New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

^

Ofcourse change takes time, but the more we as individuals change our behaviour the quicker it will happen.

For us as a family we have already spent our last £ buying a petrol/diesel car, I cannot wait till the RHD Model 3 launches in the UK, at which point I will never ever have to visit another petrol station :).

You'd rather spend 10 times as long, twice as often, sitting at super-charger? ;)

Why do you think that?

I do virtually all my charging at home, overnight as I sleep. Total amount of time wasted going to fuel station in the EV over the last 6 months = 0 minutes, versus having to fill up the other car every month.

The only time I use superchargers is only trips time with planned stops anyways. Getting our E7 meter fitted today at the new house, looking at my last 2 months of electricity use, it's less any £80 a month for the whole house even including doing about 1500 miles per month in the EV with home charging 95% of the time.....No idea what the previous home owners were doing as their previous electricity use was crazy looking at the projections and they didnt even have an EV!!

So ALOT cheaper than fuel costs for any petrol/diesel car, with the E7 meter + home battery storage our electricity bill should drop by 1/3!!

So save money, nicer driving experience, no tail pipe emissions, whats not to like :clap:.

37329457691_756f51a196_b.jpg

Last edited:
How much more was your Tesla than your previous car to buy?

The Tesla is expensive, but no more so than my colleagues Q7 TDI. Having now owned a car capable of carrying 6 adults in comfort I can now see the appeal of SUVs and why cars like the Q7 sell so well.

Given the IDENTICAL purchase costs of the Tesla versus a Q7, the running costs of the Tesla is comical. The last 3500 miles in the EV has cost me £170 in electricty, how far would £170 of diesel get you in a car the size of the Q7?

...And how much will it be worth on selling?

When my X was written off back in June I was offered £4k MORE than the invoice price I paid in March as a settlement figure.

So I could have walked away with a £4k PROFIT despite owning the car for 3 months. But when I looked at the available options there was simply no other choice, so I ended up ordering another Tesla.

I have 0% in selling the new car when it arrives, why would I, can you name me another 6 seater car that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds, enough cargo space to empty the garage of rubbish in one go, cost next to nothing to run, and the safest car in its class?

That's because it's still the current model, I think Alan is wondering what it will be worth in 5,6,7 years time when newer Teslas hover and are powered by a fusion unit running off kitchen waste or fresh air.

I did not know you wrote off your first X. Hope you were ok. What happened? Must have been bad to write off that value of car.
Do you have a home battery? If so which one? Do you charge it at night with the e7?

That's because it's still the current model, I think Alan is wondering what it will be worth in 5,6,7 years time when newer Teslas hover and are powered by a fusion unit running off kitchen waste or fresh air.

I suspect itll be worth the same as any £70-80k car in 5-6-7 years, actually am 100% sure itll be worth more than a 5-6-7 year old Audi diesel come 2022 :).

Interesting to see used Nissan Leaf prices have actually gone up in the last 12 months.

I did not know you wrote off your first X. Hope you were ok. What happened? Must have been bad to write off that value of car.
Do you have a home battery? If so which one? Do you charge it at night with the e7?

A suicidal Seat didn't stop at a junction, damaged the chassis.

35229572236_5de3cbbe56_z_d.jpg

Not on E7 yet, but will be tonight:)

Should have a Tesla powerwall coming soon...Thinking about expanding/doubling the current 4KW solar PV system too.

Glad you are ok. Car looks a mess. How much is the powerwall?

The Tesla is expensive, but no more so than my colleagues Q7 TDI. Having now owned a car capable of carrying 6 adults in comfort I can now see the appeal of SUVs and why cars like the Q7 sell so well.

Given the IDENTICAL purchase costs of the Tesla versus a Q7, the running costs of the Tesla is comical. The last 3500 miles in the EV has cost me £170 in electricty, how far would £170 of diesel get you in a car the size of the Q7?
Answer the question, please.

When my X was written off back in June I was offered £4k MORE than the invoice price I paid in March as a settlement figure.

So I could have walked away with a £4k PROFIT despite owning the car for 3 months. But when I looked at the available options there was simply no other choice, so I ended up ordering another Tesla.

I have 0% in selling the new car when it arrives, why would I, can you name me another 6 seater car that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds, enough cargo space to empty the garage of rubbish in one go, cost next to nothing to run, and the safest car in its class?

Unfortunately you neglected to say what the invoice price was. So a £4K PROFIT (note the capital letters) means nothing.

In addition, if your car cost next to nothing to run then someone else must be paying the cost.

@lovegroova and @Alan CD I think we can agree we will never see each others view points on EVs :).
Not true at all, I think EVs are an excellent thing.

I just object to the ridiculous blinkered Tesla fanboi-ism you constantly post and feel that a balanced view is worth promoting on a forum.

And you still haven't answered the question.:rolleyes:

Well, if we assume he upgraded from his 24kWh Leaf...

Not true at all, I think EVs are an excellent thing.

In which case why don't you get an EV and than provide some real life feedback, rather than just post stuff based imagination rather than experience:).

In my book action speak alot louder than words, I simply find it odd people who have never owned an EV have such strong views on charging times etc.

You'd rather spend 10 times as long, twice as often, sitting at super-charger? ;)
When I get my EV (and, no, it's not a Tesla - sadly) I expect I'll spend no time at all at filling stations OR chargers most of the time. Even with our ancient ICE, the occasions we travel beyond the EV's range before we get back home are extremely rare. I don't forsee any change to this pattern, so and it will only be such occasions that we'll need to spend the extra time filling up on the move. Otherwise it will take "no time at all" to keep it charged.

Of course, if it were a Tesla with "free" charging, then I might well choose to use a Supercharger vs. my domestic supply.

^ I put 50kWh into the car on E7 electricity. Works out at roughly £3.50 for 150 miles of range. So about 2.3p per mile for fuel, for so little cost it really is a no brainer to charge at home.

In which case why don't you get an EV and than provide some real life feedback, rather than just post stuff based imagination rather than experience:).

In my book action speak alot louder than words, I simply find it odd people who have never owned an EV have such strong views on charging times etc.
As I've stated before (but your fanboy glasses only seem to pick up on criticism of the Tesla God), there is no EV that has sufficient range, which is the right size for me, and within my budget at present, so it makes no sense to get one.

Read these links for evidence, if you can see through the spittle flecked anger that someone dare criticise Tesla:
Would you buy an EV for the long term?

As for my "imagination", why don't you read Gordon's threads to see how much hassle an EV currently is? And you've even pointed on more than one occasion out that "non-Tesla EVs" don't really work at present. Here's evidence of that:

Please, please, try to see the whole picture.

I know you are mostly posting in this way in order to build up your recommendations credit but this is a forum, not a way to earn credit.

Last edited:
I simply find it odd people who have never owned an EV have such strong views on charging times etc.
Since charging times are a matter of record, you don't need to own an EV to know what they are, particularly with such useful anecdotal evidence from owners on here. And knowing what they are, you can readily form an opinion as to whether they matter to/would affect you.
After all you'd be daft to buy an EV on the off chance it would suit your driving needs. We certainly had strong views on charging times before we committed to one.

In my book words speak a lot more than action. Research, data gathering, make choice, ensure funds in place, bargaining, purchase, action.

I have no axe to grind as far as EVs are concerned. Let other people blaze the trail, pay the cost, then take stock and wait for the technology to catch up with requirement.

What's the hurry?

In my book words speak a lot more than action. Research, data gathering, make choice, ensure funds in place, bargaining, purchase, action.

I have no axe to grind as far as EVs are concerned. Let other people blaze the trail, pay the cost, then take stock and wait for the technology to catch up with requirement.

What's the hurry?

Why do you think I waited 2 years trying the Leaf, and opened x3 Santander accounts to save up for the Tesla?? I certainly didn't make a decision to buy an expensive EV on a hunch, but if you want the best EV on the market all the research in the world will show you there is only one player in town.

As for why the hurry......In my line of work sadly I see far too often how quickly life end without warning :(.

There is a clear balance between living for today and the future, but as far as I'm concerned if you can afford it and have the interest why no try it :).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom