1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New discs at weekend to recommend

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by -, Aug 7, 2000.

1. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh heh [​IMG]

Good idea Miles (howza the arm wound?).

Remember to mention those Region thingies.

------------------
    A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

©2000 Carol Vorderman™

My DVDs

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say before I start, I am not one for the Bonus material, at the end of the day I am not buying for the bonus material. I am buying for the movie. Thus no Bonus review, If there are extra`s then great but the movie comes first. Rating out of 5 *`s. Rating info:-

FILM-Overall movie feeling/acting etc
    DISC Qulaity - Sound and Picture
    FIGIT Factor-did anyone get up during the film to do something more interesting or start talking, or just be really annoying etc.

1.Romeo must die-not bad film, a bit slow in places. Takes a bit of time to get going. Good fight scenes and use of new technology.
    FILM ***
    DISC Quality **** Good Presentation
    FIGIT Factor ***

2.Apocalypse Now- Still a great movie, picture is great, sound is full on, acting great...
    FILM ****
    DISC Quality **** great package
    FIGIT Factor *

3.Independence Day - American`s kicking butt movie, but you can`t knock the sound for in your face demo disc quality material. Easy to watch again and again. 2 Disc`s full of material.

FILM ***
    DISC Quality ***** best picture and sound
    FIGIT Factor **
    (after 3/4 viewings)

4.Deep Blue Sea
    Good movie, suprising if you dont expect to see a Jaws like movie.
    FILM ***
    DISC ****
    FIGIT Factor *

5.DVD Platinum Test Disc`s(2 disc set)
    "Excellent" DVD setup disc, improved my picture(DVD adjustment and TV adj) and sound setup.

Gives you a chance to sample DTS against DD on the same sequence of Film. You get full colour sequencies across the full range of colours. You can listen to demo DTS and DD music, DD and DTS logo music etc. In fact I still have not gone through all the options on the disc`s yet. Also it was the only way I could get a SUB test tone as none of my kit is THX certified.
    FILM N/A
    DISC *****
    FIGIT Factor - 0

FIRST INSTALLMENT. If this is ok then tell me if not I won`t bother any further.

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There is a real lack of posts on this part of the forum so I thought I'd add one. Why don't we use the space we have to recommend good discs and slag off the bad ones? That's what it's for isn't it?

If you're interested, I got some new discs at the weekend and would recommend all of them.

1.Predator - Great Picture, suprisingly good given its age and fantastic 5.1 DD sound

2.Romeo Must Die - I know Duncan wasn't too keen on it but it's got a killer soundtrack (hip-hop mostly) and action scenes are pretty good. They're a little to soft though.

3.Commando - yes, I know it's cheesy but comedy value you just can't beat it. Again a decent picture for this period in cinema where movies rotted pretty quickly, and Dolby Surround soundtrack is good enough.

Gareth

------------------
    "Your powers are weak old man"

4. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love the extras and they tend to be one of the main reasons, apart from the film being a good 'un, that I buy a DVD instead of rent it. VFM - value for money. The missus likes them too which means I'm allowed to buy them in the first place [​IMG]

If I see a good film with no extras for some reason I kinda feel like the studio/director couldn't care less. And I'm not into buying several releases of the same film begining with the bare bones and culminating in the extra packed "Ultimate collection" version.

Same with those stupid Warner cardboard cases. God know where Warners found the punters for their survey that said they love them.

My Recommendation for this weekend:
    Ronin.
    Plot/Actors:
    If you can immerse yourself in the film, enjoy the action, and ignore asking yourself one or two questions regarding the plot. It's a good action film. Jean Reno is, well the Jean Reno we all know and enjoy on the screen though this time more measured yet understated. Robert De Niro - no character acting this time round but good "seasoned" wet-ops guy.

Film:
    Good post-production processing to mute colours and add mood. Can't comment on sound as don't have surround sound yet but would imagine car chases sound great

Extras:
    Commentary by Director John Frankenheimer covers his choice of location, filmcraft, actors, and of course the driving. Alternative Ending (no post production so you can see how crappy it looks). A making of featurette (focusing on the driving). And a trailer

raison D'etre:
    The car chases. If you have Big WS/projector and 5.1 DD you should be blown away by their 100mph (actual) car chases though small french towns and the 300-odd stunt car motorway chase sequences.

Cheers

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I saw The Ninth Gate, I think I liked it.
    I gave it a chance, seemed ok, but.......... the ending was a bit ambiguos for me. The story side I thought developed well and seemed to be heading towards an answer to what was going on, however, it ended differently to what I thought.
    I listnened to parts of the director's commentary to have some things explained, (not somethimg I normally do) a bit!
    Seems from what he was saying that I got it wrong. Never mind, I did enjoy it but it's not a film I would say 'go and watch it, it's great', it's more a matter of taste, you either like it or you don't. Odd.
    If you like a bit of an occult mystery/horror then get it. If not, don't.
    Sorry about my film critic abilities, I normally like to say things like..'fantastic explosions, good action scene', anything with a story is more dificult to explain without giving it away.

------------------
    Guy
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vertigo (R2)

Classic film with an amazing anamorphic picture and crystal clear DD 5.1 sound, nice extras too.

------------------
    Richy B

Visit http://www.r2dvduniverse.co.uk to see what's just been released on R2 DVD each week

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Im gonna be a little bit wild here, but I have just watched Wing Commander.

I purchaed it at the time it was released and I know it was slated and described as a poor mans star wars but I think people wre being a bit hard.

All moring it has poured down with rain, Im on my day off and I love films like this that require no thought to watch.

The picture is not that good but the sound quality is great, with lots happening from all the channels. It even has a great DAS BOOT rip-off scene which is clever when one film is set underwater and the other in space.

Anyway the bottom line is this, I liked it and that is what matters.

This afternoon Im gonna have a double session I think with Starhip Troopers and maybe the Matrix. But then again in the same time I could watch Drive, The Replacement Killers and The Corruptor.

Oh and regarding Romeo Must Die, I enjoyed that too, its just I wish people would not be embarresed when they make action movies and try and make the characters in depth and include talking. All we want is guns and blood.
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by DuncanWardle (edited 08-08-2000).]

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fight Club.R1 Excellent film, not what I expected at all. Sound 4* Picture4* (Out of 5)
    Summer of Sam.R2 Another excellent film, again not quite what I expected. Sound 5* picture 3*