have all the nitty gritty info.
    both sets are pretty good.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I suggest a good look through this forum. There's a wealth of information regarding all the current models from Samsung, Sagem, Toshiba, Optima etc, most of which in the size range of 46" to 50" are well within you're budget. There's no such thing as the best DLP, all you can get is peoples own personal preferences and opinions. At the end of the day you will need to go out and demo some for yourself and make the decision as to what is best for you. We're are a firendly bunch here and more than willing to help with specific questions. Good luck :)

4. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true
    smooth-op, neilmcl right, u do need to go out and have a look at the set first. the samsung looks furureistic, it depends what taste u have and the size of your room. no point in going to get a 56" and it does not fit, or it takes up half the room.
    as said before read up good luck get back thou would like to knw which set u go for :thumbsup:
    the samsung looks great thou

5. smooth-op

smooth-op
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hello there

i just went out to john lewis as saw 2 models

1 being a sagem 45" dlp HDTV model and runniging a HD image (fantastic quality) £1,799

2 a Toshiba 46WM48P dlp HDTV running a RF tv signal poor quality to demonstrate but i can imagin the quality will be the same as the sagem. £1,999

got all excited about these models so went online to read up on them could not find any cheaper prices for the sagem but found that the toshiba i could get for £1,349from http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php?ID=1732&source=kelkoo with a free dvd player. im thinking Wow, so i orderd it with deliver for 3 days time.

have i done the right thing

im hoping you guys will say the toshiba is better then the sagem anyway

please reply asap

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Smooth :hiya:

The sagem IMO is the better set. :oops:

:lesson: Did you read much of the threads in these forums. :confused:

Or did you base your purchase purely on price. :confused:

To assume that two different makes of displays look the same because they share similar technology is not correct. Why did you not ask for a demostration for both sets with a dvd player. Then you could of compared fairly. Comparing HD on one set and a poor RF on another and then assuming they would both look the same with the same source is not a good call.

Both these sets have different issues, which one will bug you more??? Only you can tell. The sagem suffers with a frosty screen and the tosh has motion blurr/oil painting effect. Did you look for any of these trates?

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but I really believe you should have a proper demo of these sets and look for these faults to see if you can live with them, before you commit. :smashin:

7. Tufan

Tufan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm looking at the bright side and I admire you as you were able to decide very quickly. :thumbsup: There are lot's of people like me :rolleyes: in this forum still trying to make sure which one is better or will there be a new model coming soon while you'll be enjoying your biggy very soon :clap: :clap: :clap:

And don't worry, there are lot's of people who are happy with their Tosh on this forum. ;)

PS: Just in case you won't be happy, there are also some who returned them back and switched to Sammy. :devil: So you still have another option and you can aslo become from one of those rare guys with the intense experience. (Soni, Kableman :hiya: )

8. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: Tufan, Razor, Smooth

Smooth,

I had the Tosh originally and returned it due to the motion fizzing/blurring, however if i was in the market again to buy and it was out of the Sagem or the Tosh, i would choose the Tosh without hesitation. The Tosh had a Razor (sorry for using your name mate :) ) sharp picture, and although it suffered from horizontal fizzing, the Sagem also suffers from this DLP trait as reported in a recent review - take a read of the attached link:-

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5887

If your choice was out of the Tosh and the Sagem, then i personally think you've made the right decision there mate :smashin:

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Soni :hiya:

All is forgiven mate [​IMG]

I still prefer the sagem to the tosh, following this I prefer the samsung to the sagem, following this again I prefer the Optoma RD65 to the samsung. :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: to our 'Prominent Member' :thumbsup:

I wonder how you would feel if they did the Sammy in the 65" :rolleyes:

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Soni :thumbsup:

Thanks for noticing my prominent member [​IMG]

It would be cool [​IMG] to have more large screen displays. I wouldnt swap my RD65 for a similar sized display, it would need to be bigger. At least 70' or preferably 80'+.

The prominent member tag has nothing to do with the sizes I am quoting [​IMG]

12. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    hi razor :hiya:

have a look at this site,its american they have sony's new lcd,also they have a top 10 dlp chart ;) www.dlptvreview.com

13. Tufan

Tufan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kourosh :hiya:

There's no SP50L7HX equivalent review in www.dlpreview.com. As they think Sony LCD rear projection TV is better then all DLPs they've seen, I think they are full of BS. Even the sales person in the Sony official dealer who worked previously at a different store confirmed that Sammy 7HX was much better choice.

Interestingly on the voting part, all who consider a new TV are on the Sammy side but Toshiba is the most popular TV, hmmmm

14. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there all,
    I cant really help on the choice for you to make. All I CAN say is, follow the FORUMS guides, tips, awareness and issues.

You will not go wrong, by reading the info on these forum threads.
    Do as many demo's as you can muster.
    Personal preference is usually a good guide, with the technology and features applied to your needs.

I myself have the TOSHIBA 46WM48P. Terestrial and SKY+ are very good indeed, of course it also depends on the feed from the Sat channels.

DVD with component very good. DVD HDMI , i have personal Issue with.

SONI, thanks very much for yesterday, I was very impressed with your wall mounted Sammy. More importantly, for me, to see the picture difference on your Sammy 50" and Denon HDMI player, against my Tosh and Panasonic S97.

As soon as I have sorted myself out on my TV and done the sittingroom decorating, I will return the favour and invite you over to my place for a play on the TV.
    TOP DOLLAR SONI :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

15. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

hi tufan :hiya:
    dont forget this is an american site,there sets are prob different to the uk dont forget they have had HD and dlp alot longer over there,the sony lcd projection that is mentioned is not available in the uk yet,so i dont know how the ex sony staff would know what the set is like,sony will stop plasma's in a few years time as they have just bought a huge huge huge factory to buid just lcd's,the current range of lcd,and plasma's screens are not sony,but the technology is,oh and i work for sony ;)

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Kourosh :hiya:

Cheers for the link mate. [​IMG]

I notice that the tosh is the cheapest large large screen there, this is probably why it is the most popular. Also large screen displays are not uncommon in the US unlike the UK.

No mention of my favourite the 82' Mitsubishi. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Tufan

Tufan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kourosh, I am in Turkey mate ;)

And the only DLP models available here are Sammy SP50 & 56L7HX as well as L6HX and Toshiba 46WM and 52WMs.

18. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    hi razor :hiya:
    nice smilies, :D that could be the case,was the mitsu dlp?or a different technology i cant remember :confused:
    i would have thought your 65" would have been near the top because of the size cause as you say they do love there big screens,its because the living rooms are so huge,also they have a lot of dens and play rooms :thumbsup:

19. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

pretty the much as uk,even though i am happy with my tosh it will be replaced as soon as the new sony 55" qualia sxrd comes out,i think this is prob the only set that will give DLP a run for its money,its due out end of the year :thumbsup: but if i was thinking about a set i would defin wait for next generation dlp :smashin:

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Kourosh [​IMG]

The Optoma is the most expensive Display there.

21. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it seems the max over here is about 55'' give or take, with Razor's being the exception..

i guess the big guns think that over 55'' in the U.K is a waste of time...most rooms aren't big enough.......the average large screen in currys seems to be the 42'' plasma..but with a few of course; as big as 50''.

nothing truly massive though...i guess whopping great screens are too expensive as well.

i wish i could import, i really do; but import duties bla bla bla; will be very expensive; plus no workable user friendly guarantee.........because i want the 61 '' Sammy.

if you're going to blow loads of dosh, plus waite as long as i am, then 50'' seems too small....it's not crazy enough for such a long wait :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

to me it seems a bit daft not getting these big screens, but 82'' is way too big; thats 6ft 10''...........bloody hell! :rotfl: :rotfl:

22. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No worries mate, anytime :)

I hope you get your problem sorted, or find another set that you will be happy with.

I await your invitation :D

Best of luck :smashin:

23. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Mitsu 82" and the Sony Qualia 006 make use of LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon). Seems that sofar it's only used in rear pro's bigger than 65".
    No color wheel tough, so no rainbows and the 2 set are 1080p.

Aren't cheaps sets though. Makes me wonder if those sets are so expensive because of their size (50"DLP to 65"DLP is also steep price hike) or that LCOS technology is expensive to implement. Or are they just marketed as very high end