New Digi SLR - Help on which one please!!!!!!!!!!!

StevePn

Novice Member
Hi
Thinking of buying a SLR but not sure which one:confused: . I have narrowed it down to these, Canon 350D or 400D, Nikon D40 or D40X.
The main points being the 350D/D40 about £100 less.
:lease: Any advise on which one, would be helpful.

Regards
Steve
:arty:

barongreenback

Novice Member
350D and D40 are both excellent cameras and you won't be disappointed with either of them. I suggest you get down to your local camera shop and see which feels the most comfortable in your hands and base your decision on that.

StevePn

Novice Member
Thanks
Are the D40X/400D worth the extra £100+
Steve

stevegreen

Thanks
Steve
I'm not entirely sure on the D40X versus the D40 but I do know that when the 400D was released it wasn't considered to be that much of an improvement over the 350D to make it a natural upgrade path, as opposed to maybe a 30D. If there were £100 in it then personally I would go for a 350D (if you decided Canon was the lens system you wanted in on) and put the spare £100 toward a new lens/battery grip etc. in the future.

As Mr Greenback says though, try them for size in the shop first just to get a feel for what suits you better.

senu

Distinguished Member
I would strongly suggest you actually do a search on these forums.
A few threads to keep you busy:)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509598
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507792
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489998
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500610

These camera models have been discussed rather a lot lately
Suffice to say that while they are different in brand and design philosophy, they are more similar in ability and function than not,
They are all capable of great images in the right hands and while comparing them is natural, the differences are actually more about how they feel in your hands
The £100 gets you from 6 to 10 Mp on the Nikon and 8 to 10, anti dust and bigger LCD screen on the Canon.. These comparison variables can get confusing and may not matter to you
HTH:cool:

barongreenback

Novice Member
Thanks
Steve
Depends what you want to do. It's rather easy to get caught up in the whole more megapixels = better cycle but in actual fact, if you don't plan blowing your images up beyond A4 it's not going to make much difference anyway. If you're starting out I'd save the £100, and as Steve says, put the extra cash towards accessories/lenses as you need them.

stevegreen

It may seem as though we are trying to save you money at the moment but beware.........it's a case of 'Greet them with a velvet glove and crush them 'neath an iron fist' ;) :laugh:

hilly10

Novice Member
I brought the D40 on the back of a lot of reveiws declaring that the D40 up to A4 size pics it out performed the Cannon EOS 400d and its £100 cheaper. The general concenus was its the best value for money Digital SLR on sale today. So the experts say.

senu

Distinguished Member
I brought the D40 on the back of a lot of reveiws declaring that the D40 up to A4 size pics it out performed the Cannon EOS 400d and its £100 cheaper. The general concenus was its the best value for money Digital SLR on sale today. So the experts say.
Depends on which reviews and "expert" opinions you read

I was in the magazine section in My local Tescos Magazine section browsing yesterday and read 2 reviews which said the opposite.:rotfl:

We have ( truly) done the 400D vs D40 thing to death a few times here ( I linked a few of the latter threads in post #5) and are now patiently waiting for their replacements 450D vs D60??:)

Yandros

Novice Member
*cue strains of "I got you babe"*

I'm having another Groundhog Day moment :rolleyes: ;)

As mentioned - see previous threads first, then we can pick up the discussion if you have any supplemental questions :)

Incidentally, my guess is that the D40 will be outperforming its rivals in "straight off camera" tests, as it's heavily optimised for the novice user, and has the latest and greatest image processing system. Once you start post processing, and in particular working with RAW files rather than jpgs, most of the colour/sharpness/artifact issues that magazines pick up on become meaningless.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom