1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW DAPS Sony NW-A3000/1000 and iPod Nano

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Steven, Sep 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Sony HD5 replacement here: http://www.atraclife.com/index.php?showtopic=179 also is a new flash player

New iPod Nano here: http://portableaudio.engadget.com/entry/1234000993057909/ and also official Apple UK site

I'd like to offer my apologies to Keano who I doubted....also worth a visit is www.dapreview.net

PLAYERS DUE NOV 19TH 05, (4TH QUARTER O5)
    as usual, release date subject to change. Looks like we'll be ditching SS 3.2 guys. I presume all the previous DAPs and PSP will be supported, although details haven't been confirmed

Some real life pics of new Sony HD DAPs
    First in-depth play of Nano
    Pics of the Nano. Its small

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
  3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    NW-A3000, 20GB Violet and Silver; Limited Edition Color - Black

[​IMG][​IMG]

NW-A1000, 6GB Violet, Silver, Blue and Pink; Limited Edition Color - Black and gold
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

NW-A3000/1000 Series | Features & Specifications
    - New (2" for NW-A3000 and 1.5" for NW-A1000) gorgeous OLED display
    - Automatic Japanese syllabary conversion
    - features "Artist link"
    - new "Intelligent shuffle" feature
    - 6 EQ mode: Heavy/Pop/Jazz/Unique/Custom 1/Custom 2
    - utilize new "CONNECT Player" software
    - support MP3 ~ 32-320 kbps, ATRAC3 ~ 66/105/132 kbps and ATRAC3plus ~ 48/64/96/128/160/192/256/320 kbps. *WMA support will be enabled via a firmware update this December 2005
    - Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    - Color matching stylish headphone
    - Power supply: Lithium ion chargeable battery
    - utilize either USB charge/AC adaptor charge.
    - Equipped with G protection
    - Size: 65.2 × 104.2 × 21.4mm (depth, height, width)
    - Mass: approx. 182g

NW-A3000/1000 Series | Accessories
    - "CONNECT Player" (CD-ROM)
    - headphone (40cm in length)
    - headphone extension cords (65cm in length)
    - USB cable
    - Quick Start Guide
    - AC adaptor and AC cords

Special thanks to ATRAClife forum for info

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    iPod Nano

via Macworld:

"iPod nano

After summarizing the existing iPod product line, Jobs explained that the iPod mini is what all of Apple's competitors are aiming for. Apple is "going to do something pretty bold," he said. Apple is "replacing it with something new."

Jobs calls the iPod nano "an entirely new ground-up design, that also has 1000 songs in your pocket." The white device features a color display and can support photos, uses a grey click wheel to navigate, and is 80 percent smaller in volume than the original iPod - thinner than a number two pencil, said Jobs. The iPod nano weighs 1.5 ounces or 42 grams.

Compared to the iPod mini, the iPod nano is half the thickness and 62 percent smaller by volume. It uses a 30-pin dock connector, so the iPod nano plugs in to existing iPod accessories, and can also connect using USB 2.0. It features a 14-hour rechargeable battery. It achieves its small size by eschewing a hard disk drive in favor of flash memory.

The iPod nano also features a new graphical clock, games, stopwatch and lap timer, and a screen lock that uses the click wheel like a combination lock.

"White is our signature color for the iPod ... but we decided to so a second color, and we tried it because it looked so cool," said Jobs, "so we're doing a black model as well."

The iPod nano ships today in 2GB and 4GB configurations for US$ 199 and $ 249 respectively. Apple is also offering customized iPod nano accessories including a $ 29 dock, $ 39 lanyard with built-in headphones, color-coordinated armbands for $ 29 each, and "nanotubes" -- green, purple, blue and pink slipcases, sold in boxes of five, for $ 29 each."

First in-depth play here

5. Terraliptar

Terraliptar
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From dapreview: "More Sony stuff: A 2 GB flash player was introduced (the NW-A608, looks like NW-E507, probably just a capacity bump),"

Anyone else heard about this? I've been waiting for a 2GB Sony DAP to come out.

6. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Why's it so chunky? 182g!. Also why on earth are Sony players perpetually stuck at 20GB?, what about the folks that want to use lossless codecs and high bitrate audiobooks?. Also are the gorgeous flash players really only 512mb?, surely there must be one gig at least?.

7. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what is gonna happen to the bean???

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    NW-A608, 2GB Violet, Silver, Blue and Pink; Limited Edition Color - Emerald Blue and Gold
    NW-A607, 1GB Violet, Silver, Blue and Pink; Limited Edition Color - Gold
    NW-A605, 512MB Violet, Silver, Blue and Pink

NW-A600 Series | Features & Specifications
    - new "Intelligent shuffle" feature: 1) Most frequently listened tunes shuffle mode, 2) Time/Date based shuffle mode, 3) Artist link shuffle mode and 4) Sports shuffle mode.

1) [​IMG] 2) [​IMG] 3) [​IMG] 4) [​IMG]

- beautiful OLED screen display
    - features digital sound presets ~ adjustable bass and treble; up to 8 different stages.
    - utilize new "CONNECT Player" software
    - High-speed USB 2.0(*1)
    - FM tuner: Reception frequency is FM:76.0-90.0MHz, and TV:1-3ch.
    - built-in lithium ion battery
    - 50 hours music playback; rated at ATRAC 132kbps mode with power saving mode
    - support MP3 (VBR & CBR) ~ 32-320 kbps, ATRAC3 ~ 66/105/132 kbps and ATRAC3plus ~ 48/64/96/128/160/192/256/320 kbps. *WMA support will be enabled via a firmware update this December 2005
    - Jog shuffle control dial
    - Stylish headphone that matches to each main body color
    - Clock/Day display
    - Size: 84.9 × 28.8 × 13.9mm (depth, height, width)
    - Mass: approx. 48g

NW-A600 Series | Accessories
    - "CONNECT Player" (CD-ROM)
    - USB cable
    - Quick start guide
    - Smart clip
    - Carrying pouch
    - Matching color headphone.

Again, thanks to ATRAClife forum for info

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2gb, 1gb and 512mb ver look same, except for special edition coloured ones

9. Terraliptar

Terraliptar
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info LFC_SL.

A 2GB flash player which supports ATRAC3+ @ 320kbps is just what I'm after. I'd rather have had one which took AAA batteries but that's my only complaint.

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    [​IMG]

CONNECT Player incorporates a new and improved user interface that features a simple ‘drag and drop’ function for easy transfer from library to player.“CONNECT Player” supports the new functions within Sony WALKMAN as well as providing automatic software updates and increased Codec support

now adds WMA support

DRAG and DROP?! WMA support is via firmware upgrade this Dec

11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Drag & drop = drag & drop onto Connect Player from explorer, drag & drop from library to player. Something that iTunes / Mediasource have supported for quite a while. Basically they've made it look and work a lot more like iTunes.

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Of course, it is the actual UI of the new HD DAPs, and the interaction with the new software that will make or break it for me

I've learnt my lesson though. I'll let someone else buy the player 1st, before making my mind up :rolleyes:

Then there's Sony's policy of releasing new players in the UK 1st. Are we a guinea pigs now? I'm probably just paranoid :rolleyes:

13. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Sony 20gb players look great, but the surface looks very, very prone to scratching.

Still, looking nice, and the murder of SS would be good ;)

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Wow, Apple must take the UK public for idiots. Which we must be for these (I think) insane prices taken from official Apple UK store:

2gb Nano £140
    4gb Nano £180

As for the Sony's, did new shuffle features warrant a new player? Its a good thing that SS is no more (hope new connect software doesn't have OTT DRM). I mean, apart from new shuffle options and new design, you don't get anything over a HD5. So maybe get a HD5 which will invariably get cheaper?

15. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why would you make the player bigger? why? i liked that the hd's were all tiny compared to the iPod...WHY!?

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Still hold in palm of hand small though

17. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea, no arguments there, its the same demensions as the ipod now...but id think they'd anticipate that the ipod will be made small soon enuf...im just not sure about these players...maybe i was expecting too much

18. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also, ive gotta say, they look a lot like creatives zen and rios karma

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Its a shame you don't have contact with your source no more. Was he found out....:rolleyes: ...... :rolleyes:

20. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    picked up two nanos this afternoon from the apple store in regent street. Very nice and very small. Its the thinness that does it.

This is the killer thing for me - its not that its smaller than an ipod - its that its small enough to just not worry about. No need to think 'should I lug that around', your headphones will probably take up more space when spooled up.

Although a lot less storage than my 40GB photo, it should have plenty enough for my day to day needs.

21. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    It's even fatter than the fattest pod now!, the thing I liked most about the HD1 and 3 was the small neat credit card size so now they go and release this horrid bulky queer shaped thing with garish colours. How they can design such lovely flash players then go on and design a horrid looking hard drive unit is beond me, talk about a backward step. I mean who on earth is going to buy that?, it must be the largest 20GB on the market right now. Even the most ardent Sony fanboys must admit that the style of any of their previous HD units is far sexier.

22. Bacon_N_Cheese

Bacon_N_Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have just boughten my HD5 player. Although the new player looks funky and a bit ugly. Is it possible for me to return it to Sony ( I bought from sony style) and try out the new player when it comes out?

23. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I ordered my engraved Nano today aswell :), i'm hugely disappointed by the small memory (I was expecting an 8GB mini model soon), though for flash is really huge!. I'm actually quite looking forward to having the album art on screen and a nice colour screen, a bit shocked that the battery actually went down from the ipod color's 15 to 14!, although it's still 2 hours more than my 4G I guess, still crap though.

I currently only have 1GB of music, although I have a lot of stuff still to download. I figure buy the time I hit 4GB in a year (hopefully) there will be an 8GB model for me to buy, I just sold my 20GB 4G for £80 so I will sell my Nano in a year or less. If I run out of space before there are greater capacities then smart playlists will manage the situation for me, keep me supplied with a fresh batch of songs every couple of weeks.

24. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at its widest points it is a little bit wider and longer (by about 60-80mm maybe) but cuz of the rounded edges, its overall surface area is probably about the same

25. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  26. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this new Sony HD DAP and I've got to say, like others, I'm quite disappointed.

Like others have said, the size, not a good idea to go bigger and heavier, but the larger issue I have is the mention of these accessories. Does this mean that they are planning on keeping the design/size the same for the new few iterations, in order to keep the accessories compatible?

Am also disappointed with appearance of what looks like more buttons. Surely they could of gone down the rocker route for better scrolling? At least it sounds like they have expanded the functionality of the Initial search to that of the HD5, so I guess that's a start.

I've only had a quick look and nothing jumped out at me, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but has there been any mention of on the fly playlists and track queueing? I believe this is an important feature that was missing from the earlier HDx's.

27. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hasnt been a mention of such, but there are no official specs released yet, that ive seen...just its physical dimensions and some new gimics

28. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive gotta say tho - not that im impressed much by sonys new players - apple must be getting a lil disturbed by sonys pushing into their territory. these players arent really gonna be much of a match to the ipods, but they've gained more attention now with these players now more than ever and have torn away their old strategy to create the "Connect" program...if played right, it cud gain just enuf precedence to allow a second generation of connect players to be released in the following year that cud finally wow us a bit...
    sonys let us down so far, but the over scheme of connect seems to be a good match to apples iTunes schematic - maybe sony wanted to start over right, so they cud finally move on in the coming year

29. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow! im like, so buying one, when i get the money, when it gets realeased and so long as the 5th gen ipod isnt better :D

30. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any info on the battery life, or if it has a removable battery