New (disappointed) Sky subscriber

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by neil1977, Jan 16, 2008.

1. neil1977

neil1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I had Sky installed last week and after a couple of days noticed that, regardless of the channel I watch on Sky, there is faint "ghost" text on the screen all the time, almost as though there is some kind of interferrence :mad: . it looks almost as though it moves very slowly across the screen....

The first time i noticed it, it was a question asking about the 3rd king of england or something similar??!!

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have a 32" Samsung LCD which is connected via scart to the Sky box, and also connected to a Wii (by scart) and a dvd player (which the chap from sky connected to the Sky box by scart) and also a xbox360 via...er, is it component (the 5 wires - red, yellow, white, blue and green)?!?!!

None of the other sources are turned on when i've noticed the text on screen.

If anyone could offer advice or a suggestion it'd be appreciated!!!

Thanks
    N

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    It's usually caused by crosstalk in the scart lead...the lead is picking up the TVs tuner on its AV input. Have a read here.
    The solution is to cut or recess pin19 in the scart plug at the TV end of the lead.

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Also suggest the following.
    SKY by quality Scart, check picture settings on SKY box are 16:9 not 4:3 and RGB not PAL.
    WII by Component instead of XBOX (Much better)
    XBOX by VGA.
    Also DVD player, quality Scart and check DVD aspect is 16:9 and set to RGB out.

4. solidamber

solidamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    this is not a sky fault you need to cut remove or disconect pin 19 of your scart at the "TV END". make sure to mark this lead and only put the removed pin end in the TV. this is to stop crosstalk caused by your tv sending whatever channel it is tuned into back down into your sky box/ dvdr recorder/VCR. a quick tempory way to reduce this effect is remove the tv arial coax from the back of the TV or tune the tv into a station with a blank screen, then switch to scart input/AV to watch sky.

5. neil1977

neil1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info :thumbsup:
    i'm not around the tele/ scart lead at the moment - is it easy enough to identify pin 19??!!

6. neil1977

neil1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info.
    As i said in my post above, is it easy enough to identify pin 19?!? Do i just snap it off or something?

there is coax is currently going into the back of the tele (i believe) but we barely get any signal at all from the ariel on the roof. If i remove it will it sort the problem?

7. neil1977

neil1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate.
    For the Wii and xbox, can i use the connections you have suggested with the cables supplied with the consoles, or will i need to buy more leads? I cant remember if the wii comes with component leads, and i dont even know what VGA is!!!

thinking about it, i think the back of my tv has 2 scart sockets, one of which - i think - says rgb next to it and the other probably has something like
    av or scart?!?! not sure but i know they are labled differently. Is there any preference as to what should go into each socket from the sources i have listed above (sky, xbox, wii, dvd player)?? :confused:

8. solidamber

solidamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I won't bother sending you a diagram, if you google image search "scart pin" you will find thousands of diagrams, sometimes they are marked on the plastic next to the pins. if the housing comes off around the plug snip and tape the wire if not twist off the pin on some you can sueeze in two tangs with needle nosed pliers and push the pin in, best try this on a low price scart at first I wouldn't want you to ruin an expensive one.

9. neil1977

neil1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, i'll have a google....!
    I have whats seems like hundreds of scart leads in the house, so i should have plenty to practice on! :rolleyes:

10. neil1977

neil1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the scart leads that sky provide are any good?
    Also, is there much difference in picture quality between the signal from a gold plated scart and a bog standard one?

11. Fatwaz

Fatwaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the scart from sky is ok but you can get a fully screened scart lead which is better.a gold plated one is all well and good if you have a gold plated scart socket to plug it into but if not you aren't gaining anything ;)

12. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Have a quick look around on Google for connections types if you're bored. I would, if possible, try to use the following:

Sky - TV via SCART (best you can do) ensuring you set output on Sky box to RGB and you have the SCART into the TV on an RGB capable socket.

Wii - TV via Component (need new leads) to get best connection (480P), or if not get a Wii RGB Scart cable if you have two RGB enabled Scart sockets on the TV. The cables with the original console only give a composite signal, component and RGB are significantly better (though some wierdly prefer composite...)

DVD - TV via component, may or may not need to set DVD Player specifically to this, might depend on model.

I did notice a difference myself between the standard Sky supplied scart lead and some decent Thor ones, but it is marginal for me, using RGB over scart is way more of an improvement than using composite over scart, good cable or not.