New DAC - Is Panny BD35 a worthy Transport for £1000 DAC?

chris42

Standard Member
I recently bought a Panny BD35 bluray player to go with my 7 year old Meridian stereo amp and Mission 77 speakers. I dont often listen to CDs but enjoy music dvds and want to improve the audio performance on my system. Was considering spending up to 1k on a DAC. However, would the BD35 be a good enough transport to get the best out of a good quality DAC? Also, would it improve the sound from my TV (PIO 427xd) as it has a digital out (optical)? And would there be any benefit to surround sound from my Yamaha DSD A595a? Sorry for so many questions but I dont spend this amount very often and want to get it right. Many Thanks.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
It may well be worth your while considering something like the Cambridge DacMagic,which is not costly at £200,but also the equal of many DACs costing several times it's price.

This way you'll get the performance of something good,but without a huge outlay,considering you don't use CD often.

chris42

Standard Member
alexs2 said:
It may well be worth your while considering something like the Cambridge DacMagic,which is not costly at £200,but also the equal of many DACs costing several times it's price.

This way you'll get the performance of something good,but without a huge outlay,considering you don't use CD often.

alexs2, thanks for that. My local hifi dealer suggested Cyrus DAC X when I phoned him but I will look into the Cambridge.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Try as many as you can,but don't be put off by the low price of the Cambridge.

It is a properly good little DAC,and should be considered along with the Beresford,Benchmark etc,but with considerable cost saving.

Have a look through this thread also.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/823353-cambridge-dacmagic.html

I jumped on the bandwagon and use this with a headphone system consisting of a TEAC VRDS T1,Cary 300BSEi and AudioTechnica ATH-W1000 headphones,and I think I would notice if the DAC wasnt up to it's predecessors which included a £1k plus DAC.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom