New construction best practices

ajnarula

Standard Member
Not sure if this is OK to be posted here or needs to go in some other forum.

I am getting a new home built, and would like to get wiring in it (CAT6, COAX). I would like for all equipment to be in a central place where the utilities come in (in the basement) There will be 4 satellite receivers with HDMI outs along with a storage device containing various media forms, and a multiple DVD player. There will be about 7 HD LCD TV's throughout the house along with a Media Room with its dedicated 7.1 receiver and DVD player; it will need to share satellite feed from the 4 receivers in the mechanical room. I understand there is a way to broadcast HDMI over CAT6 and believe that I will be able to watch a combination of 4 HD feeds (from the 4 receivers) to potentially all 8 TV's / media room. Other than the media room there is one other room where I would like surround sound; but the rest will all use standard TV speakers.

I am thinking of wiring 3x CAT6 and 1xCOAX to each location. Would this work and what equipment should I be looking at?

TIA,

phil5366

Banned
Not sure if this is OK to be posted here or needs to go in some other forum.

I am getting a new home built, and would like to get wiring in it (CAT6, COAX). I would like for all equipment to be in a central place where the utilities come in (in the basement) There will be 4 satellite receivers with HDMI outs along with a storage device containing various media forms, and a multiple DVD player. There will be about 7 HD LCD TV's throughout the house along with a Media Room with its dedicated 7.1 receiver and DVD player; it will need to share satellite feed from the 4 receivers in the mechanical room. I understand there is a way to broadcast HDMI over CAT6 and believe that I will be able to watch a combination of 4 HD feeds (from the 4 receivers) to potentially all 8 TV's / media room. Other than the media room there is one other room where I would like surround sound; but the rest will all use standard TV speakers.

I am thinking of wiring 3x CAT6 and 1xCOAX to each location. Would this work and what equipment should I be looking at?

TIA,
ajnarula,

Welcome to the forums. Click on the link below and have a look through my setup, this may give you an idea of what you have described, etc.

I have a 50" Plasma or LCD in every room of the house which is all linked back to a central location.

I do these setups for a living as well as owning a building company. If you have any questions, drop me a line on my thread or as I am sure all the CI's on the forums will be very helpfull with any questions you have.

The forums are full of great people, ready and willing to be of assistance to anyone.

Good luck

Phil.

hornydragon

3 cat6 and 1 coax is just about enough for Video distribution you'll need to do a few other things depending on the hardware you use but an 8x8 HDMI matrix should do the trick, are the Sat receivers Sky/Freesat or a mix of feeds from different satellites? 2-4 Sky HD boxes to 4-8 rooms is fairly standard as is adding CCTV DVD/Blu-ray players and servers.

Top Bottom