New Denon Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mutley, May 29, 2004.

1. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Avsforum
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=368827&perpage=20&pagenumber=8

"Two DVD players:

4D1 (DVD-1710) -(substitute for the 900)
    Similar to the DVD-900.
    No digital video or hi-res digital audio outputs.
    MSRP $199 - $249.
    [​IMG]

4D2 (substitute for the 1600)
    Probably digital video output
    Think of a DVD-1600 with HDMI.
    MSRP $299.

Three universal players:

2910 (substitute for the 2200)
    Due September
    No Denon link
    DCDi
    MSRP $699

3910 (substitute for the 2900)
    Due out July/August
    1700 series Burr Brown DACs
    DCDi
    Denon link
    Picture mode adjustment
    RS232 port
    Better bass management
    MSRP $1299

DVD-5910 (substitute for the 5900/A11)
    Due September
    MSRP $2499"

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I presume only the 4D1 is without hdmi?

ad

3. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Only that one doesn't have digital video output. but not sure if all others will have HDMI instead of DVI...

4. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming they fix the monoblocking problem with DCDi! if not the problem will also be in these players as its a chip problem with Farajoura :thumbsdow
    cheers laurie

5. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    don't know if that is correct.

Meridian G series DVD payer has the same deinterlacer chip from Faroudja and doesn't show macroblocking.

There are people who believe it's in the MPEG decoder chip rather than the deinterlacer one.

Well, either way, the problem is there and hope they fix it.

6. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mutley,

I understand that you're trying to be helpful here, but I think you ought to clarify where you got the information from, and provide a link to the respective threads at AVS forum. People will then understand the context of the info (e.g. the features of the new players, bar the 1710 which has been confirmed for Europe, are unconfirmed 'leaks', and they relate to the US market). Jeff Talmadge of Denon USA neither confirmed nor denied any of these guesses. That goes double for Denon UK/Europe.

Here are two links which I believe you have gleaned info from:

Thread Discussing New Denon Players
    Thread discussing FLI23XX & Macroblocking

Plagiarism is not cool. That's rule No.1 of forum posting -credit the source. I think the real mods will tell you that. :nono:

Moory

7. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    YellowCows,

You're Right, sorry. :clown:

But it was only inform people here, never tryed to say that i was the source of the information... As it was obvious by my post that i wasn't.

Jeff didn't denied and confirmed that the whole line up of dvd players will be replaced till the end of summer (october the lately). Also confimer the substitute for the A11 for September (links you provided)

Cheers, :)

8. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yellcows dont be so sanctimonious - it gets more like the avsforum everyday.

9. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sneaky,

Not to say that Mutley deliberately plagiarised (I didn't say he did, I said it wasn't cool), but how would you feel if people quoted you or lifted info from you that you went to the trouble of gathering and posting, and gave you no credit?

Further, if people don't clarify the sources of information, especially unconfirmed information, it is taken as fact by many - and that's how rumours start. The information that was given here was qualified in the original posts - meaning it was put into context and deliberated - without quoting the source, the context is missing. Again, without context it can be taken as a known fact, which it isn't as yet.

There was no malice or condescension in my post - I merely pointed out a forum faux pas. It is in all our interests to know the whole truth, not part of it.

FWIW, I think Mutley took it with humility and great character, so :thumbsup: to him.

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    YellowCows, AVS isn't the source of all knowledge, I'm sure there are many more forums where this has been discussed. You could take any AV subject and AVS is so large that it would have been discussed at great lengh, it doesn't mean we should post links to AVS every time we choose to it discuss here. Besides AVS is so full of crap you can't trust anything posted there.

11. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im with you Jeff.

As for plagarism - everybody does these days - the copyright and patent laws aint what they used to be.

Take Microsoft - Have a look at where they started.

12. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jeff,

I understand what you're saying. That's not the point I was making - the point was that when posting, or pretty much copying as is the case here, information from a third-party source, that source should be credited, or at least one should say where one got the information from. Whether that is from another forum, another member, a press article or from the manufacturer - information new or old should be qualified.

It just so happens that in this case, Mutley did get the information from AVS, I recognised it as such, having come across it myself at AVS, and I posted the links where I believed he got it from, which he later confirmed. I made no inference that 'AVS is the source of all knowledge'. It is the source here, that's all.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    its just not possible to go about crediting sources on here..... if you want to do that you would spend all day since most things anyone on here posts actually comes from somewhere else...... plus I would advise you to watch out because it is not forum policy to encourage linking to alternative forums.

Ad

14. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All I wanted was for people to have the whole picture. I still believe that it is forum etiquette to specify sources, especially when stating facts and figures, not so when merely giving an opinion.

If it were set in stone what new players were due, how much they cost and what their features were, perhaps the source wouldn't be as important (because it would be from an official press release or such), but when the info is speculation, whether informed or not, and there was a qulification to that speculation that was omitted here, as was the case, I felt the need to point it out.

It also saves someone else posting saying 'well actually...'. However, in the end, I made the point, you all have a right to disagree. Fair enough.

Moory

15. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  16. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand. Mutley DID include a URL for the thread at avsforum.com.

17. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, forget that- I assume he added it afterwards.

18. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I assume from that they are totally different signals and here's me thinking they are called different names but with the same signal so what is the difference :lease:
    cheers laurie

19. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My thoughts exactly Laurie.

HDMI was sold as being full backwards compatible with DVI using an appropriate adaptor cable, and it obviously is, but maybe only up to a point.

I can only assume that the new Denons have both because their engineers have found that Displays with DVI inputs work better with a DVI output than with an HDMI output and adaptor cable.

20. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dr_Mike

I can remember someone on a forum saying its just a matter of pulling one pin out for it to work on both because I was not interested at that time I did not take much notice
    cheers laurie

21. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think the hdmi.org website is abit of a sales pitch in terms of back compatibility with DVI. There was some talk on avs about problems with near-black and near-white levels ("Black Crush" and "White Crush") when HDMI feeds a DVI input, it was abit over my head, but it seemed to boil down to different "video" and "computer" standards for digital signals. I'm wondering if this is why Denon are putting both outputs on the same player. I can't think of any other reasons why they'd do it

I guess 'compatible' is quite a loose definition when it comes to these things. My DVD player & TV are both 'compatible' with a composite video signal, but it's not the best quality.

23. Jesse350

Jesse350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody. I am very interested in purchasing one of the Denon universal players. I have read in various forums different dates for them to be sold in the U.S. Some say August or September plus early 2005. Does anyone know for sure when? I am setting up a home theatre in 3 or 4 weeks and really need a player since I do not own one at present. Thanks for any accurate info.

Jesse :hiya:

24. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I think also using HDMI allows PAl material to pass at 50hz
    whereas DVI is limited to 60hz on the A11.

Also the clever bit is you can pass an interlaced signal via HDMI, so people who spend megabucks on external scalers
    will have an ideal feed. (so if there are any nigles with the faroudja chipset still then they can be bypassed this way)

25. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think the A11's inability to sent PAL at 50Hz over DVI was a problem with early firmware which has been resolved.

"but to have our tests devoted that also PAL DVDs do not produce any problems, which expenditure takes place as appropriate "HDTV50" Signal."

Babelfish Translation from

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/dvd-player/Denon_DVD-A11/TestA11.htm

For the new Denon machines, I hope they bring the "1910" to the UK. It's got DVI and Faruadja FLi23xx but without SACD or DVD-A or (i'd imagine) particularly good analogue bits, all for under $300 (US). Could match the Digital video performance of the A11 for alot less cash

26. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Nah i think it did a pseudo converstion to PAL 50 via dvi, as it is a lttle choppy at times even with later firmware.

But i may be wrong, as i havent seen the very latest firmware in action as my A11 has gone

27. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  28. Drem

Drem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Strange Avland.co.uk removed the DVI thing from the 2910 specs. The picture cleary shows the DVI output and this picture also is the same as the one on the Denon japanese webpage.