New CPU

markleaney

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi im thinking of getting a new CPU. I was looking at the AMD Phenom II X4 940, However the socket it needs is a AM2+ i have a ASUS M2N motherboard which has a AM2 socket. Ive been told that they are compatible however i want to be 100% sure before i shell out on the CPU.

The motherboard is compatible but you will not get the full effect of the chip because the motherboard doesnt support all the features of the phenoms.

Im just waiting for my motherboard to come into stock and then my 940 will be delivered :)

Cheers mate might be a case of buying a new board as well then. I mean i wouldn't not want to take full advantage of the new chip :p

Cheers mate might be a case of buying a new board as well then. I mean i wouldn't not want to take full advantage of the new chip :p

if you have to get a new board then why not go intel and new board?? intel are much faster at the moment

if you have to get a new board then why not go intel and new board?? intel are much faster at the moment

No they are not only the hyper expensive i7's are faster by any margin worth talking about.

No they are not only the hyper expensive i7's are faster by any margin worth talking about.

Oh no they are not, even the "old" Q6600 can out ran the "new" Phenom 2 and that includes out running it at the same clock speed.

Oh no they are not, even the "old" Q6600 can out ran the "new" Phenom 2 and that includes out running it at the same clock speed.
thats true. and dont try telling me amd are faster than intel at the moment. amd have been slower than intel ever since the first core 2 duo arrived. the i7's wipe the floor with phenom 2's but both are to pricey at the moment. a q6600 with a little overclock will be more than enough horsepower for most things.

Well, actually, the Phenom 2 keep up with the intel Quads, many have said that a Q6600 wiull beat a Phenom 2, however, most phenoms can easily get to 3.8, if not 4, and they are far more resistant to volts than their intel counterparts,
And when you consider that a good AM2+ board is much cheaper than a good P45 or something of the like, then its a perfectly viable option, (im not an AMD fanboi, never owned one in my life)

Well, actually, the Phenom 2 keep up with the intel Quads, many have said that a Q6600 wiull beat a Phenom 2, however, most phenoms can easily get to 3.8, if not 4, and they are far more resistant to volts than their intel counterparts,
And when you consider that a good AM2+ board is much cheaper than a good P45 or something of the like, then its a perfectly viable option, (im not an AMD fanboi, never owned one in my life)

The AMD's have a hard job keeping up with Intel quads. The Q9550 can beat the AMD's in most test & the cheapest i7 can beat the top Phenom by around 22%. Can you show me the figures that prove the AMD's can easily get to 3.8-4. AMD have been behind for 2 years or more and will be behind for a while yet.

Well, actually, the Phenom 2 keep up with the intel Quads, many have said that a Q6600 wiull beat a Phenom 2
LOL :rotfl: thats a fact and many websites who tested Phenom 1 and 2 v Q6600 proved it, the Q6600 especially in overclocked mode can out run the Phenoms, thats a fact not fiction.

however, most phenoms can easily get to 3.8, if not 4, and they are far more resistant to volts than their intel counterparts
With the right heat sink and fan you can easily do the same with the Q6600.

Its been proven that Phenoms don't over clock that well so clock for clock Intel cpus beat the phenoms.

If you get an core2duo E8600 that can easily be overclocked to over 4 ghz and beat the phenoms.

And when you consider that a good AM2+ board is much cheaper than a good P45 or something of the like
I have P35 and my E6600 can go to 3.4ghz on air with only an increase in FSB, same thing i guess applies to Q6600, If you increase the volts you can get more from intel.

If you get a P31 or P35 and fit a 2nd hand Q6600, Q6700 or what ever they are better value for money than the newest Phenom 2 and AM2+.

The phenom 2 is AMDs fastest CPU but it can not touch intels fastest core2qaud (the Q9650).

If the Phenom 2 was faster and more overclockable than an i7, Q6600, Q9650 i would ditch Intel and go after Phenoms, but they are not and there are roumers that after socket AM3 AMD will make a new CPU with new socket.

Faced with that it would be better to jump from E6600 to an i7 as either way i'd have to get a new motherboard, cpu and DDR3 ram, i7s are the fastest cpus currently around.

By the way I am not anti AMDs, my old PC has an AMD athlon 2500 cpu, thats built like a tank, is still running strong now and it can out run its Intel version so I am an AMD fan, but current AMDs are not as good as their Intel versions.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom