New dedicated home theater help

Bbshometheatre

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m building a home theater in new house. (It’s my 3rd but last). So the room will be 16X30 with risers on first 15ft then 7.5 riser then floor level. It will have wet bar in back, no windows and entrance in back left side wall. I’m thinking of going with a9.2 receiver with buttkickers. Any help with speaker placement and tips for the biggest screen for the best experience.

I’m building a home theater in new house. (It’s my 3rd but last). So the room will be 16X30 with risers on first 15ft then 7.5 riser then floor level. It will have wet bar in back, no windows and entrance in back left side wall. I’m thinking of going with a9.2 receiver with buttkickers. Any help with speaker placement and tips for the biggest screen for the best experience.

Firstly speaker placement is "relatively" easy. Assuming you want to go Atmos/DTS-X (and I would definitely encourage it) the bible is this document

It tells you everything you need to know.

There are literally 100's of screen size/distance calculators around. Two I use are

But screen size and ratio is very subjective and very much down to the individual. In mine, I've gone for the biggest possible 2.40:1 screen I can possibly fit. Many would think it's too big for the room I have but I think it's going to be ok.

Those risers seem huge, do you need to have them so big? I'm assuming your first row is on the first 7.5foot riser? Why not have the first row on the floor and do away with having to build such a huge riser? No idea what you're trying to achieve of course but I'm having a hard time envisioning what you're trying to achieve.

G

Here a screenshot of the room. I can extend or shrink the risers. I’m thinking 2 rows of 4 chairs and maybe a bar behind the back row. Thanks for the reply and the link. It’s appreciated.

Attachments

• 48F66F2C-6062-4F96-9C67-B3CC02ED2120.png
    48F66F2C-6062-4F96-9C67-B3CC02ED2120.png
    697.6 KB · Views: 69
OK if by " you mean inches then I don't think your calculations are right. Theres a riser calculator here

It's not an exact thing but I'd expect your risers to be nearer to 12 inches each or more. Even mine, in my room come out at 9 inches and it's a much smaller room. That said I might be wrong about the way the room affects the riser height but you'll get a better idea using that calculator.

Also why are all your measurements in inches, are you American? Working in inches in the UK is generally a headache (though some still work in inches of course) but while they still sell wood generally known as "2*4" etc. almsot everything else is now in mm or m. If you are American then I'd suggest starting a thread on avsforums which is the American equivalent of this site. Not that you're not welcome of course but they will be able to advise better on US based materials, suppliers, convensions etc.

G

! Am from US so to convert room it’d be 5.3 meters by 10 meters. The risers will be about 30 cm high then about 15 cm. Looking to put 2 rows of 4 theatre reclining chairs and maybe a bar behind the back row. Just wanted to see where the best placement for speakers would be, best screen size (ceiling height will be 4 meters),

! Am from US so to convert room it’d be 5.3 meters by 10 meters. The risers will be about 30 cm high then about 15 cm. Looking to put 2 rows of 4 theatre reclining chairs and maybe a bar behind the back row. Just wanted to see where the best placement for speakers would be, best screen size (ceiling height will be 4 meters),

No worries and welcome. Such a huge room - not that us Brits are jealous of the size and amount of space Americans seem to have or anything!

I've already given you links to work out answers to the questions you've asked so you should now be set.

Anything else you're after?

G

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom