New construction speaker layout challenges

ablock

Standard Member
Greetings all.

I am building a new house and am now at the stage when I need to design and prewire for wall/ceiling speakers. I would love advice from AVF members on how to solve some design challenges in the three rooms where I intend to build in surround systems. These are:
  • Living Room (A): My primary home theater room, where I am willing to invest the most. Ideally a 7.2.4 system here.
  • Family Room (B): Mixed use room. Probably a 5.1 system.
  • Office (C): Room for console gaming and general media consumption. 5.1 should be sufficient here as well.
Some general notes:
  • The living and family room use cases will be 95% streaming shows/movies and 5% music. The office will be 90/5/5 video/music/gaming.
  • I appreciate good audio but don't necessarily consider myself an audiophile. All my speakers must be in-wall or in-ceiling, and I understand that involves audio quality tradeoffs. In addition, some rooms make it impossible to install surrounds at ear level, and I accept the tradeoffs involved in using in-ceiling speakers in place of in-wall speakers in those situations.
  • I am planning to use Denon X6700 or X4700 AVRs to drive the receivers. I realize that there are AVRs/AVPs from other vendors that provide objectively (or subjectively) better sound. But the Denon products offer the right combination of codecs and amp channels for my needs (I don't want separates unless necessary for the subs).
  • I am looking at MartinLogin, B&W, KEF, Sonance, Revel, Monitor Audio, Klipsch, and GoldenEar. I welcome suggestions of specific speakers for any of the applications.
  • All walls are at least 2x6 so in-wall speaker depth should not be an issue.
Below are my questions / challenges for each room, numbered for reference. Floor plans for each room are inlined below the questions.

Living Room (A)
  1. I am hoping to fit a Sony X92 100" screen above the fireplace. This would leave no room for L/R speakers alongside the screen (the center would fit under the screen, assuming it is no taller than 7" [ideally < 6"]). So L/R channels would need to move outboard of the windows. This seems okay given that the MLP is pretty far from the screen. Am I missing a better solution?
  2. Because of the location of the sliding doors, the surrounds will have to be behind the MLP by 15-20°. Is this a problem?
  3. The location of the open entrance to the room precludes the recommended rear surround placement. Options are a) in the ceiling; b) use a single rear directly behind the MLP. Which is preferred (or is there a better option)?
  4. How many subs does this room need, and where should they go?

1627796181333.png

Family Room (B)
  1. I am planning to put an LG C1 83" above the fireplace. The bottom of the screen will be at 50". In order to keep this screen as low as possible, there is no room for a center channel underneath. Is it a problem to place it above? If so, are there any alternatives?
  2. There is room for a left channel in the short wall across from the fireplace, but no matching location for a right channel. What is the best option for L/R channels?
  3. Due to the location of the sliding doors and the shape of the room, there is no suitable location for in-wall surround channels. The wall behind the MLP could be used but that would put the surrounds well behind the listening position. Of course the ceiling is available. What is the best option for surrounds?
  4. How many subs does this room need, and where should they go?

1627797088299.png

Office (C)
  1. Due to the location of the sliding doors, there is no suitable location for in-wall surround channels. The wall behind the MLP could be used but that would put the surrounds well behind the listening position and relatively far away. Of course the ceiling is available. What is the best option for surrounds?
  2. How many subs does this room need, and where should they go?

1627797143372.png

Many many thanks to all for the advice!

/afb

password1

Distinguished Member
Number of subs would depend on the size of the sub. A single large powerfúl sub with a 15 inch driver I imagine should fill the rooms.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom