New dell 37" hd lcd tv

Very impressive connection set for sure.

Says it has DVI but I don't see it on the zoom in of the back.

If you click the back of the tv on right one of the blue dots says dvi in. But then if u zoom in there are two white connectors that look abit like hdmi(though im not sure as i havent seen many hdmi connectors)?

edit: on top of the blue vga there seems to be a connector above it.

you shouldn't pay to much attention to the connectors.

Specs on dell site are mostly correct.

So it will have hdmi, dvi AND vga... On the pic it shows like 2x hdmi

Euh, Paulo, what you see above are the real connections. The thing below is a "projection" so you could see them.

Damn, just as we'd narrowed the choice down to the Tosh and JVC. Now Dell come up with a set that looks like it fits the bill 100%. The only thing they don't say what screen formats it can handle (4:3, natural wide, that sort of thing). I can't believe all it does is 16:9, which is all it mentions.

Guess I'll have to phone them and find out.

Regards

Mark

Not a Tosh TV fan, but I'd be surprised if the Dell was a patch on it, nevermind the JVC, which is one of the best at the moment.

Given Dell is now offering MCE 2005 as an OS option and this has DVI, HDMI and VGA, might we see an LCD that can do 1:1 well?

They've nothing to lose, and everything to gain, whereas the majority of manufacturers will claim the TV is just that, and PC hook up is nothing more than a courtesy rather than a genuine feature.

I think the picture of the connections at the back is ioff the american model.It has no scart sockets and 2 hdmi sockets which is becomming the standard over in the USA. I would bet that the listed details are correct as dell have a good track record of getting the details correct on their web site. And seeing as this is a big dive into the lcd tv market I think dell want to get it right.
Only problem is getting to see one in the flesh. I might be able to get hold of one at a discount (seems like if you know the right person dell will knock money off!) only problem is I wont be able to see it up and running in a shop next to other lcd's. I do like the design, very stylish, if I could just cover up the DELL logo at the bottom it would be perfect!
Seems to have all connectors you will ever need. Personally I would be happy with one rgb scart and an aditional component or hdmi slot.

Confirmed, the usa model has 2 hdmi and 2 component so that rear access panelpicture is taken from the usa version.

It was looking good until I got to "Response Time 16 milliseconds (b/w, typical)" in the Tech Specs / Display section.

I know that response time is not an exact science, and I'm assuming that "b/w, typical" means the typical time to switch from black to white (which seems like the sternest test). Nonetheless, 16 ms isn't exactly cutting edge.

On the other hand, I'd be more than happy if real life proved the numbers wrong

Blimey,

I have just been ranting on about binning my Sky contract and saving over £40 per month......now I know what to spend it on.......it must be meant to be :thumbsup:

Other than the possibility of 1:1 mapping how is this screen better than say the Toshiba WLT58 or Sharp GD7E?

nobody nows yet it just looks good gonna try and find some reviews of the us version.

Mark_a said:
Guess I'll have to phone them and find out.

Well, that was a waste of time. After lots of mucking about I was put through to an Indian call centre. All very polite but didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Seemed vaguely surprised that Dell even sells TVs, let alone how to answer simple questions like "What screen formats does it handle?" or "Does it have an industry standard bracket mounting holes?" Might as well have been talking Martian. :(

Regards

Mark

SWMBO says I can have one of these, I need someone to spend their money first though! If it's pants she'll kill me!

It's to replace my Sony 36" CRT which has an incredible picture. I really need all this connectivity though.

Dave

Well, that's it. I downloaded the owner's manual from Dell and the freakin' thing won't do non-linear stretch mode. All it's got is a zoom or a 4:3 mode for displaying 4:3 material.

Oh well, back to the Tosh and JVC then. Pity, it really looked damn good. :(

Regards

Mark

heh well if it gives 1:1 pixel match via dvi then it would be good

but knowing dells past with previous LCD tvs this will be crap

I received one of Dell's 37 inch LCD TV's two weeks ago. I'd say the picture is pretty good. However:

I'd like to hear from anyone that has experienced the following problems as they seem like software bugs in the TV's operating system. And given the price of the unit I'm pretty annoyed:

1. When using the digital tuner (integrated) you can only change channel using the up/down keys - unless you have just used the up/down keys in which case using the numbers on the remote control will change channel as long as you do it quickly (within a couple of secs) - otherwise it stops working again.

2. If you 'delete' a channel from the DTT channel table then the menu system crashes requiring a reboot

3. There's no way of browsing channels by name (i.e. no channel menu). OK so this isn't a bug but a pretty basic expectation from any digital TV/box...?

4. If you try and rename an analogue TV channel nothing happens.

IN ADDITION I'D LIKE TO REPLAY WHAT I WAS TOLD BY DELL 'RELATIONSHIP TECHNICAL SUPPORT' - any by the way this chap was apparently a team manager(!)

1. On explaining these problems: "Its working to design"
2. On challenging the fact that DTT channel selection did in fact work intermittantly: "well I'd say that was a fluke"
3. On challenging how he knew it was working 'to design': "well we at dell know about these things" and "no I don't have the manual"
4. At which point I asked him who made the monitor for Dell "I don't know"

I'd say the problems are silly software glitches, which should be easily fixed... but came away from my 'relationship technical' experience with the distinct impression that I was being (a) treated like an idiot and (b) fobbed off.

Would anyone like to add to this? Any similar experiences?

Got a call back from Dell today saying that they have discussed the issues with the screen manufacturers who have confirmed that the problems are software-related. I'm told that they are working on a fix.

As the screen has an RS232 (factory use) serial port I'm hoping they will flash the firmware.

ccparkhill said:
Given Dell is now offering MCE 2005 as an OS option and this has DVI, HDMI and VGA, might we see an LCD that can do 1:1 well?
There already is a manufacturer that does 1:1 perfecly - LG. See the thread on this forum for details but suffice to say it supports all the normal TFT PC monitor features such as auto-adjust and PC modes (1:1) for both DVI and HDMI inputs (it has both). The model I'm waiting to have delivered is the 32LX2R.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom