new denon 1730 very poor ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bluenose boy, Dec 25, 2006.

1. bluenose boy

bluenose boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi all merry xmas.
    i have just got the denon 1730 dvd player and cambridge audio hdmi cale all in cost £180 and to my eyes its no better than my old packard bell dvd player over component which only cost £50,also i feel the build quality of the denon is pants .
    i was going to take it back for the pioneer dv696 was wondering if its any better or can you guys recommened one for no more than £200.

hope im not slagging the denon if i have no set it up properly but tryed it via component and hdmi with no im provement over my old set up,on hyundai a310.
    cheers.

2. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the DVD-1930, which is a model up the current Denon product line and which is a massive improvement on the pretty decent budget Toshiba that it replaced, so I'm inclined to wonder what your settings on the 1730 are, which TV you're using, etc?

The pic on my 1930 is fantastic over a Belkin Pure AV component lead into my Panasonic CRT - is it just a matter of making some minor tweaks in your display's settings menu?

3. matty555

matty555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you were thinking of changing your DVD Player I would buy the Denon 1930, I have the older 1920 connected via HDMI to my Panny and the picture is excellent. The HDMI cable I am using is a cheapie and still the picture is far better than my previous Panasonic DVD player.:thumbsup:

4. bluenose boy

bluenose boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    maybe is the settings guys,over component its ok just no improvment on a cheepie player i already have. i have tryed all the setting up to 720p and its the hdmi that gives me the most trouble its shrinks the picture both verticaly and horizontal which is most annoying,probably by as much as 1" over component.
    to be honest it works better via component with upscaling switched off but even at that its no better than my £30 old player,which defeats the purpose of buying it unless its the setting but i have tryed all the different setting with no joy.
    the tv is a Hyundai A321 32" Widescreen HDMI 8ms LCD TV HDTV Display which is ok for the price and great on xbox 360 via vga.
    maybe its the display thats pants on hdmi im totally stuck to be honest.
    cheers for replays especially as its xmas day.

5. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have the very same and find the picture to be simply stunning over component!

I have the video out set to Component (Progressive) and the Progressive set to Auto 1. The clarity, detail and depth of field are all wonderful!

I suggest you check your settings again...

6. bluenose boy

bluenose boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks for the setting advice Spangle2k5 gave them a try with no joy still very poor m8 also to make things worse the disc drawer has decided not to open and is turning itself off.
    think ill just put it down to getting a faulty unit and pop it back to the retailer tomorrow.
    cheers