New Digital Camera Advice Please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by loonatic, May 15, 2005.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am looking to replace my aging Sony F505V digital camera with something new.

Was thinking about the Sony F828 but am not really up-to-date on what's hot in the market so thought I'd ask you guys.

Have about £600-700 to spend.

What would you buy or recommend ?

Cheers, Lee

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Do you want a simple all in one? Or would you be interested in getting into SLR photography with all the advantages and disadvantages it brings? You can pick up either of the fine entry level D-SLRs from Canon or Nikon and still have money for another OK lens in your budget :)

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Definitely want something with more manual control than what I have but at the same time don’t want to get too technical…so not sure if that rule out D-SLR this time around…but am open to suggestions.

Cheers, Lee

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you want something with more control, SLR would seem the logical route, although there are some decent All in ones about, SLR gives you more room to progress/upgrade/use up any free cash :)

Go to www.dpreview.com and check out the Nikon D70s and the Canon 350D entry level D-SLRs, both seem like very capable machines, although personally i found the 350D to be too small for comfortable use.

5. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought the D70 (28-80 and 70-300) kit about a month ago and have been very impressed so far. It's been a worthwhile upgrade from my old Fuji Finepix S304, and as an entry-level DSLR, has enough going on to keep me satisfied for a good while yet. The new D70s and Canon 350D are the obvious models to consider initially - get along to Jessops or wherever and get a feel for both.

6. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you don't want to commit to DSLR now then save yourself a packet and look one of the superb all in 1 ultra Zooms available at the moment sub £300. For this money you could pick up one of the beatifull panasonic FZ5's or FZ20's (they have the fantastic image stabilisation system), Alternatively consider the Olympus 770 again a fantastic camera. Before the DSLR guys try and get you to part with your money have a look at what the 770 can achieve...I doubt someone at our level would unduly stress the 770 or the FZ5 / 20 :clap:

These are so good....

http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n/c770_favourites

Mike.