New Digi Box From Pace £100

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bob007, Jan 18, 2002.

1. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/tv_and_radio/newsid_1766000/1766773.stm

Looks as if it's digital TV through the aerial, then if you want to upgrade to the subscription channels you will have to get intouch with ITV DIGITAL............unless Pace are going into the broadcasting business.....!! Am i right ..........!

These wern't a bad read either...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/tv_and_radio/newsid_1542000/1542638.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/tv_and_radio/newsid_1526000/1526685.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/tv_and_radio/newsid_1229000/1229898.stm

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just what we need for a video recorder!

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've been following this news over the past few months and a FTA box couldn't come any sooner.

For me, it would make an ideal second STB. I already subscribe to NTL.

One of the most annoying things is not being able to record in WS whilst watching another digital channel (even if the pic quality is a bit ropey sometimes).

As an SVHS user I am hoping that it has S-Video capabilities via the only SCART socket it has. Although I doubt it at 99.99.
    If it does then this would be a cheaper alternative to buying the RGB to S-Video Converter and SCART buffer set up.

I would imagine it has RGB capabilities though.

From the look of it, it has the bare minimum of socketry, obviously to keep costs down, which in all fairness is the whole point of the campaign...To get as many (95% of the population?) on Digital at an affordable cost.

I've contacted Pace and they aren't releasing any spec until early March.... unless anybody else has any inside info?

Here's a link to the said model....

http://www.pace.co.uk/paceproducts/product.asp?section=DT&product=170

I wouldn't rush out and buy it on it's release as I feel it's the first of several FTA STBs from various manufactures.
    I heard Nokia have something planned and a company called Netgem....
    http://www.netgem.com/english/products/netbox-products.asp

Competition can only be good for the consumer and I just hope one of them realises that there is a large SVHS market waiting to be tapped into.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    However, I'm not looking forward to connecting up another box & SCART to my already complexed set up :(

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just seen this on the lunchtime news. It's not the same shape as the one on your Pace link. It's really really small. Barely any larger than the remote that comes with it. It also seems to have a new EPG but maybe that will change.

DaveP

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is this going to work.......?

If it is through the aerial how is it going to be any different to ITV digital and it's digibox.........we know not everyone can recieve digital through an aerial because of receiption problems.......or am i missing something.....!!

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    That's the one that Pace told me it would be.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It's for those who don't want to take out a subscription and just want FTA channels and own their own STB rather than rent.
    Probably the majority I would imagine.

Dunno how the Govt are going to get round the reception problem areas though!

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Dunno about "majority" but it includes me. I have ITV digital at the moment, but only because its the cheapest way of getting FTA's in widescreen. As soon as I can do without paying subscriptions for channels riddled with logos and adverts, I will.

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just caught the end of the report....will watch the full report on the tea-time news.....
    I can see it increasing the take-up of households wanting digital TV without subs, but not to the extent the government is hoping for, which will allow them to switch off anolouge in 2006/2010.

11. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its got RGB out then I'll probably get one straight away and cancel my ondigital contract, and then depending on the channel line up, get others when my pre paid boxes expire.

I've no interest in the premium channels (I like football but am too mean to pay £18 a month or whatever it is) and would never watch a movie channel (thats what DVDs are for).

My dream line up would be the BBC and Terrestrial FTAs plus the Flextech channels - inc UK Drama.

But I suspect we might get the current FTAs plus either Sky News and UK Gold.

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Why weren't these off the shelf FTA STBs, oops, sorry I mean 'adaptors' available when digital TV first launched?

Why has it taken so long for what he have basically been asking for, for years?

13. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SUBSCRIPTIONS!

They thought we'd pay them - we are not (in big enough numbers) - so now they are looking for revenue from the STB (AKA adaptor?).

Cheers

Laurel

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    ITVdigital will get no revenue from the sale of PACE's new toy.
    However it should once it sells in decent numbers (it deserves too) the channels that are FTA will see an increase in advertising revenue.

Couple of years down the line I can see the analogue only households to be in the minority.
    Now if the government would give a tax break to this technology and make it cheap enough to be included in all recording hardware and display units the future would look bright.