New dedicated home cinema speakers

Wspr

Novice Member
Hey everyone

Im building a dedicated home cinema room in my basement.The room is 4.5m Χ 4.5m and 2.40 ceiling

we have

The gear we have:2 polk T50,2 polk T15,1 polk t30,1 sub psw10,1 denon 2600h 7.1,4 mission 753,1 rotel final amplifier(dont remember model)

1st thought:I buy 1 denon 3700h and add the rotel amplifier.Now i have 11.2.Then add mission 753 as L-R floorstanding speaker,buy a new mission central speaker,add mission 753 as surround back,Polk t50 as surround,t15 in ceiling and buy a pair of rc60 polk as in ceiling and 2 svs subwoofer.

So with a denon 3700h,a central mission speaker,2 rc60 polk and 2 svs subwoofers i get 11.2 dolby atmos

With this plan i dont use polk T30,denon 2600h and polk psw10 so i can sell it.

2nd thought:add 2 rc60 polk and dont use mission 753 so i stay with simple 7.1

Can u think a combination of those that actually work or i have to sell all and get a proper surround speakers of the same brand?

Thanks for your answears

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Do you like the sound of 753 more than Polk T50? They were more expensive speakers back in the day where as Polk T is the most affordable budget range.

People recommended the Mission 75C centre with those mains. Not sure can you find it as so old.
Mission 75C - Hi-Fi Database - Centre Speakers

Another option would be to find 751 bookshelf pair and use one as centre which shares identical drivers to 753. Some member used it laid on it´s side, ideally it would be upright vertically though. This would be closest match tonally.

index.php

Otherwise it looks decent plan. Two SVS PB1000 Pro`s for subwoofers and you don`t have to buy super expensive 2ch poweramp for the overhead speakers. Rotel is usually quite expensive unless you buy used one. Denon X3700H can power 9 speakers so you only need some 50-100w 2ch power amp for the second pair of atmos speakers.

You said 11.2 but you probably meant 7.2.4 if you building atmos rig. It would then look like this see the link below. Follow the Dolbys recommendations closely regarding speaker placement/angles etc. This would also mean you don´t have couch against rear wall cause you need space behind.

Wspr

Novice Member
Hello again

Thanks for replying.
I meant 7.2.4 indeed.I already have the rotel poweramp and i also have 5 polk t series speaker and 4 mission 753...So the real question here is:

Can i match those 2 different speaker brands to create an 7.2.4 dolby atmos without buying new speakers or it will not work right because of the different tonally between polk and mission?

And if i can match,what center speaker should i buy?(im sure that i cant find mission 75c or bookshelf nowadays).I already have polk t30 but obviously a need something better to use if i go with mission floorstand front R-L

If i can match what is the proper setup with 5 polk and 4 missions?
for example im thinking:
1.mission 753 front RL
2.mission 753 surround R-L
3.polk t15 on ceiling
4.polk rc60 in ceiling(ill buy those)
5.Polk t50 surround back R-L
6.center.i have polk t30 but i think it will not work tonally.So i have to buy another but what?

Thanks in advance

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You should start with the plan you have. Run the Audussey setup with new receiver and then you will know basically. You are mostly mixing the effect channels so there is good chance when all speakers are level matched and eq`d that you will enjoy it, however even if you feel there is some tonal mismatch you can solve that later. People are often in so big rush to get everything right away.

If you have 4 of the 753 tower speakers i would use one of them for centre, but that would mean raising tv higher or opting for acoustically transparent projector screen which drops in front of the speakers. If you can use third 753 then you would start with 5.2.4 system and later think about adding the surround back channels. If you sit close to rear wall then you might not benefit from them much as they would be so close.

If you can`t do that then Mission 75C used or the Mission 751 bookshelf speaker as i mentioned would be closest for centre judging by comments of owners. It can be hard to find those so if neither of these three options doesn`t work out then it gets trickier.

The most optimal scenario below, using three identical speakers for the LCR:

IMG_0033a.jpg

at-screen-with-3-towers-behind-jpg.3037178

Wspr

Novice Member
Oh i didnt know that i can use another one floorstand speaker as center!!!Thanks for info
Hmmm can i put horizontally or im talking nonsenses??

I believe ill stick to the plan with trial and error.Listen and proceed,change or not

Thanks a lot mate!!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Oh i didnt know that i can use another one floorstand speaker as center!!!Thanks for info
Hmmm can i put horizontally or im talking nonsenses??

I believe ill stick to the plan with trial and error.Listen and proceed,change or not

Thanks a lot mate!!

Of course you can but it`s far from ideal cause the horizontal dispersion suffers (for the listeners outside) and it looks umm horrible. :laugh: You would still need to get the speaker at decent height though. So when you keep the centre (third 753) vertically you will get better horizontal dispersion for the listeners at sides. Acoustically transparent screen would be easiest so it would drop in front of the speaker (leaving X amount of space between speaker to screen which you can ask from the screen manufacturer).

Basic information here, read up: Optimizing Front LCR Speaker Placement, Configuration and Performance

Wspr

Novice Member
I know what you mean mate but i have already put fake walls with cables so i cant do it right now...Its better find a proper center speaker.Ill start with polk t30 and then i ll move to something else better

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom