1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Digital Interface

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Costas, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I put this in the DVD players forum... But I guess anyone looking at plasmas should find useful too!

This is very interesting. It is the latest I have just received from Pioneer following my latest query on the subject. It covers DVD players but also extends to plasma displays

"It is my understanding that any manufacturer or third party company that has been supplying a DVD player with PAL prog output, has thus far been doing so illegitimately. Subsequently large mainstream manufacturers like Pioneer have not offered any official upgrade or new models including PAL prog output capability. That is until they can legitimately do so.

Technically all plasma displays are indeed inherently progressive display devices. An interlaced signal is interpolated and produced on the display in progressive fields. In my mind the most significant shift in viewing experience will be the introduction of a digital interface rather than the restrictions and unnecessary digital to analogue conversion we have to apply with todays analogue connections (composite, S-Video, RGB, component,
    etc).

For example when playing a DVD: Data from the disc is converted into an analogue output from the DVD player whether PAL, NTSC, Interlaced or progressive. In the case of a digital display device like a plasma the analogue input signal is then converted and interpolated from analogue to digital in order to address the pixels on the screen.

Hopefully by the end of this year we will have (following approval from the worlds electronic, broadcast, film and music industries) a new digital interface (which has already been named HDMI / High Definition Multimedia Interface). This will spawn the introduction of new DVD players and display devices that can for example take the data from a disc, transmit it out of a new type of connector and securely pass it to a digital display device, (No more unnecessary A-D and D-A conversion). Now that should be
    an interesting shift in performance . . ."

End of quote

2. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is absolutely what I have been expecting and might be the reason for the DVD forum to drag their feet on the PAL Progressive issue.

Actually it doesn't make sense to start with PAL prog via YUV at this point of time. Much wiser it would be to start with HDMI. But unfortunately it is still a bit too early for HDMI connectors. They will show up in fall 2003.

I wonder though that anyone at a big consumer electronics company dared to describe it so openly as it might hurt the sales in the coming months.... I can only recommend to everybody to wait with expensive purchases in this area (Plasma and PAL Pro DVD players e.g.) until the end of the year !!!

Thx for forwarding Costas

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi,

I'd just like to add that HDMI is fully backwards-compatible with DVI-HDCP connectors, with a suitable adapter of course. So there is no need to wait for actual HDMI-equipped plasmas to appear - just make sure it has an HDCP-compliant DVI input like the new Fujitsus or Pioneers with an Aurora or Key Digital card fitted.

Steve

4. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. DaveR32

DaveR32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse what might appear a silly suggestion, but if a DVD player came with simply a DVI output, connecting this to a plasma would give PAL prog, so why is there a new standard being created ??

( I also presume this is what the HTPC boys do, ie build a PC with a DVD drive, and a video card that has DVI output, the sound being handled by another source..[AV-AMP] )

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    GOOD Question.

Any interlaced DVD player, whether NTSC or PAL, when connected to a plasma / fixed panel projector will have the interlaced signal converted to progressive, so ALL viewers, whether PAL or NTSC have always seen progressive signal. The ONLY difference with Progressive DVD player (PAL progressive DVD player users note) is the removal of one extra AD stage (which I would challenge anyone to notice anyway when done correctly. The ‘artifacts’ are an order of magnitude smaller than is detectable by human senses and only barely detectable by test equipment).

DVI or the more modern variants pass this interlaced signal digitally, which is good and will reduce the cost of equipment long term. The interface is a well designed one and will tweak quality, particularly at the ‘lower end’ but it is not a fundamental difference. It also carries audio digital signals but deals with jitter etc etc well (at last, RIP SPDIF). At the end of the day DVD is still interlaced as a format and at some point it has to be de-interlaced, these digital interfaces are just moving where this happens around the system (perhaps giving the consumer more options) but is still an interlaced signal that has to be de-interlaced. This will not change until we get progressive formats, like 720p DTheater but again we are stuck on 1080i.