1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by rowlers, May 9, 2005.

1. rowlers

rowlers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy an new digital camera!!

I have a the moment a cheapie 3MP digital that while the images it takes are quite acceptable, the battery life is p*** poor, the start up time is abysmal, the flash takes and age to charge up and finally there is a massive time lag between pressing the shutter and the photo being captured. I find myself having to guess when the object/person is going to be in frame during action shots!!!

So....

I am looking at around the £150-£250 mark (hopefully I can get it in USA cheap!) I also want as small compact design preferably with a metal case. I like the look of the Ixus 30, but not sure what the start up times shutter lag etc.. are like.
    I'd like 3MP, and a 3x optical zoom. other that these requirements anything goes.

WHATS THE BEST CHOICES HOPE YOU CAN HELP!!!

Cheers

Rowlers

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Ixus 30 (SD200 is the american name) is what i bought in December for $260, which is really off the bottom end of your budget mate! Great cam, startup is about 1 second from on to pic in an easy to focus situation, shutter lag is pretty much dependant on the focus, anywhere from instant to a few seconds. AF assist light is brilliant for taking out on the town, no more out of focus pics because of the dark! I only use mine for heavy nights of boozy carnage, and it has survived extremely well! Tends to overexpose and blow highlights a bit too easily in really high DR scenes, but mainly does very well. Definately better value for money than the £600 i paid for my digital Ixus in 2000!