new Denon player video differences

HouseofMu

Established Member
Reaction score
I've (like many others no doubt) been comparing the differences of the forthcoming Denon players (1910, 2910, 3910).

For me video quality is the priority, I'm not fussed about the DVD-A/SACD playback.

The video DACs in both the 3910 and 2910 are the same (Dual, Discrete 12-bit, 216MHz Analog Devices Video DACs) but the cheaper 1910 doesn't have these.

However, am I right in thinking, these higher grade video DACS only affect video output quality via Component connection and if I were to just use the DVI connection, they're not employed - making them redundant?

I see the DCDi FLI chips are also different, but I believe from a little research, the FLI2301 (in the 1910) is analogue+digital capable whereas the dearer FLI2310 is purely digital (hence the use of external DACs), again making the different versions irrelevant - unless the quality of the scaler is different?

So, in a nutshell, if connecting via DVI, the video quality should be exactly the same as either the 2910 and 3910 ???

neil.

That is a very interesting point, must be some DVI guru's out there who can answer it?

was hoping gordon or any of the resident super-techie experts would be able to throw some light on it, but of course, open to anyone for an opinion...

Is it the DCDi FLI chips that also do the scaling duties? would they make a difference?

n.
(edited for spelling!)

As far as I know the 2910 and 3910 are the same video wise. However ive heard that they suffer from macro vision blocking so there is a 5910 coming which solves this problem.

This is just what I heard. As for the 29 and 39, i would say video wise there is no dofference, but sound wise there may be! Just buy which ever one you can afford, or find!

Hmmm. not much difference between the 2910 and 3910. Only in the sound department.
I think ill go for the 2910 and save money for the upcoming Blu-Ray VS HD-DVD battle!

I'd come across that table as part of my R&D into the models, it seems to indicate no difference/improvments - on the video side using DVI - from the 1910 to either of the higher models. This may even include the 5910 thats mentioned.

Anybody throw any light on the scalers/deinterlacers used in these models?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom