Quantcast

New design for AVForums commissioned

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
A quick update on the redesign work for AVForums for you. The new look AVForums is coming along nicely but there is still plenty of work to do. I hope to be able to open up the style to forum members to play with later this month.

Attachments

Sofa-loafer

Thanks for the snippet... It looks very crisp & easy to follow.

Hurry up Stuart!!!... I'm gagging for a new look & feel to AVForums. ;)

Good stuff! :smashin:

200p

Will the new forum allow you to add a poll to a thread without timing you and not stop you finishing adding it if you aren't fast enough?

Sofa-loafer

Oh, I spy a new forum design! (The photo's don't resize & project off the screen, oh and the font is a little small.)

Love the newer style. It's nice to see a change for the better! :smashin::smashin::smashin:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Indeed you're right. That looks pretty good but can we have a variable width version please Stuart?

Until then I'm going to stick with the old variable style :smashin:

qwerty321

Im going to say, for now, that I dont like it.

However, Im sure that over time I will get used to it!

Ian J

Banned
Oh, I spy a new forum design! (The photo's don't resize & project off the screen, oh and the font is a little small.)

Love the newer style. It's nice to see a change for the better! :smashin::smashin::smashin:
It's only a work in progress and nowhere near a finished product.

Im going to say, for now, that I dont like it.

However, Im sure that over time I will get used to it!
I mentioned to Stuart that no matter how good any new style was you would always get some people who moaned that they didn't like it.

Congratulations on being the first :D

qwerty321

Thanks but i cant take that accolade just yet. Ive only had a quick glance so I'll return with a better judgement when Ive tried it out a bit more. That was a first glances.

qwerty321

Had a quick look around and there are two things that I can spot at the moment:

Firstly, is the gap on the right hand side, its caused by the Movie review box near the top of each page but maintains the gap all the way down. Not sure about others but personally I would prefer that gone and have the posts extened to fill the inner frame. Pic of what I mean HERE.

The other thing I noticed was that in the new design, there are no "go to latest post" button in the forums. I find that quite helpful if Im going into a thread that I am following.

BEFORE

AFTER

The only place that button still seems to exist in the new design is on the thread subscriptions page.

Im sure these are things that will probably changed as this isn't a final design but thought I would point them out. The current sizes fit perfectly on the iPad. Im starting to like this design now. :smashin:

qwerty321

You can disregard the last bit about going to the latest post, just seen that the button has now shifted to infront of the thread title!

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I have quietly made the new design available for a few people to find. We're aware that there are *lots* of things yet to do - like put a navbar in!!! - and the chap is on the case.
We don't need any feedback yet as it's too early days. The design is variable width up to a point. I have set that point at 1,300 pixels for now. There really is no point in having it wider than that. There are no plans to provide a 100% variable width option at this point.

There are some fairly big design changes which are a stepping stone to xenForo (which is the new forum software we will be changing to in a few months time). These involve reorganising the columns you see both when viewing the list of forums and when viewing the list of threads. This may take a little getting used to but, we think is a much better way of showing you the information you need.
Also the login info has been relocated to the top-right. When logged out, clicking the tab drops down a login/register area which is pretty slick. Again, it's under construction but looking good.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Having just taken a couple of screenshots and had a play in paint.net compared to the default (fixed width style) the gain with the new style is around 200 pixels (slightly less when just looking at post width). Compared to the variable width style I normally use, the new style "wastes" around 600 pixels.

While I do understand the difficulties variable width adds, having the limit as 1300 pixels means anyone with WXGA or higher has wasted space on their screen that could be taken up with posts. I would appreciate it if a fully variable width version was made - even if not fully supported. Is there any way of telling how many use what style or what resolution is mostly used ( I seem to remember something like this from before) - maybe even a poll in GC?

Thanks

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
1 1280x800 878,572 16.91%
2 1280x1024 611,944 11.78%
3 1024x768 579,158 11.15%
4 1440x900 458,022 8.82%
5 1680x1050 455,941 8.78%
6 1366x768 388,964 7.49%
7 1920x1080 293,232 5.65%
8 1920x1200 243,081 4.68%
9 320x480 214,895 4.14%
10 1024x600 102,716 1.98%

So as it is, increasing it from 1,300 will not have any benefit for more than half our visitors.
I think the posts look horrific wider than about 1,300 pixels anyway.

Marc

whoah that's quite a spectacular change Stuart! I like it, looks so much more modern. The font sizes are a bit all over the place (some tiny, some huge) but it's definitely an improvement

edit: font sizes seem fine today, weird! Only one that still look off is the breadcrumb trail at the bottom where avforums.com and forums are in a much smaller font than the rest of the trail. The one at the top doesn't suffer the same problem.

Last edited:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Might want to sit yourself down here Stuart...

I like it :eek:

Certainly showing a lot of potential.

Sofa-loafer

Having used the new format for a few days, I have to say - It's a massive improvement. I shan't go into the reasons other than it feels more modern & less cluttered.

However, I would like a duplicate AVFORUMS template (say AVFORUMS+1) with the text knocked up to the next size. Its just a fraction too small to read comfortably... I have to use my second monitor (with lower res) to read happily.

Please please please... can you click the text up a single notch?

Last edited:

Sofa-loafer

Sample below showing 1920 x 1200... but it's still too small at 1680 x 1050 - my eyes hurt!:eek:

Please, please please... avforums is text based! why so small? It'd also help the visually impaired!

Last edited:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Just as a mater of interest, what CMS are you going to use? Would be interesting as were just looking at some open source version now.
xenForo already caters for single pages. A more flexible xenForo system will be along soon enough.

Marc

is it just me or is the new style extremely laggy when scrolling? I switched back to the old style and it seems far better at scrolling

qwerty321

Hi, how to I change to look for the new layout?
Look right at the bottom of the page and on the left is a drop down, select that and from within that choose AVForums.