New consoles, what upgrades do I need?

Pug72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have a LG65C8 and Denon 2200 with all my sources connected to the AVR and use a Harmony Elite.
I'll be getting both the Xbox Series X & PS5 and was wondering what upgrades I need to enjoy their full potential.

I'm pretty sure the C8 maxes at 4K 60Hz so I'll be getting a LG CX to be able to play at higher resolutions and/or higher FPS with the games that support it, but I'm wondering if I need to upgrade the AVR?

I obviously would then need to connect the consoles directly to the CX 2200 but will it passthrough Atmos from HDMI sources through arc or would I need an earc AVR?
My C8 does with the tv's apps but not sure about from a HDMI source.

If not what are my AVR options? I've been looking at the Denon 3700 but I'm not sure all HDMI inputs will passthrough res up to 4K with 120fps. I'd need at least two to be capable.

My preferred option is to just upgrade the tv to a CX and carry on with the 2200 for now if all works how I desire, but have no problems upgrading the AVR if needed.

You'd need at least the C9 if wanting the required HDMI version 2.1 inputs. This or one of the CX models are compliant with what you'd need to benefit from anything the new consoles can push out aoart from 8K.

Your AV receiver wouldn't offer you the same level of support and isn't even eARC compliant. You can use a receiver that isn't HDMI version 2.1 compliant, but you'd want it to have eARC support in order to let you pass the audio through the TV and out to the receiver. eARC allows you to passthrough HD audio formats and mtichannel CM, the latter is ordinarilly what you'd get from a games console while playing games. If you had an eARC compluant display and AVR then you can potentially connect the new gen consoles directly to the HDMI equipped display and then pass the audio through that TV and out to an eARC compliant HDMI AV receiver using eARC.

Whichever way you look at it now, you'll need to replace the AV receiver as well as your display. You have to decide whether to get an eARC enabled AVR or a receiver that is equipped with HDMI version 2.1? THe former would possibly be cheaper and the latter may need you to look at a Yamaha model if wanting both consoles to be connected directly to the AVR?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom