New Creative Zen owner with a few questions....

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JamieBee, Apr 27, 2007.

1. JamieBee

JamieBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have just bought the 4GB V+ model and would like to ask the following questions :

1. Why can you not drag the songs you want from i-tunes (I have i-tunes as I have a shuffle) straight into the Zen folder ? I have to physically go and look for the i-tunes music folder and go into each individual artist's folder and drag and drop from there ?

2. Some of the songs I have put on it do not appear when looking for the track on the Zen. The artist name comes up for example but no songs are in their folder ? I did notice when dragging and dropping that there were a few AAC files (and also one MP4 track downloaded from i-tunes store) I was moving over ? Is this the problem ? Are these not as good quality as an MP3 ? I think there is an option in i-tunes to convert music tracks to AAC when importing - maybe that has happened on a few CDs ?

3. How do I set the clock on the Zen ? I can see how to set the alarm clock but not the clock itself ?

Thanks for your help

2. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I can only help with Q3:

If you've got as far as being able to set the alarm, I don't see why you can't set time too?

Anyway, scroll down to EXTRAS, click centre joystick, DATE AND TIME appears highlighted, click joystick again, then hold down back arrow [this always gives further options] and you can scroll down to SET TIME. Just use the centre joystick to adjust.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    1. 'Cos I-Tunes is a menu, while Zen Folder is a directory? You drag-and-drop files, not pointers to the files.

4. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    There is no AAC support on the Zen. You will need to convert to MP3 to get those songs working:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15283&nav=1

Any songs you have downloaded from iTunes, on top of being in AAC, will have DRM on them, which will need to be stripped. You can get software to do this, or burn the tracks as an audio CD and then re-rip them as MP3's - it will reduce the quality even further, but it removes the DRM.

As for iTunes; that's pretty much an Apple tool.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    For the songs that are compatible can you not just use Windows Explorer for drag and drop?

6. JamieBee

JamieBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks I have set the clock ok.

"1. 'Cos I-Tunes is a menu, while Zen Folder is a directory? You drag-and-drop files, not pointers to the files.

So why is it when you drag and drop files from the i-tunes and menu main library into playlists to burn cds for example that works ok but when you drag and drop files from i-tunes library into the zen it doesn't ? It is doing the same thing but simply having a different destination for the files ?

With regard to my question about tunes being missing - for example I have a Massive Attack tune on the Zen, when you search via album it is not there. This is I think because there is no album title linked to it on the file name. When you search by Artist and select Massive Attack there is nothing in the file. But when you bring up the list of All Tracks it is there and plays fine. I do not understand it. It is a right pain searching all the way through the All Tracks menu just for songs that do not appear in Albums or Artists.

I have heard that the software for the Zen is not too great - if I install it whilst still having i-tunes on the pc for use with my Shuffle will the two cause problems together ? If I do install the Zen software do I have to import my whole library from i-tunes into the Zen library ?

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Having the two pieces of software should not cause a problem.

Although, if you don't want it then you can use WMP or Windows Explorer to transfer the songs to the Zen (the Samsung software doesn't need to be installed).