1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Denon players and DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dgr6966, Oct 11, 2004.

1. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Has anyone with one of the new Denon players (1910/2910/3910) experienced problems with DVD-R disks?

I have a 2910 that I received on Saturday and it plays a DVD-Shrink produced movie-only copy of R1 Toy Story2 flawlessly but a copy of R1 Man On Fire that I borrowed from a friend will barely play at all. The first attempt resulted in lots of macroblocking as I skipped chapters and then it hung completely. When I opened and closed the disk drawer I just got a disk error. It has been suggested that the Denon may be sensitive to poorly authored disks or is it the case that the transport and pickup is less forgiving than other players and just doesn't read DVD-R very well?. My old player, a Toshiba 210, played the disk pretty well with a few freezes towards the end and a Ronin player that I bought for £30 plays it perfectly :rolleyes:

2. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    For what it's worth, copies of Shaun of the Dead (-R) and Legally Blonde 2 (+R) played perfectly on my 1910. These were different brands.

3. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After further testing it seems that the only problem disk for the Denon is the second one I tried, the copy of Man On Fire. I tried to reauthor this disk using DVD Shrink but it reported an invalid navigation structure. It would seem that the Denon doesn't like dvds that don't conform to standard. If that is the case and and all properly authored disks play properly I shall be happy. As an aside, my £30 Ronin player plays Man On Fire perfectly. :rolleyes:

4. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine failed to play Kill Bill 2, copied with DVD shrink, but it worked on my £40 LG player from Woolies. Think I'll swap it for a Pioneer 868i.

5. IBZoomer

IBZoomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had problems on the 3910 with video spreckling, hesitations, dropped video/audio 15 to 45 minutes into material I've recorded onto DVD-Rs. Also, I have had this problem with a few purchased DVD's as well. Case in point, The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King Extended Edition. I have tried two different DVD sets of this and in both cases the problem occurred on disc 2 - the first had the problem at the dual layer break and ultimately the picture froze. The second exhibited similar problems when playing back the cast audio commentary version. I have upgraded the firmware on the 3910 and the problems still occur.

BTW, the above DVD-Rs and both Return of the King Disc 2s play flawlessly in much less expensive Panasonic (2 of them) and Sony DVD players as well as on 2 PC DVD drives.

I have reported this to Denon and await their response.

So far I am extremely displeased and dissatisfied with the Denon DVD-3910.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Thank you for the advice IBzoomer, I was looking at the Denon 3910 and appreciate any advice anyone can give on faults or problems with this player or the Arcam DV79.
    :clap:

7. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also an user for 3910. So far it works fine for me, I'm always playing DVD-R copy after region code removal, AVI converted to DVD format, etc.

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    When i had my denon 2200 it too had problems with copied discs that other machines played fine (my old sony 900v matched it on sound and picture quality and played any copies) thats why the sony got its old place back and i sold the denon on.Iam going to sit on the fence till the new hd players and prices level up then iam going to go with the hd plasma and hopefully a good compatible dvd player.In defence of the denon the lack of layer change was great its a shame this cant be said of a lot of other players.
    Cheers Gonzo.