"NEW" Denon 2900 Rocks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sbelo, Jun 9, 2003.

1. sbelo

sbelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got one of the first Denon DVD2900 DVD/SACD Players.
    Just to let you all know what a difference it has made with my setup:- Hitachi 42" Plasma 42PMA400 + Denon 3800 DTS/5.1 Amp.

Where with my previous DVD "Sony 7700 DVD" I sometimes experienced Vertical banding on the Plasma, The Denon has no such defect. Blacks are much better, the sound is fabulous & the old layer switching & lag that the Sony suffered from, seems to have dissapeared. Progressive Scan through the DVD, rather than using the Plasma's decoding is much better.

CD Performance is also superb. Waiting for a delivery in the post so I can test the SACD functioallity.

Got a really good deal from Nexnix.co.uk £530+vat. They have got stock (black & Champagne) if anyone wants one in a hurry.

I could not believe the difference that this has made to my system. It's way better than I had anticipated.
    :clap:

2. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can you tell me if Nexnix are supplying multiregion 2900's or can it be done with a hack at home. I assume it is PAL progressive out of the box.

Cheers

Dave

3. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appears to be PAL Prog out of the box (menus) don't have capable screen to check as yet. Home hack to come for multi region.

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've been speaking to a couple of dealers, who also stock the 2900 and according to them it is a firmware mod for multi region.....so not to sure who is right or wrong.......

Anyway....not knowing anything about nexnix or know many people that have used them in the past.

I got Avland to price match it, but they have no stock at mo......so i should get it by the end of the week, with the multi mod done by them.

I just cant wait (but i have to).....i hope it is a big improvement over my 656 for sound.......pal prog is not an issue for me at mo, as i have an RP set.

5. sbelo

sbelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nexnix told me it will be available over the next few weeks.
    I got mine with a view to hacking it when available.:)

6. sbelo

sbelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way. It's a disk, so nice & easy :clap:

7. sbelo

sbelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re Nexnix:

I have known them for 7 years. They are a superb company to deal with. Even when I have had a problem they get it sorted & quickly. I reccomend them to all. 10 out of 10;)

8. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have seen there name pop up, now and again, but have not heard of many people that have brought from them.

There prices are good...as one dealer i contacted, to price match the 2900 said.......that is an unbeliverble price.
    The dealer did not evern try to price match them, as they could not get anywhere near it.

I hope you do get the mod, with no trouble.
    I cannot see why denon are taking so long on getting the disk out,seeing as it has been out for a couple of months in the states with the multi mod.

I saved a whole 75p by getting it through the dealer i ordered with.

Good luck to both of you and i hope that these do not start getting troubles like the earlier models did.

Maybe denon are waiting to supply the disk, with a hope to correct the suppossidly BM problem.

9. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    How is the 2900 with lip sync in pal progressive mode. The reason I have been holding off from getting a pal progressive player is because a lot of progressive players seem to have a problem with this. I believe examples of this can be found in AOTC and Jurrasssic Park.

Thanks

Mark

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is all down to how the de interlacing is done (chipset) and there should be very little difference between PAL and NTSC, the problems on the Jurrassic park disc are down to poor DVD disc authoring (not chipset), players should not effect this but unfortunately some in the past have like Pioneers. All decent PS players will have some lip sink, this just needs to be delayed globally in the audio processor.

11. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to go a bit off topic here but could any of you guys tell me if the 2900 has "gamma" control in the picture setup menu? The reason I ask is the only problem I have with my current dvd player is that dark scences in movies are a bit too dark so a mate told me I could fix that if I had cotrol of the gamma output (hope it's true).

Regards,

12. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes but there have been noted problems with the Philips 963 in progressive mode that were not apparent in interlaced mode. I just want to check that the Denon does not have these problems.

13. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to follow the post..

When you get a SACD or DVDa disk post here with any comments.
    And Please also advise whe you eventually get your region hack.

Im considering this as a dealer upgrade from my 2800mk2.
    As this current player suffers chroma bug the 2900 apparently doesn't.
    my 2800mk2 doesn't support sacd and DVDa which i would like also.

thanks.

14. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so is everyone just ignoring the avsforum problem threads on this player?

its already screaming as another "Denon dud".

if you're going to buy one, definitely have a search on there first.

15. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    mmmmmm

the AVS Forum.....

At this rate, there are so many (good) appropiate home entertainment & related forum sites, to read them all, Id never have time to do any work or use the equipment that I have purchased! ;-)

But I will go and glance as It is on my list as a possibility.

Adrian

16. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Got mine yesterday and had a quick play last night..

You can indeed adjust gamma as well as many other visual settings. You can also save them into up to seven 'memories' so in your case you could have M1 as 'dark movie', M2 'normal' etc etc.

SACD performance is superb. Compared to my old Sony 670 MC-SACD anyhow. Pleased that the 2900 does show the CD text as well (toggle the display button to get it).

Still has that annoying Denon feature where if you 'soft' power down the unit via the remote with the draw open it stays out. Sony players (and maybe others) will shut it and then power down. Not a big deal but I'd got into the lazy habit of removing the disc and then just hitting 'off'.

There has been a slight change in the facia shape and colour on this model. The black is now slightly more matt finish and the FP corners radius slightly left to right as well as the angle front to back. Probably matches 3803 receiver but (pedantic) 3802 and older receiver owners might notice the difference.

But so far so good :)

17. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so lets all have a laugh... care to try Seven R2 on it? :)

18. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MartinCo I tried to read all 541 entries on 28 pages on avsforums but lost the will to live.

To sumarise. When playing DVDA and SACD out of the 5.1 analogue ports the .1 sub output is apparently 10db lower than the other 5 channels. Making the base sound muted.

There is so much ranting in the thread it is difficult to pick out the relevant points. But DenoJeff said it was designed that way. It is possible to manage the individual levels, basically taking 5 channels down -10Db and leaving sub at 0db. This does not affect the coax/fibre DD/DTS link. Denon USA have put up a tech note pdf on the subject.

Alternatively if you have a smart amp you can adjust the 5.1 analogue inputs. Dont know if my AVC-A11SR does this.

So the question is has any one compared the 2900 to the Pioneer 757Ai or marantz 8300 in store?

I am hoping to do this in a couple of weeks when my local store has set the pioneer and Denon up.

Rog

p.s Denon UK will your web site ever get an update its not 1999 anymore.

19. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Posh bloke where did you get yours from and is it Multi region?

Rog

20. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    rnjone ... was just wondering that question myself ... has anyone compared the new Denon to the Pioneer 757ai ... not that I'd swap (for one thing the Denon isn't avaliable in silver) just curious.

21. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Yes it does. You can adjust the EXT IN channel levels from -12 to +12. Should be the same for most Denon's.

The later 3803 & 5803 (A1SR) have another option in their setup menus which instantly boosts the EXT SW Level by +15.

22. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase, nice one thanks for that I had a look through the manual yesterday after posting and its not obvious. But I havent looked on the Amps GUI yet.

I also got HCC yesterday. No 2900 review :(
    But it says next months mag will cover DVDA and SACD so hopefully there will be some more info then.

Looking to replace my Sony 735 with a Universal machine. Cash flow means I will have to wait a month or so anyway.

Rog

23. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I finally cracked under the pressure and got a 2900, I paid £699 inc. shipping & M/R upgrade from Creative Audio. Note: all comparisons are made against my KISS DP-450.

Build: Miles better than the Kiss, feels very solid. It weighs just over 8 Kg which is about double the Pio 757ai and even 2 Kg heavier than the current No.1 universal player Mrtz DV8300. Now I know most people say heavier doesn't mean better but I used to get lots of skipping when I was playing a bassy CD loud due to my sub being close to the player which I assume was due to the vibrations going through the rack, this problem has now completely gone due to (I think) the overall weight and build of the player.

Picture: I must say I liked the progressive picture from my Kiss player but the Denon again is miles better. I have currently only watched R2 Pulp Fiction SE which used to look slightly "washed out" and soft but now is sharp and full of detail and SE7EN R2 SE which apparently is a problem disc with denon's but I didn't have any at all. BTW the player is definitely PAL ProgScan out of the box.

Sound: DD/DTS sounds only slightly better than the kiss. CD sounds great though through both coax and analog (in direct mode). SACD and DVDA sounds awesome. I have never heard either format before but was very impressed. The first SACD I tried was the M/C "Survivor" album by Destinys Child. First impression was "this sounds crap, all the bass seems to be coming through the centre speaker", but I then remembered all the talk about bass management, so I disabled the filter setting on the player which I believe sets all speakers to large and enables the sub and let my amp do all the work. All my Hi Res titles now sound great. My current favourites are REM (DVDA), Eagles(DVDA), Destinys Child (SACD) and The Who (SACD). Oasis (SACD) and Elvis (DVDA) don't soud bad either.

So there you go, overall I'm very happy with this player and am pleased I went for it. The only thing that doesn't seem too good on it is the internal Bass Management , but that might just be me not setting it correctly.

BTW, it has no problems playing DVD-R's (datawrite "yellows").

Regards,

24. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi Oasis-GasPanic,

Can the 2900 play DVD-RW ?

dvd :)

25. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oasis-GasPanic, have you seen the Denon 2900 on Creative Audio's website yet cos I'm after some other stuff from them and would maybe be interested in a 2900 when the multiregion has been confirmed.

Cheers

Dave

26. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry I found it on their website, but at £749. Is it really £699 or did you get a special deal!

Ta

Dave

27. TedH

TedH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought and installed my 2900 (Region 4, but multi-region) a couple of days ago (I'm in Australia and it has only _just_ become available here). Everything is good; here are the only quirks so far:

1. I have a receiver *without* separate level control for the 6-channel analog inputs, so to make the bass management (on DVD-A/SACD) a non-issue, I have the 2900's levels turned down by 10dB for all channels except the LFE, and use the digital output for my receiver for DD/DTS, and analog for SACD/DVDA. This way I have the LFE level "right" for all those media.

2. Out of the 40 or so discs I have put into the player, I have exactly ONE playback issue. This is with the Queen "Greatest Video Hits 1" DVD (UPC 24349 29449). The disc loads up correctly BUT when the animation of the menu finishes, the player _switches_off_ the video output(!), meaning you have to select the track to play "blind". As soon as you do so, the video output is restored and all is well. Probably an authoring issue with the particular disc's menus, but it doesn't happen with any of the other players I own.

ted.h.

28. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    dvd, I haven't had a chance to test DVD-RW's but will try one within the next few day's and get back to you. Dave777, creative audio do it for £749 with a free digital coax cable worth £25, but I asked them to match AVLAND.CO.UK's £699 which they did without any problems. I did ask them about Nexnix's £622 and they said Denon are going to cut their account due to them selling these players at cost price, so I'd hurry :)

29. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no-one seems to be mentioning the fact that the 2900 has the chroma bug.

big thread going on this and the 2900's other issues over at avsforum, and worth reading before you buy this player.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=268687&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

quote from don at hometheaterhifi
    so lots of Disney material and also some films are going to have this problem and it isn't fixable.

at least Denon are consistent... bugs in every player.:)

30. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    So what player would you suggest we buy then.......???

The pioneers have croma bug, as well as many other players.....my 656 has it, but unless i pause the film and Zoom in to 3 times the size i normally watch, i cannot see it on my 42" rptv,so it is not a prob for me.......and i never intend to upgrade to a projector with a 10 foot screen...maybe a plasma, one day.....but then, it will still not be a big issue for me....evern if i buy a 61" plasma.

You seem to be slagging something off, just on rummers that you have heard or read.......just like 70% of the people moaning on Avsforum (they dont own the player either).

There is no such thing as the perfect player....as you would know, if you have been reading the avsforums, in such depth.