New detonator Drivers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by calibos, Aug 30, 2002.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Jrwood just saved me $29. He posted a link over at AVS to the new Detonator 40.** drivers. Theres keystone correction amongst other things as well as panny friendly 848x480 & 1280x720 resolutions built into the drivers! Don't need to pay for powerstrip now!:D

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the "driver" keystone correction is as bad as the PJ's, which I assume is, I'd steer clear.

848x480 resolution built into the drivers[/QUOTE]

May well result in a "Wide480" indication on the PJ, but not the true panel res of 856x480.

nVidia are releasing drivers weekly at this stage, in an effort to counter ATI's "kicking their ass" with the Rad 9700Pro (I will have soon:D ).

848x480s been on most drivers I have used, but only Powerstrip allows for pixel perfect mapping on any PJ.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Oh:blush: :D

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the idea of setting your PC to the native resolution of the projector is to bypass the crummy scaler which is in most projectors these days. To be honest you could probably edit the monitor inf or driver inf file in windows to give yourself what ever resolution you need. Also the keystone correction in software is definitly a positive step for people who have to use keystone correction.

If they use keystone correction on the projector the scaler will kick in and make the picture pretty bad compared to bypassing the scaler. If you used the keystone correcton feature in the nvidia drivers (and soon hopefully ATI!) then the resolution is still native to the projector and therefore bypassing the projectors internal crummy scaler.

/James

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Downloaded (haven't installed yet - sat DSL downloading - can't reboot!), but been reading about these new dets.

Apparently these are giving up to 25% increase in performance! (1000 or 2000 increase in 3DMark scores for most).

nVidia are being very naughty. Capping performance of their cards in this way, & releasing some of it with a big release as we now have from ATI.

Also take care installing them. Remove the previous drivers from ADD/REMOVE programs in control panel, reboot & then install the 40s.

Lots have reported serious problems just "auto" installing these over the existing drivers.

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Powerstrip - I've found that you can install the trial, add the resolution, then uninstall PS again, and it leaves the setting in the registry - which is nice.....

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,119
    A lot of the threads at guru3d are reporting glitches with the new drivers.

I doubt there was any conspiracy by Nvidia, the drivers increase the efficiency of the Vertex and Pixel Shaders, hence anything that used them will increase in performance. This means that certain tests on 3d Mark (Nature etc.) will get big hikes and as these tests are weighted higher it naturally increases the overall score dramatically.

This also means that games, which support Vertex/Pixel shading will benefit, seen as a lot don't you are not going to notice a huge amount of difference.

Personally I haven't looked at the drivers yet, I will tonight when I get home. I do use 3dMark, but usually only to test for stability as the scores can be easily rigged and I only benchmark for my own benefit.

Interestingly, there were some reports of improved FSAA, so I will be interested if these drivers have removed some bugs as when I enable FSAA on my Ti4400 it causes all sorts of problems with load times on some games.

8. enajh2

enajh2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most problems seem to be with the language files located in the system32 folder from localised installs.

You will find just deleting all the files in here beginning with "nv" (except nv4_disp.dll which is running! :rolleyes:) will allow the new detonator package to install without any fuss, or you could just uninstall your old driver. Saves you having to reboot though!

The old language files prevent the new control panel from opening in Display Properties by the looks of things.

(I'm no expert, I just like tinkering! :D)

9. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well in the readme for the drivers it as allways said to uninstall previous versions befor you install the new ones . So they must know of these problems .

The best thing to do befor you install anything is to read the info files first .There are allways problems you can run into if not ;)