New denon x4200 audsseey phase errors

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by knarlyd, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. knarlyd

knarlyd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just took delivery of the unit. Ran the audssey setup for the first time. It came back with a phase error on both the front main l&r. Checked that each had black wire to black and red to red.
    Called denon and the first tech told me to swap the l&r fronts with the front left and right surround to test the channels. Same errors. so I called denon back and a different tech said to hit the ignore button. I ran some additional tests rerunning audssey each time and it came back with various errore. It mainly came back to the two fronts but once did show only 1 left front error. Keeping in mind that I was changing connections each test.
    The unit is only 1 week old so if I should return it now is the time.

2. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,995
    I'd be tempted to ignore. Touch wood with the Denon I'm on at the moment I've not had a phase error yet. But on previous Denons it would occur regularly. If you are sure on the wiring just ignore and see how it sounds.

3. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,300
    As above. If your cables are the correct way round I would just ignore it. Audyssey does this all the time.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,616
    Some loudspeakers are designed with intentional phase reversals in the drivers in order to address crossover problems or a room's acoustics can also influence the phase detected by the mic and the receiver. The Audyssey calibration will detect this and report an error. You can safely ignore the error if this is the case. You should of cause ensure you've wired the speakers correctly though and not automatically assume the error is due to the speakers' design. Some speakers have been known to be constructed incorrectly with their internal wiring not matching the terminals on the outside, but this is a relatively rare occurrence.

5. knarlyd

knarlyd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I chose to ignore it since I returned and got another one with exact same issue. Tks!

6. knarlyd

knarlyd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I triple checked all wiring and it's good.
    my older onkyo 805 never showed this error but I think it's probably because the mic wasn't nearly as good back then as they are now.

7. knarlyd

knarlyd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to know that it's not a prob with new receiver! For a short time today I was pretty distressed as I've had 2 onkyo receivers with issues. 805 has prob with dvd detection frequently so I bit the bullet cuz I'm tired of doing master reset and trying to get it working.
    Refreshing to just turn on receiver and dvd player and actually have it work without that hassle.