1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New digibox- using old card

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Zig, May 15, 2003.

1. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a BBC freeview card and will be changing my digibox soon. Who do I ring to get the card changed to the new box, Sky or BBC?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    For the time being the BBC are still operating the FTV service with CH4 and Five so give them a ring, however I don't think anyone is 100% sure what will happen in regard to the FTV service when BBC go FTA from 14th July.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is unlikely that they will transfer the card. They seem to prefer to send out a new card. Presumably this ensures it is still being used in the UK. Well, that at least it is delivered to a licence paying UK address.

DaveP

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The general consensus is that from June the BBC will cease to encrypt their channels, this seems to be supported by a BBC press release :-

The BBC today (Wednesday 12 March 2003) announced that from 30 May it will, for the first time, broadcast its eight TV channels unencrypted on digital satellite.

This decision means that digital satellite viewers in the UK will, in the future, be able to receive the BBC channels without a Sky viewing card, through any make of digital satellite receiver. Current and future Sky subscribers will still be able to receive all the BBC's services.

[that is not the press release in it's entirety]

This does not mean that viewers in europe will be able to recieve it either.

5. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys. I rung the BBC and I need to ring them with the system details once I get my new box setup and they will update it.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    By the time you've done this the service will not be encrypted anyway , this happens in two weeks [30/05].

7. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully my box will be here tomorrow so I can enjoy pictures without scrolling diagonal banding (knackered digibox I presume) and I can feed S video to my projector. :D