New CRT Required.

C

chrischev

Hi, I have a Toshiba 32WD98B TV which is ~4 years old, the tube has gone and Toshiba dealer wants £800-00 to repair! Does anyone know of an alternative source for a new tube which would make this repair viable?
I really do not want to scrap what has been an excellent TV!

Thanks Chris

I have the same TV - mine is about 4 years old. I fear I'm beginning to see problems with mine too.

When you switch the TV on, say 1st thing on the morning it's fine! Excellent picture and all is happy with the world. If however you switch off the TV I have to wait at least a couple of hours before I can switch it back on again.

If I attempt to switch it on too quickly (and we're talking 10-20 minutes at least!) I just get a white dot, or white horizontal line and a humming noise coming from the TV.

I fear the tube is going.... Is this similar symptoms to what you were/are experiencing? After a few hours, it's fine and I can switch it on again - no problems. I'm fearing the worst....!

That's no tube fault! Sounds like the LOPT is on it's way out. A cheap and easy repair!

As Uzey said, that doesn't sound like the tube, but if you leave it with the just the dot or the white line on screen for any amount of time they will burn the phosphors in the tube, which will mean a new tube, so be careful.

Chrischev,

Your tube is certainly available for a lot less than £800, but I assume that the quote you've been given includes the fitting.

Do you have the expertise/equipment to install it yourself?

The quote may seem excessive, but don't forget the dealer won't replace it in your home and so there are two-way carriage charges to consider (possibly with 2 people for a heavy lift).

You have my sympathies but these things sometimes happen.

(This may not be the right moment, but if you do have to buy a new TV, don't forget the John Lewis free 5 year guarantee!)

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies so far, certainly in my case it is definitely the tube that is gone. Toshiba dealer has tested and confirmed this. I remember a company quoting ~£400-00 for a new tube and I can get it fitted locally for £50-00 ish.
Trouble is that I cant find/remember who provided the quote!! :mad:

Sorry to Hijack the thread.

My first visit.

My Toshiba - same model (with extended warranty from Power House... GGGrrrr that went bust.... sob)

Now insists on turning itself off - at any given time... can be a day.. 20 minutes... a week !

Loud noise... turn off.... power it off .... wait for a time (depends) ... then power on ... > standby ... tv will turn on.

Anybody hazard a guess ?
Im finding it very hard to find somebody who will repair a 32" set... `too big for us etc`

Surely not a new TV ?

Hi, Chrischev, how do you know your crt has 'gone' ? what were the symptoms? why has the Toshiba dealer said it needs a new crt ? - 4 years is not that old for a domestic tv.

Spadeychops. The symptoms you describe are not symptomatic of a faulty crt. If you are getting a 'white dot' or 'horizontal white line' then the eht (and lopt) are working. Sounds to me like a capacitor (or two) needs changing somewhere in the vertical scan generation circuitry - not difficult if you have the knowledge and test kit. As GaryB wisely points out beware of running the tv in the white dot/line mode or you will burn a line dot/line on the front of your crt. Regards, yt.

red16v said:
Hi, Chrischev, how do you know your crt has 'gone' ? what were the symptoms? why has the Toshiba dealer said it needs a new crt ? - 4 years is not that old for a domestic tv.

Spadeychops. The symptoms you describe are not symptomatic of a faulty crt. If you are getting a 'white dot' or 'horizontal white line' then the eht (and lopt) are working. Sounds to me like a capacitor (or two) needs changing somewhere in the vertical scan generation circuitry - not difficult if you have the knowledge and test kit. As GaryB wisely points out beware of running the tv in the white dot/line mode or you will burn a line dot/line on the front of your crt. Regards, yt.

FWIW,my kids managed to literally burn the tube out in our old Toshiba CRT in under that time,by fiddling with the brightness and contrast for playing games....replaced for £350 under a warranty from Currys at a total cost to us of £50,so well worth it until they vaporise another.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom