New Denon vs New Sony

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dab, Oct 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Dab

Dab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice on the strengths and weaknesses of the Denon AVR 3802 and the Sony STR VA555ES? They both have similar specifications with the Sony about £80 dearer. :confused:

2. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go and have a listen but I would say the Denon wins hands down on musical ability alone.
    Does the Sony have DPL11, I would definitely recommend this option.
    (I used to own a Sony 940)
    I am very pleased with my 3802
    Paul
    :) :)

3. Dab

Dab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Paul. Yes the Sony has DPL2, also it can introduce a phantom rear centre (if you don't want to fill the room with speakers). Has anyone out there tested the new Sony?

At present I'm going along with Paul about the sonic abilities of the Denon over the Sony - unless anyone knows different.

4. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I've not heard the Sony so I can't really comment, but I have had my 3802 for about a month now, and I am well impressed. It even handles stereo well, something that not too many AV amps seem to manage these days, which is disappointing when you consider the prices that we are paying.

The best thing is to demo both for yourself, but in my opinion the Denon will take some beating.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sure it has the same specs? Phantom Rear center sounds like a missing 6th channel of amplification to me, or in other words just another DSP mode ...

6. Dab

Dab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies. The Sony does have full 6.1. So far no one has recommended the Sony over the Denon and I would like an a/v receiver with decent stereo for music. I'd still like to try out a comparison - anyone know of a/v dealers in England where they stock both?

Regards,
    Dab