New Customer - Is this normal?

emily_newcastle

Standard Member
Hi, I very recently switched to Sky from Talk Talk....activation date was the 28th April... took most of the day for it to become active...and well, i've had problems ever since. As soon as I try to do multiple things online....(ie. have a few pages open, watch a video on youtube etc) my connection just cuts out completely, I mean all lights are off on the router, except the power one.

Rang sky and they said this is normal for the first 10 days? Maybe it's just me but I find this totally unacceptable. I've never experienced this when i've switched providers previously.

It's the Sagem router and i'm on the unlimited package.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and does it eventually sort itself out? Because at the minute i'm seriously regretting switching from Talk Talk....and that's saying something as Talk Talk are the worst company i've ever came across.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Are you using wifi? There's all sorts of problems with the Sagecom router using wireless.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

emily_newcastle

Standard Member
Yeah I am, that explains why my iPhone never stays connected to it either then. So what should I do? If it's a known problem are they doing anything about it? Or should I phone back and ask for a new router?

Thanks for your reply by the way

Goooner

Distinguished Member
It's a known problem. The Sky help forums, both official and unofficial are full of posts about it. Although Sky won't acknowledge it's a problem it seems.

You can try and get a replacement router, but odds are it'll just be another one the same. I've got another one on the way to me at the moment.

I've managed to keep mine pretty stable by connecting everything wired apart from my iPhone and my wife's phone and it seems to be coping with that so far.

emily_newcastle

Standard Member
Even when I do a wired connection it disconnects....in the sense where it loses all connections completely, as if someone pulled a plug somewhere, and I have to power off and on again. I'll have a look at sky forums and hopefully get some help there. How long have you been with them before these problems started? I am hoping somehow after 10 days everything will be ok.... wishful thinking I know.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
First week it was fine, then day 8 it started dropping left right and centre. Went through all the troubleshooting with Sky to no avail, which is when the decided to send me a new router (which I'm still waiting to receive) a couple of days later I connected everything wired apart from the two phones and it's been pretty much stable. Been with them 19days now.

Unfortunately, my wife told them she thought I'd received the new router and they restarted the 10 day training again yesterday, so I'm stuck at 1mb which will hopefully start to speed up again if it manages to stay stable long enough.

jerryq7777

If you go into the router settings page http://192.168.0.1/sky_wireless_settings-wpa2mix.html change the channel number from auto to 6.And change the mode from auto to 54g auto.
It might help but until new firmware is released for the sagem your only other option is to ask for another router preferably the 2504 version.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Spoke too soon!

Tried to download a couple of podcasts wirelessly to my iPhone this morning, first one around 28mb, worked fine, straight onto the next one 20mb, router went down 3mb into it:(

Previously it seemed to be comfortably coping with the odd download, browsing and YouTube.

It's the 2504 version that I (and loads of other people) are having the problems with.

Changing wireless settings, channel, mode etc... have no effect. The only thing people are having much success with is turning wireless off completely, not an ideal situation with a "wireless" router though:)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Oh dear, another thing to make me think twice about switching from talktalk to Sky :( Is there an alternative router then that doesn't have any problems that I could perhaps ask for when I ring them?

jerryq7777

Spoke too soon!

It's the 2504 version that I (and loads of other people) are having the problems with.

2304N is the problem one that is being sent out MAC address starts C8C.

jerryq7777

My replacement router has been shipped i hope like some others its the older 2504 which seems to work ok.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
2304N is the problem one that is being sent out MAC address starts C8C.

:oops: Yep, you're quite correct, made the mistake of assuming the newer one would have the higher number:blush::D

I'll keep my fingers crossed the one on it's way to me is the 2504 then.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
jerryq7777 said:
My replacement router has been shipped i hope like some others its the older 2504 which seems to work ok.

Well my replacement arrived today and it's another C8C 2304 :(

jerryq7777

rev43

Novice Member
I am supposed to get activated today to the sky unlimited broadband and talk package, I have also been sent the sagemcom 2304n router but what are the supplied sky microfilter like is it advisable to use one of these as well or to continue using my own,

TopMeTom

Banned
I was about to request my MAC code from o2 before reading all this trouble! it's mad why cant you use your own router?

rev43

Novice Member
I was about to request my MAC code from o2 before reading all this trouble! it's mad why cant you use your own router?

I got activated today and everything has gone OK! but I did disable wireless on the supplied Sagecom 2304n router,

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom