1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Denons....do I really NEED a 2805?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by woodgaz, Sep 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been doing my pre buy research and am pretty sure I want a Denon. It's just a case of which one!
    I watch a lot of movies, am not a hi fi snob (I love GOOD sound but wouldnt hear subtle differences) and I have a small lounge (14ft by 10ft). I want the component video switching so I can use the amp for that and have just one cable to the PW6.
    I was tempted by the 3805 because of everyones raving and the COOL looking remote.
    However I think it is probably FAR better than I need, given that I am going to be running it through a set of small Orb speakers I am about to order from the States and the factors above.
    I then went down to Sevenoaks and chatted to their very knowledgable staff and checked out said remote..... Yuk! I thought it would save me having to buy a pronto or similar but in the flesh it looked plasticky and cheap and was very dimly lit (albeit in quite a bright showroom), the membrane over the keys reminded me of a lizards 3rd eyelid.
    That was the main reason for me wanting one over a 2805 scotched.
    Anyway... now I have managed to unearth all the info on the latest 2105. Very little diff between it and the 2805 as far as I can see and it is £449 RRP to the £700 of the 2805. It even does the video upscaling to 100Mhz component!
    I saw the units in Tott Ct Rd (they have only been out a couple of days) and they appear the exact same externally.
    Any ideas as to what they will go for after a couple of weeks on the shelves? (the 3805 and 2805 have come down from the £1000 and £700 RRPs to around £800 and £600 respectively)
    Can anyone give me a solid reason for spending the extra for a 2805 other than for the extra power (which I don't THINK I need.... reasons why more power is good please...)

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2105 doesn't have the Room EQ feature of the 2805 and some internal configurations are different (2805 has Dual DAC's on each channel). The 2105 just has the basic Auto Setup. No Pure Direct Mode or Master Audio Delay for Lip Sync either.

3. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Before all of the above, it sounded v good. Shame

4. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Possibly one of the funniest things I have read in a long time - it's got me heehawing like a demented donkey :rotfl: :rotfl: I want to thank you for brightening up an otherwise dreary afternoon. Brilliant :D

5. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I entertained.
    Thanks for the info Arcangel. I guess the lip synch feature could be useful as I have had issues with that in the past. I'm just wondering whether these extra features are worth the extra cash. £449 RRP will probably come down to £399 or less after a few weeks in the shops and that makes it a good £150 cheaper than the 2805. It looks like Denon could shift a LOT of these things. That said I just read about the new 3910 DVD player and the review was talking about Denons 'upcoming HDMI switching receivers' so how long is this new range likely to be current...

6. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "upcoming HDMI switching Receivers" is more than likely a referral to the new AVR5805 Flagship which has this feature and is due for release in the USA in November.

7. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    To be honest I would just go for a 2805!

8. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done! A 2805 was purchased yesterday for £520 from Krish in Chiswick. Good deal IMO.
    Sound is MUCH better than my 3 year old Pioneer all in one - even my cloth ear could hear there is a massive difference.
    Looking forward to my new speakers arriving from the US and getting the thing set up properly.
    Cheers for the advice guys.